Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

Thanks dude!

Holy poo poo, I just looked up the price tag on one of those smart flower things I linked earlier. It cost 22 grand for installation, I mean, it will eventually pay for itself, but holy poo poo that is a big chunk of change. I wonder if I can get any tax credits for using solar in Virginia?

So the average annual kwh usage in America is 10,766. The Smart Flowers generate 3,800 - 6,200 kwh annually. I would be on the lower end because I live in a temperate climate. Still, just one of these lowers my average energy usage by a third and is more efficient than static rooftop solar because it tracks the suns movement and cleans itself at night.

This is quoting kindof an old post, but there’s not really any grant money out there for solar installation any more. You can check with your state but it’s been years since that was a thing.

Even before siting is looked at, the #1 most important thing to investigate is whether the power provider in the municipality you plan to build in will buy electricity from you or not. They aren’t required to, and if it’s true muni power they usually won’t.

If you can’t spin your meter backwards, you’re looking at battery storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Septic pump trucks dump at wastewater treatment plants. So you don’t need to wring your hands over that one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xwing posted:

You'd want a soak pit then. Big drat pit where it allows the effluent to seep into the soil. Way smaller footprint.

That may or may not be up to code depending on your state.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

I don't want this thread to die, although the current news cycle seems to be drowning even my thoughts.

So when I can I am going to get together with my dad (electronically) and try to have him come up with something easy to 3d print to hang plants from.

And that is my regularly scheduled screaming into the void.

How are you guys surviving.... whatever form of lockdown you are in, these days?

I'm doing good and had a ton of food anyway. Frankly, my worst problem under the circumstances is how unproductive I am with my homework and housework. Unstructured expanses of time yo. I am in Austria and so far the government response has been good AND they got very lucky.

One thing we have been doing is buying... "bonds?" from the local farms. All of the farms that had short chain schemes are hosed, since no one can go to the usual pickup places, so they have started asking for money, but in the forn of lax loans. Looks like a sort of bond to my ignorant eye. I hope they survive, their produce is amazing.

Anyway. So how are you guys?

Why do you need something 3D printed to hang plants from. What’s wrong with a hook?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

Hahaha, good point, gimme a second, I accidentally put some tech blinders on.

Thing is, to be completely honest, I am dumb and I am not sure I see what you mean. Why don't I tell you my mental image, and then you tell me yours, and I learn from it?

Base assumption is that I am going to have to work with a lot of makeshift stuff.

So some cheap shelves that I can wrap with transparent plastic to make a sort of greenhouse, that I will expose to the sun.

I am not sure how to hang the plants from there, and although making holes in the shelves seems like an option, it's an inflexible one: small plants will drop off, big plants might grow up and be stuck.

Could I lift the plants by hanging then from string, tied to the shelves or something else? Could judicious use of hooks avoid the grow and stuck problem?

The designing a piece for printing came from the consideration that that is something I can do now, and that plastic is pretty sturdy. Maybe there's something that would offer me covenience, like if I print a framework to hang the plants that's easier to move around/place on the shelves. (And because designing the piece would give me something to do together with my dad).

As it is, I'm a dude that knows nothing at all throwing ideas to the wall because I'm under lockdown.

If you could give me ideas that I can try later I'd be very happy. :)

Why do you have to hang plants from shelves? Why not place them on the shelf?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

Plants with their roots in the air are how aeroponics are done...?

Did I maybe not mention that? I am trying to find the easiest makeshift solution, and when I image search I see tons of big nice assemblies and no indication as to the point of contact between plant and structure, which is what I am trying to figure out.

As I said, please, I know I dont know so in every post I explain my mental image.

"Place them on the shelves", but HOW. Do I make the plants just lay there? Maybe that's the case, then describe it!

My man, dont just come here with a one liner. I do not have context to understand what you mean. Describe your mental image in detail. So far you haven't helped me any with your one liners.

Thanks (earnestly) in advance.

Your posts are impossible to read. Get a new style

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

Wow, when is the runoff for "most unhelpful poster 2020"?

That’s a clear and concise question. You should ask more of these instead of the stream of consciousness stuff if you expect people to help or even understand you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

Are you going to contribute or are you just going to poo poo the thread?

Your posts are completely confusing. Take the criticism or don’t. If you started by clearly stating what you’re trying to do you will get better results.