Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I dont know about satellite stuff, but I have looked a few times at long range wifi setups- 3/4g is too spotty to be reliable where I farm but I'm within a mile or two of my mother in laws place which has a reasonable connection- it's pretty cheap and easy if you can stick up a pole at each end with directional antenna with line of sight, homebuilt solutions seem to be able to reach several miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

friendbot2000 posted:

What kind of upload/down speeds do you get with that setup Dan? Do you need a cooperating partner to set this up?

I legit have no knowledge of directional wifi stuff.

I don't have a setup yet- its all still theoretical till I'm living down there, and if I'm gonna have to put up a pole for an antenna I could also stick it in a good place for phone reception and run a 4g signal boosting setup

From what I have seen/remember, homebuilt solutions tend to go for buying particular routers that can then be firmware hacked to allow for full functions/raise the power a bit. Rather than have a wifi antenna out the back of the router, it just runs up a cable to a directional antenna (bought reasonably cheap or made) which gets pointed at a near identical setup at the other end.

Upload/download speed will depend on distance and how much interference you get, but fairly useable- I have only ever used a connection like it once and it was over a few hundred metres but it seemed to respond just fine.

But yeah you will need someone with a connection that doesn't mind you using it and having an antenna and bridge set up for it- look up "wifi bridge" and you will see a range of solutions from cutting up pringles cans and hotgluing antenna inside them to expensive systems that claim 20Gbps.