Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Anybody had experience with Earthbag constructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
I saw a geodesic dome made of bolted together hexagonal acrylic sheets; I don't know the difference between solid acrylic and glass in heat retention other than glass will be better in every way. I don't even know if big acrylic hexes are cheaper than glass but they would be pretty hard to break.

Have you considered polythene sheeting? It's a cheaper, much worse version of glass. But it's cheaper.

Also a dome or greenhouse without "permanent" foundations counts as a temporary structure in my locale so might help avoid permits. although if they hate trailers maybe that's not much help.

Maybe just a glass walled porch facing the sun to trap heat in the house? There is an amusing trend of people in rainy England getting glasshouse/conservatories build onto their house as a connected room, and everyone wilts from the heat in the first summer and replaces the glass roof lol.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
If it's that cold, glass and wood are best at thermal retention. A traditional agricultural greenhouse shape might be cheaper. Especially if self building with timber. Might be better for squeezing a regular cabin inside and maximizing floorspace. I believe that is what the couple did in the popularised example.

There is also a "Dutch" traditional greenhouse design where the walls are flared out rather than 90 degree, to take advantage of refraction.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Haha wow I just realized 20m wide means a 10 metre tall dome. Wow. I know it doesn't have to be a perfect semicircle but do it anyway. one storey cabin w/a three story chimney.