Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I took over a decent-sized WordPress website once that ran a custom theme developed by a team in India and it was a complete nightmare to deal with and I ended up rewriting large parts of the templates and custom plugins to make customization through the admin UI possible beyond basic new posts. Using completely custom meta box scripting that made it difficult to change post type boxes without messing up others instead of like Advanced Custom Fields for example.

I don't blame the developers though the PM process was basically nonexistent and the guy in charge was like a former TV reporter with no software project experience and our org hired a local agency to do it that outsourced the work and I don't think it was clear from the beginning that the development would not be done in-house at that agency. Basically my org dropped like 70k for a poo poo WordPress site that me and another guy had to unfuck as best we could to do anything at all.

The only problem that came up as a result of offshoring specifically was time zone differences made it hard to schedule calls. So this was more an exercise in bad PM and lack of clear business requirements rather than "outsourcing bad."

^^fintech software gives medical a run for the "worst" money. E.g. the standard platforms in the mortgage industry have some of the worst UI and UX ive ever seen. I feel really bad for the people who have to use it daily.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU