Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
If you've done some outsourcing with offshore developers, how has your experience been and who were they?

I've contracted some work on a website and used two companies: Tunga and Sloboda.

Both experiences were exactly the same.

They both start out great, finishing projects quickly and at a reasonable cost. Then as I requested more projects, they began to take their time, do lots of "refactoring" and often end up on the "pessimistic" side of their estimates. When pressed about what was taking so long the usualky answer was that I had asked them to do something they'd never done before and needed a week to research it while I was still being billed. One example was Stripe integration. I find it hard to believe that an established company full of programmers had no one on staff who had set up Stripe for a client before.

Basically, it got worse and worse until I could get to a stopping point and stop working with them.

I know experiences and projects vary wildly but I would like to hear about others' experience with outsourced web development.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OP, have you considered that the pattern is not that foreign developers are bad, but that you start out by giving them the low-hanging fruit, and with time what you give them is harder and harder to implement? We've had similar issues in house where we have a working prototype very early, but then with time elaborations that seem less and less significant take longer and longer. And yeah, the more specialized the problem, the more research is needed to do the later parts.

That seems more likely to me than a company based in the Netherlands and contracting out to African developers and a company based in Ukraine both being bad in ways that do not have to do with the tasks you give them.

Yeah, I think I started the thread out of frustration instead of thinking about it much.

We've made so many mistakes in this process and it's been a great learning experience.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

^^fintech software gives medical a run for the "worst" money. E.g. the standard platforms in the mortgage industry have some of the worst UI and UX ive ever seen. I feel really bad for the people who have to use it daily.

Is this a case of "we'll just use what we've always used because it would be too hard to switch to something better"?

I'd think there'd be huge money in making a program that giant, cash rich organizations would want to pay for.