Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Vomik posted:

This 10,000%. Every time I hear about people casually being racist against Indians work product if you dig deeper you find out they are just dropping poo poo with no context over the wall.

Also part of it is, like any model that is outsourcing (onshore or offshore) the first deliverable will use their best and then they switch over to newer people who may not know as much and move the best people to focus on initial sale

Two great points, the second one is especially a factor for any outsourced stuff. I worked as a subcontractor for a firm that does a lot o e-commerce things here in Sweden and they literally have a “super team” full of very talented people to deliver fast and once the first contract is fulfilled they rotate in a bunch of mediocre maintenance people and milk the client.

A thing I’ve noticed with outsourced developers or testers is a very Cover Your rear end attitude, being very risk averse and paranoid. They also seem to prefer have a way of working that minimizes communication, and argue that some change will cause them to bother us to much where I think the problem is that they don’t bother us enough!

And there is also the whole you get what you pay for thing. Even if you probably can get top tier developers for a lot less in poorer countries the top tier developers aren’t going to be working at the outsourcing firms imho, they’ll emigrate or work at local companies whose whole gimmick isn’t just “we’re cheap”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU