Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO IS BEST CAT
Bartender
Pianist
Cellist
Singer
View Results

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

What is this?

Jazztronauts is a mod game mode for Garry's Mod where you drop into a randomly selected map from the Steam workshop and loot everything - down to the walls of the maps themselves - for money. It was developed by a group of talented folks and features impressive scripting that leverages the source engine and the Steam workshop system in order to accomplish some wild stuff. The game has been out for a while and featured on a few streams, but story mode was only finalized very recently.

It has criminally low coverage for how good it is and I would like to maybe do something about that.

Story mode? What kind of plot can this thing even have?

It's a comedic visual novel with cats and multiple endings. It's about art history and socio-economics. It features a fantastic jazz and funk soundtrack.

I'll just, uhhhh... Let the game introduce itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOoyJLaUfSY
Opening and Stage End Music

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE

The Bartender is a positive thinker! They are nominally in charge of Bar Samsara and the band.

The Pianist's hobbies include RIPPING and TEARING. She's the muscle of the band and is very bloodthirsty.

The Cellist is just trying to stay hosed up, man.

The Singer is precious and must be protected at all costs. They maintain the Mewseum.

I'm here to get hosed up responsibly and get paid in anarcho-corporate scrip that has no value outside of buying more guns and tech from my employers solely so I can do my ultra high risk job. It's a vicious cycle of self-oppression that's perpetuated by uncaring cats who hunger only for vacation and the suffering of those below them.
*Actual model varies wildly.

So how is this going down?
This will be semi-curated VLP. I'll try to minimize my speaking part for most of the bar portions.

The talking bits with the cats and some of the early gameplay will be curated, and everything outside that will be cut down to tolerable length since this isn't a streaming format. Think stream highlights for the smash and grab parts later on. I'll do my best to explain some of the strategies for getting poorly placed shards. Keep in mind that there is zero quality control on what you get once you jump on that trolley, so I'll do my best with what I wind up with.

I plan on making a few non-VLP posts regarding engine mechanics, using the packaged mods, and the Mewseum.

The game's progress is based entirely on the host or server, so I'll occasionally host P2P MP games so we can go clear out maps and work on fetch quests, which can get pretty difficult and time consuming later on. I'll see about organizing times if people want to jump in and play with a group, as public MP games don't give you time for the plot and can become unenjoyably chaotic at times. I'll see how much interest there is.

Keep in mind I'm in the GMT+10 timezone so that might limit that kind of participation, but feel free to organize groups yourselves. The game is certainly best experienced rather than watched, but I totally understand that people can't or don't want to buy a bunch of decade plus old games just to have map prop support for a silly mod of a paid mod.

There's no real set update schedule as of right now, I'll post stuff as I edit it.

:siren:There are portions of the game that are probably not good for you if you have epilepsy or sensitivity to that sort of stimulus. The plot has warnings before they happen.:siren:

Let's get hired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEnRj4COaEg

FANART:

Geemer

Fish Noise

(click for full :nws:)

Crazy Achmed

Tuxedo Ted

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I'm here for lovely cats

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This looks, uh, interesting. If the multiplayer is anything at all like Zelda four swords inasmuch as encouraging the players to subtly dick each other over for profit, then I'm very much looking forward to that part...

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
You can't really dick anyone over other than using map programming to mess with them or kill them. Money is actually split up evenly between everyone in the group at the time, even though it shows the value of the props and brushes that a player will get. It's a real chill game.

pictured: the catchphrase of cowards

Some actual content and getting our first set of fetch quests from the band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBwQUUq_mI

We get to an actual functioning level, talk a bit about brushes and props, and get Cellist's first scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG26_ucQTz0
Music:
Fast Forwards: Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet
Cellist: Soulpersona feat. Princess Freesia - You Did It Again (Extended Pleasure Mix)

Take Five is perhaps one of the best known jazz standards and is named because it's in 5/4 time. The drum solo section is particularly difficult to play for most as the time signature isn't very common and requires you to break a lot of old habits.

Some of the stuff in the Mewseum is very educational! It also helps you understand why you can steal some things and not others. Let's talk about props and brushes.

Props are generally the things you would normally think of as objects in the source engine. They have a predefined model with textures specifically for them. The reason for having the different prop types is because things with physics properties that can cast dynamic shadows are more taxing on the source engine and your computer, relatively speaking. prop_static and prop_detail are very lean and won't cause much trouble even if there are a lot of them because their lighting is pre-rendered when the map is compiled and they don't have physics properties. They're typically used for filler detail in maps. Think pipes on walls and other such decorations. However, cram in 1,000 copies of a prop_physics on your screen and you can expect to crash shortly in the typical classic gmod way.

There's a prop type called prop_physics_multiplayer that uses a simplified collision model to make it easier on the netcode, as well as the server or the host.

prop_ragdoll is what's used for ragdolls. Think dead NPCs. They use up a lot of resources.

The prop stealer can steal all of these things right from the start! We need to make sure we start off picking prop rich maps in order to get enough money for our upgrades in a timely manner.

Brushes are very cheap to render and load compared to models, even when they're very large. You can also assign various textures to them. Because they have to be convex and are typically constructing using basic shapes, they can't achieve a high poly look like most props. As an example, those crates in the Goldeneye map didn't add much to the file size because they were just textured cube tool brushes.

de_vangogh_s was made almost entirely from brushes!

Let's use some walls for example:

In Hammer (the editor), someone constructs the above wall using a box shape and two panels, then specifies that only the front side is to be rendered. When the level is compiled (aka baking), everything except the visible wall is removed and the lighting for those portions is pre-rendered and set in place so that your computer doesn't need to do more calculations for lighting every time you look at it. The result is shown on the lower half.

The Ultimate Aim upgrade for the prop stealer will allow us to steal all of these things made out of brushes, leaving behind only the shiny pink void. Larger things take more time to steal, but this time comes down as you purchase more World Stealing Speed upgrades. Stealing very large brushes on the ground or walls will also cause the screen to shake!

Next Time: how to use the dresser, smashing+grabbing with a helper, and more cats

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 15, 2018

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Did they get the mewseum working with actually putting the NPCs and objects in there?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I've had custody of cats like the Pianist.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Well, this looks rad

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

RickVoid posted:

Did they get the mewseum working with actually putting the NPCs and objects in there?

Unfortunately no. The implementation is probably really tricky to pull off in a way that doesn't make the game unstable. The team said they were taking a break for a bit, but just the other day it updated so you don't need to redo the cat requests in ng+ so I wouldn't be surprised if the mewseum was working before I'm done with everything.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Oh hey this is from the Elevator Source bunch?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
This game looks incredible, the music is top notch, and I very much like the cats. Definitely following this.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Fish Noise posted:

Yeah, Mr. Sunabouzu and Foohy both worked on this too.

Planning on updating tomorrow. Is there any interest in getting an organized time for a large group? Keep in mind I'd be on at like 3 or 4 AM US Central time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I for one am totally in favour of ram-raiding custom half-life levels and stealing poo poo in order to help a space cat get hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Cellist is my spirit animal.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Whatever the name for words popping up with little sounds to represent voices or w/e, this game has the best one of that ever.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Agreed, but I also like The Pianist.

Atlatl posted:

Yeah, Mr. Sunabouzu and Foohy both worked on this too.

Planning on updating tomorrow. Is there any interest in getting an organized time for a large group? Keep in mind I'd be on at like 3 or 4 AM US Central time.

I'd totally be up for it if I didn't have a roommate that'd murder me for being loud that early in the morning.

The Bold Kobold fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 15, 2018

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

So hi. I was the writer for the Cellist, though I spot-filled a few other character scenes and was more or less main editor for the rest of the script. The reception our dumbass shitpost of a game mode has gotten has been staggering. loving Jeff Gerstmann spent the better part of the last UPF and a little over ten minutes on the latest podcast praising us, we've got tens of thousands of subscribers to the mod, several news articles about it, a bunch of mid-name streamers have poked it a bit, it's absolutely insane. I'm glad to see everyone in here liking the game as well. Our code team had to do some deep, powerful dark wizard poo poo to make Jazztronauts function at all, let alone add the bells and whistles like the trolley and some of the visual effects, and we all contributed what we did in our spare time, so seeing this blow up has been immensely gratifying (and terrifying.)

Crazy Achmed posted:

This looks, uh, interesting. If the multiplayer is anything at all like Zelda four swords inasmuch as encouraging the players to subtly dick each other over for profit, then I'm very much looking forward to that part...

We actually tried this model at first in playtesting and it just ended up sucking a lot and not being much fun because money is used for tangible upgrades and such more than in Four Swords where it's mostly bragging rights. We do keep a scoreboard to let people have that feeling, though.

Robodog posted:

Whatever the name for words popping up with little sounds to represent voices or w/e, this game has the best one of that ever.

The first time the programmers got it working I burst out laughing at their pick for the Cellist, and my snap reaction was "he sounds like a clown at the bottom of a well, he's perfect."

Atlatl posted:

Unfortunately no. The implementation is probably really tricky to pull off in a way that doesn't make the game unstable. The team said they were taking a break for a bit, but just the other day it updated so you don't need to redo the cat requests in ng+ so I wouldn't be surprised if the mewseum was working before I'm done with everything.

Yeah, it was very much an "Oh god this is way more complicated than we expected" situation. The team's official position is we are unsure we're gonna support the game long term beyond critical patches and smoothing out the game curve, but if the code wizards ever get the drive to do something more for the game that's one of our goals AFAICT.

Fish Noise posted:

Only some of it! It's not really affiliated in any way beyond a couple friends from that gang deciding to do some bullshit and shanghaiing me, the other writer, and some other friends in the process.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Glad to see this is getting attention, this teams stuff has always been the best stuff to come out of g-mod/source (these are the same guys responsible for Jaykin Bacon too iirc).

OP, you planning for 3 or 4 AM central time tonight/tomorrow morning? I'd be down I think, just need to find a suitably awful character model.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

The Bold Kobold posted:

Agreed, but I also like The Pianist.

I'd totally be up for it if I didn't have a roommate that'd murder me for being loud that early in the morning.

Actually I might just go for it anyway. I have a hosed sleep schedule and am usually awake by that time anyway.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've had Garry's Mod for ages and never so much as touched it. This might change that. Is it easy to just pick up and play or do I need to deep dive into a community with tons of tribal knowledge and cargo culting poo poo before I can get any proper enjoyment out of it?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Geemer posted:

I've had Garry's Mod for ages and never so much as touched it. This might change that. Is it easy to just pick up and play or do I need to deep dive into a community with tons of tribal knowledge and cargo culting poo poo before I can get any proper enjoyment out of it?

Nah. You just need G-Mod, and also you mightnwant to install Half Life 2, episodes 1 and 2, and Team Fortress 2 for texture reasons. Counter Strike source as well if you have it (I don't, to my shame).

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

At least gmod is easier to get into now. You don't even need to install a subversion (ugh) client to get wiremod anymore, I think.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I haven't played gmod in aeons. This brings back wonderful memories, and you got the aesthetic spot on. Cats, jazz and a bus.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

I'm down to loot the poo poo out of random maps, and I'm available at 3 AM. Where are you organizing it, the LP discord?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Iamgoofball posted:

Where are you organizing it, the LP discord?

It'd definitely help to know if this is the case or not.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Not on discord, so if that's what gets used, if someone just wants to pm the info needed to get in when it happens, that would be great.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
:randpop:
i knew i had seen you somewhere before

Big question about big big spoilers: which one of yalls recipe is that in the normal ending? there's no non-instant butterscotch on island so I'm using vanilla. will this end in disaster? either way I'm gonna make a cooking vid

:siren: I'll announce game times here (I'm not on the discord), but I have no idea how many people I can host on p2p so I'll consider it a stress test the first time around. Due to work murdering me and everyone I know this week, it won't happen during the weekdays and I'll try to give everyone a few days' notice. Feel free to add me on steam if you want. Any time I'm playing gmod I'll run it as a p2p server unless I'm trying to record cutscenes that don't mix well with crowds, so feel free to jump in.:siren:

Starting off with more sane maps. Protip: don't stand up once the trolley starts moving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mH2PEYdK-I
Filler Music: Herbie Hancock - Hang Up Your Hang Ups

Herbie Hancock is a highly talented jazz pianist who got his big break playing with Miles Davis. While most people know him for his pioneering role in electronic music with hits such as Chameleon and Rockit, he was also highly influential in changing the sound of jazz through the 1960s, making it much more approachable to non-musicians and giving the rhythm section (traditionally bass, drums, and/or piano) a greater role and more freedom.

Using the Outfitter Mod
The Outfitter Mod is how everyone in multiplayer games can show up with whatever model they want! It allows you to load a model directly from the Steam Workshop and then push it out to everyone else on the server.

First, hit C to bring up the context menu. The Outfitter symbol will be somewhere in the top left corner. Click it!

This menu will come up, showing a history of past models and a few options. Choosing Open Workshop will bring up an in-game browser with the Steam Workshop loaded and the search limited to player models.

Use the search bar to find whatever you want. There's almost everything on here.

Click the model you want.

Hit the subscribe or select button. The browser will close and you'll see some loading bars pop up in the bottom right.

Select the model you want (it gives you this option if you subscribed to a pack), then hit Submit to broadcast it to everyone else. The other people will then download the model. Please be courteous and avoid super high poly massive models.

The Autowear option will save your selection, automatically loading and broadcasting it whenever you move to another map on a server/host with the Outfitter.

The Camera button gives you a rotating third person view so you can verify that your new model has loaded correctly, and you're good to go.

:siren:Cellist's good stuff flashing lights/colors trip is at the end of this one.:siren:

Time to turn in all that garbage we got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJcTs413QU

Next time: the maps get stupid, pipes cries, i crash a bunch, and

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Okay gently caress The Pianist The Cellist is my spirit animal now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So... does Jazztronauts have any sort of fail state or challenge when you're raiding a level? Like, can you die(without just respawning) or somehow gently caress it up and gain nothing/less from it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can grab a thing that has triggers on it and render yourself unable to trigger stuff, thus potentially losing out on more poo poo to grab, I guess?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
You can always respawn. The only way I think you wouldn't be able to get everything in a level is if there are solid walls or huge gaps or kill triggers you can't steal between parts of the map and you don't have enough upgrades to get past it.

I guess the closest thing to losing is something like that highway level I first got that just kills you so you can't even leave without just quitting out of gmod.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Atlatl posted:

:randpop:
i knew i had seen you somewhere before

Big question about big big spoilers: which one of yalls recipe is that in the normal ending? there's no non-instant butterscotch on island so I'm using vanilla. will this end in disaster? either way I'm gonna make a cooking vid

That would be my grandmother's recipe that I put in the game in her memory. She passed away shortly before development started. The normal ending script had that option slotted down as a jokey response that'd have some random nice recipe in it, and I asked if it was cool to make it more sincere, and got the go-ahead. I genuinely have no idea what vanilla mix would do to the recipe - the butterscotch is there to make it a caramel-y, toasty sauce, so I think it'd end up being something wildly different than intended (though it might be good too, who knows!). You can get it off Amazon, though I'm not sure where you mean by 'on island' so if it's Hawaii or somewhere shipping might be a bit of a bitch. Either way, I'm gleeful that you're considering doing it - I think you'll be the first one who has.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, and it's possible for shards to spawn in inaccessible locations because the algorithm that spawns them is imperfect, but there's no penalty for not getting them all and no reward for getting them all.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but you don't need to get all the shard to leave. You can just call the trolley and ditch if you can't get something.

I live on Guam so ordering it would take like a week at best to get out to me but now I feel like I have to do this right so I'll order some now and look harder.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I was told to download this game by a goon friend and now these is an LP. what the poo poo is this

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
it's some nonsense is what

:siren: Turns out I don't have to work Saturday morning so I'll be hosting around 9 AM at GMT+10. That's Friday evening or some poo poo mainland US side.:siren:

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Shot you a friend invite for the game.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Nah. You just need G-Mod, and also you mightnwant to install Half Life 2, episodes 1 and 2, and Team Fortress 2 for texture reasons. Counter Strike source as well if you have it (I don't, to my shame).

Thanks for the advice. I only have vanilla CS, so basically every map looked like pink missing texture hell with infinite ERROR models. Luckily you can just download the CS:S resources from a million sites, some of which aren't even trying to do shady poo poo like slip in a malware installer.

I'm having fun with the scavenger hunt and tearing apart some faithfully reconstructed Yorkshire town. But sometimes you have to wonder about the choices map makers make, like some map called doll house with not a single doll prop. loving false advertising!

Also it turns out that pressing Autowear on Dresser takes you to hell where you have an 80% chance of crashing the game on map load. I actually had to try to reverse engineer that plugin to figure out that it's actually possible to unset Autowear and even then I'm still not sure how I managed to turn it off.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
:siren: we're live. come on down :siren:

Expect high pings, which really don't matter at all for this.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

I forgot that it being Friday here didn't mean it wasn't Saturday over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah the international dateline make times weird.

Thanks to Kobold and Goofball for stopping by. None of that stuff is gonna show up for like two weeks but at least there was a run of " " good " " maps.

let's talk about art history, part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCGgTnqWbnk
Music:
Maynard Ferguson - Give it One
Maynard Ferguson - Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky) Special Disco Version

Some people who are coincidentally big dumb babies say that trumpets should play in a controlled register with good tones. True heroes die screaming their part up an octave while staring the conductor or band leader in the eye like you wanna stop me you gotta fight me on stage. Maynard Ferguson is Canadian, A TRUE HERO OF THE PEOPLE, and the patron saint of playing trumpets really loving high and loud. Playing at those pitches is incredibly taxing and unless you're a freak like him then any attempt at replicating one of his solos without considerable training will probably result in you blowing out your lip and spraying blood everywhere like a lovely horror movie jump scare.

He's pretty widely considered one of the best trumpet players of all time and there are very, very few people even today who are physically able to play some of the pieces written for him. He was also extremely talented in a number of instruments and was an excellent classical musician first, but that's not really what he's famous for. Maynard Ferguson dropped out of high school to become a musician, picked up jazz, and moved down to the US in the hopes of playing in on of Stan Kenton's big bands. He got famous playing with Stan Kenton and later got picked up as a studio player for movie soundtracks for a while. He eventually got out of that - mostly because his contract didn't allow him to play in clubs anymore - and got into being a big band leader where he produced a lot of hits during the 70s.

We hit the " good " maps so Pianist is a big meanie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogE7OZibAng
Music:
John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Imagine being such a huge loving badass at your instrument that you just make up complicated new music theory and the sheet music that you just jammed out real quick 10 minutes before recording is still perhaps the most difficult jazz standards ever made 60 years later. That's John Coltrane. Giant Steps is named after the very rapid key changes throughout the song, with each key change being about as far away as you can get from the last one. Despite this, it still sounds good and goes through a very natural sounding cycle of tension and resolution.

The very rapid arpeggiated soloing, high tempo, and the driving hi hat are all staples of a category of jazz called bebop. While it's not all as fast as what Coltrane plays (it's really hard to do that on anything that isn't a woodwind), improvisation is generally less melodic and more frantic. It's not the most approachable type of music because a lot of the fun of it is seeing how a song presents a challenge to the musician, which leads to some weird sounding things.

*I actually goofed on the sound recording for the second vid which is why you might see some weird stuff like me not turning in quests until after ng+.
Next Time: Ending A :yokotaro: