Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO IS BEST CAT
Bartender
Pianist
Cellist
Singer
View Results

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I went the exact opposite direction, "this is too weird and specific and batshit to NOT be real."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I saw that movie as a kid and suddenly got interested in B-movies, leading me to Troma Videos.

As expected, Olive Garden had a bunch of strange chemicals and no delicious meals.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fish Noise posted:

I went the exact opposite direction, "this is too weird and specific and batshit to NOT be real."

Cannon Films are like that. Just, in general. They're mostly known for being the ones to give Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, and Charles Bronson careers (and for Superman 4, the movie singlehandedly responsible for killing the Christopher Reeve Superman movies) but the B-movie poo poo in their margins is on par with anything Full Moon Entertainment will release for sheer batshit stupid amusement value.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Also, did they ever use ninja-drills-into-ground more than once?

Daeren posted:

We wrote the scene basically half-pretending the first couple minutes of the movie were the whole movie because we legit weren't sure people would believe it wasn't. The Ninja Trilogy is a head trip.
Because I swear I've seen that move ages ago when passing by the TV but in the context of the end of a ninja fight rather than cop slaughter.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some woman became that ninja and another ninja fought her.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah the ninja possessed her. Also sorry for the slowed update scheduled, work is slowly killing me.

Cellist's last scene and naming dolls with Singer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64I16aMG-8

Next Up: QUESTS~

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Wow, I know there was a warning and everything, but the Cellist's last scene was much heavier than I was expecting. Good job.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that was a surprisingly heartelt scene with the Cellist given how oddball the rest of this game is. I am terrible at comforting people like that myself :(

It's 1:07am on a Sunday and I just pulled another batch of sticky buns out of the oven. These ones didn't have the overnight step so they did rise properly, but the rolls are much more bready and less like a brioche than my first batch (but still delicious). This, I think, tells us what the deep flavour magic achieves.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Never did get that $25 from her.

Getting to that first million sure feels like a slog, no matter the multiplier.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 22, 2018

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I know this is a serious update but the phrase "weighted blanked covered in weed leaf decals" keeps making me laugh.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

ArchWizard posted:

I know this is a serious update but the phrase "weighted blanked covered in weed leaf decals" keeps making me laugh.

I'm glad. That was the intent of the line - illustrate the seriousness while still being funny. (The Singer's writer also responded with "yo but I want that IRL though" and I can't say I disagree)

I'll confess that this was the scene that terrified me the most before release, when imagining how it'd be received. I knew the end of his arc before I wrote a single word, but kept worrying that it'd be taken as a cheap swerve or that it'd be too heavy handed. The fact that it's by and large gotten the intended reception is the thing I did I'm probably most proud of in Jazztronauts, in retrospect. There was a lot of writing from the heart, and writing with the memory of people I used to know, involved in creating his arc, and it's pretty clear a lot of people who played the game could relate to him, or someone they knew like him.

Thank you all for the continued kind words.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only bad things about the game are the unintentional spelling errors and a sorely needed skip option for repeat quest dialog. I hit my head on the Mewseum glass so many times just to get to the end of that chain because I forgot who gave it to me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Daeren posted:

I'm glad. That was the intent of the line - illustrate the seriousness while still being funny. (The Singer's writer also responded with "yo but I want that IRL though" and I can't say I disagree)

I'll confess that this was the scene that terrified me the most before release, when imagining how it'd be received. I knew the end of his arc before I wrote a single word, but kept worrying that it'd be taken as a cheap swerve or that it'd be too heavy handed. The fact that it's by and large gotten the intended reception is the thing I did I'm probably most proud of in Jazztronauts, in retrospect. There was a lot of writing from the heart, and writing with the memory of people I used to know, involved in creating his arc, and it's pretty clear a lot of people who played the game could relate to him, or someone they knew like him.

Thank you all for the continued kind words.

You did really, really well. :unsmith:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It was a good scene. :unsmith:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
they're good cats

Also sorry not sorry work's been killer with all the typhoons and bullshit, but the schedule should be better from now on. Except for the part where I'm on travel until the 10th so no updates then either. I'll probably start only showing interesting maps or ones where I get the super rare stuff (Alyx) because I need to get through a lot of chaff to finish up these quests.

We steal a t-rex, and get Singer's radiators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClHk_ddXr8w
Music:
Woody Herman - Giant Steps

Woody Herman was a clarinetist turned big band leader. He started off with a blues band but eventually moved into jazz and stayed there, and would be famous for including non-traditional instruments into his bands (i.e. bassoons (lol) and oboes) and including rock elements into his compositions. Like many from his time, he made the classic mistake of never paying taxes, resulting in owing millions to the IRS! This somehow never stopped him from performing though.

Next Up: hiatus, vending machines, ALYX

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, just curious, are people making maps specifically for Jazztronauts objectives? It seems like the sort of thing that might happen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a map that has all the objectives in the game.

Are there any edits you can make to a config file or something to increase your multiplier?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 30, 2018

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hell yeah, brontos.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I just had an awful thought. Can you fail the conversation sequence with the Cellist? :ohdear:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is a map that has all the objectives in the game.

Are there any edits you can make to a config file or something to increase your multiplier?

It's an entry in sv.db, like basically any other data Jazztronauts saves. You can change it with any SQLite editor.
I'd tell you the entry's name, but I'm on a trip right now.

We've reached the part of the game that has some unfortunate script errors, such as Cellist's quest for milk being fulfilled with a single cactus and needing to look for NUMBER items for the Singer. Or the Pianist's sudden interjection to describe something the Singer does. With more to come.
They're all pretty minor issues and nothing game-breaking, but it could do with an editing pass.

By the way, only cowards use the Jazztronauts objectives map.

Returning to a map you've been to before also yields some interesting results. It's rare, but the TV can show you old maps because it's apparently properly random.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I found footage of the Pianist from the live action remake of jazztronauts: https://i.imgur.com/WoWKJnd.mp4

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
It's perfect.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
What the hell was it before it was removed?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Faylone posted:

A cat smacking away a hand that was jiggling its bell.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Faylone posted:

Pic of someone trying to lightly scratch a cat's chest and the cat pushing down the hand and eventually doing a warning bite to get the idiot human to stop treating it like a kitten or dog.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The cat was also grumpy, had almost the same coloring as the Pianist, and was pushing the hand away really firmly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Geemer posted:

A cat smacking away a hand that was jiggling its bell a couple times, with the cat getting increasingly angry.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Atlatl posted:

Yeah the ninja possessed her. Also sorry for the slowed update scheduled, work is slowly killing me.

Cellist's last scene and naming dolls with Singer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64I16aMG-8

Next Up: QUESTS~

Man, I feel for whoever wrote the Cellist's dialogue for that scene, because that feels like it's coming from the heart. I know I've been there. Minus the drug use, that dialogue could have been me talking.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
sup yall im fuckin back

Doodmons posted:

whoever wrote the Cellist's dialogue

:goofy: scroll up it's Daeren

Geemer posted:

By the way, only cowards use the Jazztronauts objectives map.

Agreed, though I did manage to clear this round of quests in record time thanks to some really low effort prophunt maps with almost every Jazztronauts objective object lazily crammed into them.

Thanks, ph_storagerooms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcOAUyMZCU
Music:
Lee Morgan - Sidewinder

Lee Morgan often played trumpet for Art Blakely and other Blue Note Label players. Sidewinder was one of his own records and was a big hit at the time it came out, topping both Jazz and R&B charts. He was shot in a bar by his wife after an argument in between sets early into his career.

I'm ready to die on this hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-DdK7ITXZM

Next Up: The last round of quests and the hunt for Alyx.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cellist implying that the Limp Bizkit cover of Behind Blue Eyes is the superior version is taking things one step too far. :argh:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
It sounded alright to me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just going to lean in and say, thank you for introducing me to this. I watched a few videos and decided I had to try it for myself. It's been a ton of fun and has really been scratching that Elder Scrolls itch of going to just random places and exploring.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Cooked Auto posted:

Cellist implying that the Limp Bizkit cover of Behind Blue Eyes is the superior version is taking things one step too far. :argh:

I carefully workshopped that joke so it would make as many people as possible angry without being an actual sore spot or controversial firestorm provoker.

The Cellist was trying (and succeeding) to start poo poo, because the Pianist is an extremely easy target :v:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I got lucky and found the horse statues really quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MIhOqU3xvM
Music:
Herbie Hancock - Watermelon Man

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Daeren posted:

I carefully workshopped that joke so it would make as many people as possible angry without being an actual sore spot or controversial firestorm provoker.

Mission accomplished.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Faylone posted:

Mission accomplished.

Indeed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Alyx is going to take some time or luck.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Alyx is going to take some time or luck.

My experience was that she wasn't really any harder to find than Kleiner, but that she's on two very narrow types of maps: either HL2 fanfiction-ish stuff or My First Test Map. Kleiner you can find in the wild in rare lab/office maps if you're lucky.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah my pro strat of looking for bad story maps hasn't quite paid off yet in the hunt for Alyx.

At least I got my washers though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeJ0cmBC_ag
Music:
Cutting Edge - Caravan

Bad news, a new typhoon is ruining my life again so it might take a bit longer on the next update unless I get super lucky with quest objectives.

Next Up: Typhoon Yutu work break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not sure why I waited so long to read this thread. It's a fun looking game, this is a fun thread. Kudos to the writer who popped in a while back and stayed for the ride, too. Top notch stuff and reading your behind-the-scenes thoughts is a treat.

I had to wait this long to post this because its my day off tomorrow and that means its sticky bun day:

I couldn't find Rhodes rolls, so I went for the next-best thing: the actually many times better Sister Schubert's.

Fight me.

This looks disgusting

This looks even worse, but it smelled fantastic

I must have accidentally hit the shutter button after this

Hi, kitchen floor. I need to clean you.

Hi, lovely kitchen corner turnstile shelf. Without you, my tiny kitchen would feel even smaller.

The glaze is super thick, but it spreads well.

Good night, sweet prince.

Trip report in the morning, but for now I'll watch the next video that miraculously appeared while I was editing all these photos. Thanks, Atlatl.

Thatlatl