Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

greententacle posted:

Anyone else played AoE1: Definitive edition? I found if I just started playing a game against ai opponents, the ai opponents would all resign early on in the game, and after searching, I haven't found any way to stop them doing that. So I just started playing through the campaigns instead. I was surprised at getting wiped out in the tutorial campaign on normal difficulty, but after some research online I read about how the ai works in the remake, I was able to get past that point.

You can change it to have 'classic' graphics, but it still uses the same ai. I just want to play the original unaltered AoE1, and have an easy way to own it legally & play it on a modern computer, without having to search for old cds.
I want to play but I won't buy something that's UWP and MS store only. I also had a wait and see approach, because they released it unfinished and it had lots of showstopping bugs. AoE has always annoyed me because it's my favorite RTS but the support from its developers is always trash. DE is no exception here, look at their update history. It's sad because with proper support AoE could have been much bigger than it is.

The AI in original AoE is really bad. It's not just a DE thing.

It's also weird they didn't do anything to adjust pathing. Fixing pathfinding in AoE1/AoE:DE is borderline trivial. You split the map up into large, walkable nodes. You calculate walkable neighbors one time on map load. Then you have a high level pathing from node a to node z, and from one edge of node a to the edge of the next node you feed the coordinates to the classic pathfinding algorithm so "nothing" changes except units don't get stuck on terrain. This even leaves pathing identical for building and unit collisions, because you aren't factoring them into the high level algorithm.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jossar posted:

More civilizations!

African Kingdoms

What You Build: Infantry
What You Pair: Gunpowder Units, maybe Trash, Siege Onagers
Where You Suck: Late Game Finish
Jossar's Overview: Malians seem like the have a little bit of everything, but everything's also missing a little bit of something, especially near the end of the tree. So you have a great set of infantry... but there's no Halberdiers. You have good early game cavalry, but no Paladins/Hussars/Blast Furnace. You have a good Archer tree but it lacks Bracer. You have an okay siege tree, especially for Onagers, but not an exceptional one. Your unique unit feels like it's designed for hit and run rather than to clinch victory. In the end it usually comes down to whether you can kill your opponent early or leverage all the good parts into something that can take the win late.

[b]What You Build:
Gunpowder Units, Navy, Archers

The malians have straight up two of the best unique technologies in the game. They have a great early imperial rush and a great infantry line that had to get nerfed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Poil posted:

Sounds like how the AI was in AoE2 in vanilla but even worse. To simulate a human player it rage quits. Not fun.

Holy crap I had forgotten all about this. What a weird design decision.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
On the other hand, it also tried to get you to ally with it and such, which the new one doesn't seem to do at all.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Suppose I might as well finish up the civ list...

Rise of the Rajas

quote:

Burmese
  • Monk and Elephant Civilization
  • Unique Unit: Arambai - Dart throwing cavalry archer with high attack and poor accuracy.
  • Unique Technologies: Howdah - +1/+1 Armor to Battle Elephants. Manipur Cavalry - Arambai and Cavalry receive +3 attack v. buildings.
  • Lumber Camp technologies are free.
  • Infantry has +1/+2/+3 attack in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
  • Monastery technologies are 50% cheaper.
  • Team bonus: Relics are visible on the map from the game start.

What You Build: Infantry, Cavalry
What You Pair: Monks, Arambai
Where You Suck: Archers
Jossar's Overview: A very competent civilization, straightforward in what it does and doesn't do well in. Sort of like if the Mongols had more options for a player who liked the idea of a micro heavy civilization but wanted more options for just throwing dudes at the enemy. In the end, it usually comes down to whether you have a good answer for the things that would otherwise not be covered due to your lack of strong archer support.

quote:

Khmer
  • Siege Weapon and Elephant Civilization
  • Unique unit: Ballista Elephant - A cavalry/elephant unit that fires a bolt like a Scorpion.
  • Unique technologies: Tusk Swords - +3 attack to Battle Elephants, Double Crossbow - Ballista Elephants and Scorpions fire two arrows instead of one.
  • No buildings are required to construct certain buildings or advance in Age.
  • Battle Elephants move +15% faster.
  • Villagers can garrison in Houses.
  • Team bonus: Scorpions have +1 range.

What You Build: Cavalry/Elephants, Siege
What You Pair: maybe Monks, some Infantry as screen.
Where You Suck: A tendency to write checks your economy can't cash.
Jossar's Overview: So Battle Elephants were released with Rise of the Rajas but the last civilization was mostly ambivalent on them, instead considering them as a single good unit in a varied stable option. The Khmer also have a pretty good general stable option, but it's clear that the game wants you to use the elephants in some form. The economy bonus is interesting, but might help feed a trap where you rush for later ages only to find that your opponents are in better shape because they had to build up an economy capable of justifying the resources expended on those buildings but that also makes it good for early raiding. In the end, it usually comes down to whether you can get off some good rushes in on your opponents before the siege stack of doom shows up.

quote:

Malay
  • Navy Civilization
  • Unique Unit: Karambit Warrior - A weak and fragile infantry unit that is cheap and costs half a population unit.
  • Unique technologies: Thalassocracy - Docks upgraded to Harbors, which have defensive arrows. Forced Levy - Militia line costs no gold.
  • Advancing in Age is +80% faster.
  • Fish Traps are 33% cheaper.
  • Fish Traps provide unlimited food.
  • Battle Elephants are 30% cheaper.
  • Team bonus: Docks have double Line of Sight.

What You Build: Infantry,
What You Pair: maybe Archers, Siege
Where You Suck: Cavalry, at least late
Jossar's Overview: So the Malay are called a Naval civ, and you can do navy pretty well early on. But it's really there as an economic boost for you to spam dudes. So many dudes. The Malay are one of the premier trash spammers in the game (if not THE trash spammer) compounded by their unique unit and the fact that what is for most civilizations a gold heavy militia line eventually costs them only food - a resource you'll usually have plenty of. Sure you don't get Champions, but your two handed swordsmen will be everywhere. In the end, it usually comes down to whether your opponent can hit your economy hard enough to force you to stall or has a better way to get rid of infantry than your anti-anti-infantry counters.

quote:

Vietnamese
  • Archer Civilization
  • Unique Units: Rattan Archer - Heavily pierce armored Archer unit. Imperial Skirmisher - Upgrade to the Skirmisher line. (built at Archery Range)
  • Unique Technologies: Chatras - +50 HP to Battle Elephants. Paper Money - The player and their allies each receive 500 gold.
  • Reveal enemy positions at game start.
  • Archery Range units have +10%/+15%/+20% HP in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
  • Conscription is free.
  • Team bonus: Imperial Skirmishers are available at the Archery Range.

What You Build: Archers
What You Pair: Anti-Archers, Cavalry/Infantry but mostly to hold back enemy equivalents
Where You Suck: maybe Defenses, Units are kind of slow, Team dependent
Jossar's Overview: Vietnam works pretty well on its own. They've got a solid Archer/Skirmisher combo and a lot of what they have is pretty tanky. But their team unit, unique tech, and immediate knowledge of enemy start positions make them really useful in team games - especially when they're in the pocket and defense is slightly less of a concern for them, doubly so early on. In the end it usually comes down to whether you're facing a lot of dudes with armor - if you do very little damage, all that extra HP is only going to help you get a few more plinks in...

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 23, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm a huge fan of Burmese, Koreans, Goths. Some very good civs in the pile.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
In my old bedroom I found an Age of Empires collection box on the floor, so I can play the original AoE1, so I can see how it compares with the Definitive Edition remake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally bothered to fire this up and played a normal-rear end 1v1 against the computer. gently caress I cannot micromanage to save my life, thank goodness the computer decided to build nothing but Fire Ships for whatever reason.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Goon matches seem to have had mixed luck with the AI as far as I've personally been witness to, especially once we started messing around with the difficulty levels. Sometimes the AI sends a full Imperial age army to destroy everything while you're still building up in the Castle Age, sometimes it sends the Spanish Armada to attack a random gate wall.

My first instinct is to say that if you want slightly more of a challenge, you're probably better off trying to do matches against the AI on land maps where it seems slightly less stupid. But there's probably someone who's done a more comprehensive job in taking apart the AI to figure out what makes it tick on water and hybrid maps.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

On any map with actual water resources that can be contested, the AI tends to way overspend on fire galleys/ships in the feudal/castle ages, and you can pretty regularly just go kill them with a knight or cav archer rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
But I like playing naval maps :( I'll keep practicing against the AI, I'm still bad at micromanaging and quickly issuing commands.

• Locked thread