Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Pinwiz11 posted:

We didn't need an extended appearance by Angela Bassett (even though I would have loved it),

Let’s be honest here, any amount of Angela Bassett is too little Angela Bassett.

I’m with the ones liking the finale and season as a whole. The series has always had amazing actors, set designs and cinematography, but the last three seasons have also had the writing to match. The show is still silly and campy, but in my opinion a lot more original and experimental in storytelling and tone than before, and the shorter season length has really helped.

Maybe I’m just Stockholm syndromeing really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No, I definitely agree. I really liked that finale, and I think the last few seasons have been a real return to the promise suggested by Asylum.

I do think this season was the weakest of the recent wave, but it was still hella fun and filled with more charming performances than the show knew what to do with. I can't pretend that it's all I ask of television, but if I'm being honest that's basically all I need. So I'm pretty satisfied.

I'm genuinely amazed that they were able to turn every single returning character into a likable presence, while still somehow doing justice to whatever the gently caress Coven had established them as. They made consistent sense as characters, when previously they'd been defined by how almost entirely random they were. Respect.

My only regret is that we were cheated a one-on-one showdown between Frances Conroy and Kathy RoBates. Though they did manage to steal the finale between them, so I guess it's not great loss.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Any season of AHS that you don't quit before the ending constitutes a "good" season. The bar is really low.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If that's the criteria then Freak Show is the only bad season. I finished it but like a year after the fact lmbo

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

esperterra posted:

If that's the criteria then Freak Show is the only bad season. I finished it but like a year after the fact lmbo

Yeah, Freak Show's biggest sin is that it's boring.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

clown shoes posted:

Yeah, Freak Show's biggest sin is that it's boring.

Freak Show’s biggest sin was not ripping off Carnivale.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I still maintain that Freak Show was ruined by Jessica Lange more than Lobster Boy saga. Ryan Murphy was so committed to giving her a swan song that the season just petered out. The Twisty/Dandy plot was pretty great. They should have stuck with a serial killer aspect instead of doing the freaks fighting for acceptance route. It was like they couldn't find one thing to focus on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Freak Show was ruined by Emma Roberts trying to play sweet instead of her normal ice bitch self. Way more unrealistic than Edward Mordrake.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Freakshow was ruined by Twisty getting killed like 4 episodes in.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Doltos posted:

It was like they couldn't find one thing to focus on.

ahs.txt

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

esperterra posted:

I think Ryan Murphy wanted a 666 hail satan endtimes season but also wanted to do nuclear apocalypse

Man that sounds awesome I hope we get that someday

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

SalTheBard posted:

Indeed. Pretty much every season of AHS starts with an interesting thread that they abandon 4 episodes in except Asylum (and maybe Hotel I can’t remember and haven’t seen Cult).

Asylum starts 40 interesting threads and barely lands any of them though most stick around throughout the season.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I’m going to say it, even though I find the idea unpalatable:

Hotel was the most coherent season of AHS.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would say Roanoke but honestly I don’t remember much about either season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kjetting posted:

Let’s be honest here, any amount of Angela Bassett is too little Angela Bassett.

I’m with the ones liking the finale and season as a whole. The series has always had amazing actors, set designs and cinematography, but the last three seasons have also had the writing to match. The show is still silly and campy, but in my opinion a lot more original and experimental in storytelling and tone than before, and the shorter season length has really helped.

Maybe I’m just Stockholm syndromeing really hard.

No, you're right. The finale was fine. The last 5 minutes were stupid, as was the fact she didn't even bother to splatter his brains on the sidewalk to make sure he was dead as well as the fact the Ghost House stuff never happened. But overall? Really coherent and pretty entertaining.

I mean come on. It had exploding Cathy Bates then someone using her gibbed arm as a machine gun. I can't get mad at that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Blazing Ownager posted:

No, you're right. The finale was fine. The last 5 minutes were stupid, as was the fact she didn't even bother to splatter his brains on the sidewalk to make sure he was dead as well as the fact the Ghost House stuff never happened. But overall? Really coherent and pretty entertaining.

I mean come on. It had exploding Cathy Bates then someone using her gibbed arm as a machine gun. I can't get mad at that.

I audibly yas'd when Emma Roberts picked the arm up

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

SalTheBard posted:

Well, Dandy being copycat Twisty was also pretty fun.

Freakshow was mostly just boring.

While the audio visuals were colorful, expressionist and inspired by Baz Luhrman, I still think Murphy should have gone more with John Waters as inspiration for the script.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dandy was so good, but he killed Frances Conroy too early then they didn't do much with him til the end iirc

I love me some Finn Wittrock tho, too bad he wasn't in this season (hell or last, was he? I think he's just been in freakshow, hotel and crime story: versace. was he in roanoke??) I was hoping he'd turn into more of a series regular.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also missed opportunity to bring Clea DuVall back and have her p much just play her character from Carnivale smdh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

They should have stuck with a serial killer aspect instead of doing the freaks fighting for acceptance route.

Given the way Ryan Murphy has always treated his "freaks" -- as horror shows to disgusted or amused by -- I think this angle was always doomed to failure. The rich serial killer stuff was generally more on the mark, but generally the season felt like a bunch of characters looking for a plot, and, failing that, just restating their basic character outline over and over.

esperterra posted:

I love me some Finn Wittrock tho, too bad he wasn't in this season (hell or last, was he? I think he's just been in freakshow, hotel and crime story: versace. was he in roanoke??)

Briefly. He's one of the Polks, but he doesn't hang around.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God what a waste of a two headed Sarah Paulson schtick that season was

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I was just endlessly amused by the Daisy reference. Had to explain that one to my wife, but dammit, I laughed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OAquinas posted:

I was just endlessly amused by the Daisy reference. Had to explain that one to my wife, but dammit, I laughed.

Built by nerds, die by nerds.

I choose to believe she had a bunch of different death protocols, like she'd been programmed to do the thumbs up from Terminator 2 should anyone drop her in molten steel.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I think I'm going to go back and watch all the seasons again. Some I gave up on but maybe they will be better binged.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

CODChimera posted:

I think I'm going to go back and watch all the seasons again. Some I gave up on but maybe they will be better binged.

Coven definitely benefits from binge watching. It had the best soundtrack and aesthetic of the seasons. It’s easier to forgive the plot incoherence when it looks and sounds so cool.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Binging is definitely the way to do some of the season.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I have only ever binge watched this show, and a lot of the criticism and complaints go out the window. Freak Show is still boring and Hotel is weak, but Coven’s randomness and weaknesses aren’t as pronounced. On the other hand, the good seasons are even better.

I watched all of this season between Monday night and last night, and it was definitely one of the good ones. The finale and the “final battle” seemed a little weak compared to what I was anticipating (Mallory rejuvenating the world and undoing nuclear fallout by turning everything back in time like she did with the deer, but on an obscenely massive scale), but it was still a good season overall. It could have been great, but it lost steam towards the end. Looking forward to an eventual mega season that ties together the other AHS universe, too.

I don’t remember all of the seasons equally so I won’t do a full ranking, but my recollection of them overall is more or less:

Great: Asylum, Roanoke

Good: Murder House, Cult, Apocalypse

Bad: Coven, Freak Show, Hotel

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

OAquinas posted:

Care to explain it again?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

kjetting posted:

Care to explain it again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuEN5TjYRCE

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Looks like we haven't seen the last of Coven.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/12/a...PkkRIsvSUL9AUdU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At least it's not next season.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We finally sat down and watched all of this after having been forced to stop after episode 2. That sure was a bunch of things that happened but overall we liked it. Good to see the murderhouse cast again.

Also a huge lol for whoever first said "Billy on the Road".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

We finally sat down and watched all of this after having been forced to stop after episode 2. That sure was a bunch of things that happened but overall we liked it. Good to see the murderhouse cast again.

Also a huge lol for whoever first said "Billy on the Road".

Season was worth it for this joke.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the truth posted:

I have only ever binge watched this show, and a lot of the criticism and complaints go out the window. Freak Show is still boring and Hotel is weak, but Coven’s randomness and weaknesses aren’t as pronounced. On the other hand, the good seasons are even better.

I watched all of this season between Monday night and last night, and it was definitely one of the good ones. The finale and the “final battle” seemed a little weak compared to what I was anticipating (Mallory rejuvenating the world and undoing nuclear fallout by turning everything back in time like she did with the deer, but on an obscenely massive scale), but it was still a good season overall. It could have been great, but it lost steam towards the end. Looking forward to an eventual mega season that ties together the other AHS universe, too.

I don’t remember all of the seasons equally so I won’t do a full ranking, but my recollection of them overall is more or less:

Great: Asylum, Roanoke

Good: Murder House, Cult, Apocalypse

Bad: Coven, Freak Show, Hotel

Great: Asylum, Cult, Apocalypse

Good: Murder House, Roanoke, Hotel

Bad: Coven (:lol:), Freak Show (Boring)

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 25, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well this is hosed up. You know how in Cult they had that part where they were trying to gently caress with a kid's brain showing him snuff films and such?

I thought that was just hosed up creepy stuff, but it turns out there was an insane doctor in that real world NXIVM cult literally showing people horrific snuff videos of people being dismembered, or the occasional gang rape. I do think AHS probably took inspiration from this though, I just hadn't heard the detail before.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north...24985a475face68

The article posted:

A DOCTOR described as the resident physician to the twisted sex cult Nxivm has been charged by a New York oversight board with illegally conducting human experiments.

The action comes eight months after the state Health Department refused to act on a complaint from a former cult member who alleged that Dr Brandon Porter, 44, forced her to watch disturbing rape and dismemberment videos for a “fright study” he was conducting, the New York Post reports.

Jennifer Kobelt, the former member of the notorious cult whose leaders are accused of brainwashing and blackmailing women into becoming sex slaves, said in her August 2017 complaint that Porter may have performed his “fright study” on as many as 100 people.

“He continued to film my reaction for at least 10 minutes as I just sat there, dry heaving like I was going to puke and crying very hard,” Kobelt, a Canadian actress, said in the complaint to the Health Department, adding that Porter began showing her the violent images without warning.

“He failed me, not only as a friend but as the medical practitioner I had trusted on numerous occasions with my health while I was in New York,” Kobelt said in the complaint.

In a September six, 2017, letter, the state Office of Professional Medical Conduct told Kobelt it would not investigate Porter, adding that “the issues you have described are not medical misconduct.”

But the OMPC has now accused Porter of moral unfitness, gross negligence and gross incompetence among other charges. He is accused of showing “human subjects an actual video of the horrific and brutal murders and dismemberment of four women by machetes; and violent film clips, including a male African-American being viciously stomped by a Nazi; a conscious male being forced to eat a portion of his own brain matter; and a graphic gang rape.”

I can only hope that these weren't real snuff videos re-reading that list, though. Because it sounds like it might have been clips from American History X, Hannibal and some exploitation movies from those descriptions (seriously you aren't going to find real video of someone eating their own brain), but alas, that's all the info I have.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 16, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Humanity is a mistake

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Evan Peters in a recent interview with GQ UK posted:

I’m going to take a break, regroup, decompress, get back in touch with what I feel like I want to do. Not that I didn’t want to do any of those roles – they’re exactly what I wanted to do. It was just zero to 100 instantaneously. I want to play music.

Last July he went in more detail with main GQ too https://www.gq.com/story/evan-peters-pose-interview

quote:

I’m goofy, I’m silly, I like to have fun. I don’t like to yell and scream. I actually hate it. I think it’s disgusting and really awful, and it’s been a challenge for me. Horror Story sort of demanded that of me.

...It’s been all a massive stretch for me and really difficult to do. It’s hurting my soul and Evan as a person. There’s this massive amount of rage that’s been called upon from me, and the emotional stuff that’s been called on me for Pose has been heartbreaking, and I’m sick. I don’t feel good.

...It's just exhausting. It's really mentally draining, and you don't want to go to those places ever in your life. And so you have to go there for the scenes, and it ends up integrating it somehow into your life. You're in traffic and you find yourself screaming and you're like, What the hell? This isn't who I am. I fight really hard to combat that and make sure that I'm watching comedies and hanging out with my fiancée [actress Emma Roberts] and chilling with friends and watching movies.

The timing in particular of the new "taking a break" comment makes it likely this upcoming 9th season (only Emma and Gus Kenworthy confirmed for so far) is the first without Evan

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Chris James 2 posted:

Last July he went in more detail with main GQ too https://www.gq.com/story/evan-peters-pose-interview

The timing in particular of the new "taking a break" comment makes it likely this upcoming 9th season (only Emma and Gus Kenworthy confirmed for so far) is the first without Evan

"I want to play music."

Man that is so :smith: I literally can't even...

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"I want to play music."

Man that is so :smith: I literally can't even...

Season after season, he plays such extreme characters. I totally get the need to decompress, even if it derails his career. And with his on/off engagement, dude needs a break!

Look what happened to Heath Ledger. He was already kind of messed up, then going there with the Joker pushed him to the edge.