Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hype as hell, but I really do miss the musical skits they used to do to preview characters for a season. You know, like Caraseoul for Freakshow, and Que Sera Sera for Asylum.

E: these: https://youtu.be/0HZ3hOuhid4

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The best part of Cult was Sarah Paulsons character unwillingly becoming a rightwing hero after accidentally shooting one of her mexican workers.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
That's a drat good teaser.

edit: I meant this one from Twitter. I didn't realize there were two versions.
https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1037437758451605504

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 6, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

clown shoes posted:

That's a drat good teaser.

edit: I meant this one from Twitter. I didn't realize there were two versions.
https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1037437758451605504

gently caress yes. Yes yes gently caress yeeees!

Also Meadow's back! (Coco?)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Oh god, I'm getting that "Maybe this will actually rule this time" feeling again.

I will give them this, they have some of the best god drat marketing I've ever seen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Last few seasons have been pretty good, but the idea of Coven + Murder House seems like it might lean into the impulses of those seasons I didn't like (poor narrative signalling, terrible structure generally) as opposed to the impulses I loved (BALENCIAGA!!!).

Actually, everything Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story, American Crime Story, Pose, Feud, even 9-1-1) has been pretty good for the last few years, ever since he did the OJ Simpson season. Maybe he's changed, or maybe having to make a play for Netflix has forced him to reevaluate things, or maybe he's just too busy to be crap in any one place, and someone else is pulling things together (AKA Asylum era Ryan Murphy). Who can say. I'm just loving happy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think he's just doing less of his own writing lately. He's a great director and idea man, but tends to easily go off the rails when doing the actual scripting.

e: i feel like b/c of this he does his best work when he's stretched so thin he can't be super hands on with any one project

esperterra fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can we just have Emma Roberts as Chanel?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Awwwwhhhhh yeeaaaaahhhh

I'm all in on BDSM Nuns Radioactive Bunker Basement Times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hail Satan!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly Roanoke and Cult were so good that I'm starting to trust Ryan Murphy again. That trailer looks awesome.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm being honest I guess I was hoping for more of a wasteland wanderer vibe a la the Fallout games or the movie The Book of Eli, whereas it looks like we'll be trapped inside a house the whole time (was that Murder house or the Coven? looked more like the Coven house). That's not to say they may not stray from that initial setting, but maybe we should expect more of a 10 Little Indians vibe rather than an Escape from New York or Mad Max vibe.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Huh, I just realized that all of AHS's seasons are basically contained in one central location that has its own personality. The murder house, the asylum, the coven home, the carnival tent, the hotel, the Roanoke house... I guess Cult is the only one where the main setting isn't a prominent character in its own way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

COOL CORN posted:

Huh, I just realized that all of AHS's seasons are basically contained in one central location that has its own personality. The murder house, the asylum, the coven home, the carnival tent, the hotel, the Roanoke house... I guess Cult is the only one where the main setting isn't a prominent character in its own way.

Evan Peters' house was centralized. Dead parents bodies, killing peeps, police raid.

It's pretty hard to have a scary story and not have it be about a house. Look at Netflix's horror section.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I seem to recall Murphy a long time ago saying something about how the idea that certain places are just inherently evil was one of the underlying themes of the show as a whole.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I dunno if it's just me, but the way they're promoting it is making it feel like the last season, even though it....isn't? Ever since Hotel, they've been pulling the themes and ideas from all the seasons together closer and closer, especially in Roanoke (not so much Cult, but that was a great season), and it feels like the show has been leading up to....something since then, like with all the threads coming together, even with it being an anthology show? They've set up a lot of rules and mythology for the AHS universe.

I'm guessing that the twist will be that only LA gets nuked and the rest of the US is fine, or seasons 9 and 10 will be set in the past, unless the narrative continues on from this in them. Then again, the appeal of this show is the 'throw everything to the wall, see what sticks' approach to story telling.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh gently caress did this premiere tonight???????

YASSSS my day off just got so fuckin good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh 'm a week early lmbo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

OldMemes posted:

I dunno if it's just me, but the way they're promoting it is making it feel like the last season, even though it....isn't? Ever since Hotel, they've been pulling the themes and ideas from all the seasons together closer and closer, especially in Roanoke (not so much Cult, but that was a great season), and it feels like the show has been leading up to....something since then, like with all the threads coming together, even with it being an anthology show? They've set up a lot of rules and mythology for the AHS universe.

I'm guessing that the twist will be that only LA gets nuked and the rest of the US is fine, or seasons 9 and 10 will be set in the past, unless the narrative continues on from this in them. Then again, the appeal of this show is the 'throw everything to the wall, see what sticks' approach to story telling.

I feel like this will be a culmination of all the little crossovers and connections the series has had so far. Then after this they can just continue doing whatever they want, in the same universe or w/e as the other seasons or a new one.

I want another period piece season real bad tho

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Season 6 is still my favorite season. I like how many characters there are and how simple the plot is. No crazy 5 b stories running during it. Season 7 was ok but it changed tones right in the middle with this heavy female revenge plot that made no sense.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 10, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Enjoy some character portraits.
https://www.tvguide.com/news/american-horror-story-apocalypse-photos/

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Anybody else getting sort of like a Downton Abbey vibe from these portraits?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know, you could send me those photos and tell me they're from the Beetlejuice reboot and I'd 100% believe you. It can't be a coincidence how close Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates come to Delia Deets and Otho. If course I never really noticed before how much Evan Peters look like Topher Grace with the right hair cut.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 12, 2018

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I just lazily lost my give-a-poo poo to hate-watch Roanoke and I saw the notion behind Cult and just was not in a great place to watch it in 2017 and probably still won't so I gave up on this dumb show entirely. Should I dehumanize myself and face to returning to hate-watch Apocalypse because I know that smashing many different past seasons together is going to be dumb as hell?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Doltos posted:

Honestly Roanoke and Cult were so good that I'm starting to trust Ryan Murphy again. That trailer looks awesome.

Cult almost made me want to go back and watch some of the earlier seasons that I'd given up on or couldn't really remember.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I jumped off the AHS coaster during Freak Show, but this concept has me hyped. Can't wait for tonight!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pinwiz11 posted:

I jumped off the AHS coaster during Freak Show, but this concept has me hyped. Can't wait for tonight!

You missed two really great seasons with Roanoke and Cult!

But yeah, also hyped for tonight.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I should go watch Roanoke, but I need to watch Asylum again first (best season).

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I love preview poo poo like this, hell yeah.

Also yes people please watch Roanoke, if only for Lily Rabe and Cuba, but it's still a really good season.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

I was wondering about the last character of those portraits and checked the last name of the character. Its the same as the last name of the characters Evan Peters and Jessica Lange played. So I'm assuming he's the antichrist baby from Murderhouse?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

SAD I won't be home til 11 tonight

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DocBubonic posted:

I was wondering about the last character of those portraits and checked the last name of the character. Its the same as the last name of the characters Evan Peters and Jessica Lange played. So I'm assuming he's the antichrist baby from Murderhouse?

Yup, the one Kathy Bates says 'Hail Satan' to in the trailer. I'm really curious how the house is still a factor in anything after the apocalypse, but I'm so psyched for tonight.

esperterra posted:

SAD I won't be home til 11 tonight

Yeah same, I'm not gonna be able to live watch :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hoo boy

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This is very My poo poo.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

This is some good poo poo.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

:siren:THE COLLECTIVE:siren:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

disjoe posted:

:siren:THE COLLECTIVE:siren:

I can't wait for the Coven to wreck those plans... :munch:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Man...still can't bone if you're a purple...this caste society is bullshit. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The stew is Stu!!!