Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also most job sites let you search by keyword too, so you can look based on one of your skills or the technologies you've used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can't believe I'm half-agreeing with John Smith. I disagree with him on the motivation, your motivation is gone because of your mental illness. I completely get that, I do. Anyone who has read my on-again off-again thread knows that. I'm spitballing here, but are there companies doing what you are interested in where you could get in on something you're qualified for? That would help build your network, get you income again, and hopefully get you benefits so you can tackle your mental health problems (assuming you don't have government-provided benefits). Most office work will pay better than retail and be less physically demanding. I know that your exhaustion after a day's work isn't just because of the physical exertion of being on your feet all day, but hopefully it would help. And even if it's not what you want to be doing, if you find something that you can do that doesn't make you miserable, it's going to be easier to do something else after you're done with work.

Are there meetups for professionals in that field? I get it if you don't like the idea, but that's something specifically designed to help networking.

One thing that has helped me actually apply for jobs when unemployed and depressed is to say "Today I'm applying for X number of jobs." Then you keep going until that point. Or if not that, say "Today I'm job hunting for X hours." Maybe that would be better so that you aren't tempted to just shove out a poorly tailored application. Setting a specific goal for the day helps because you can see the finish line rather than just focusing on how it seems like you're throwing emails into the void.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

John Smith posted:

Some people are just lazy and crap, rather than lacking motivation due to mental illness. We don't know either way about the root cause, therefore we should reserve judgement.

Point is, either way, the solution is the same. Slow and steady, to avoid a crash and burn.

(And I wouldn't complain too much about me, if I was you. Considering that you lied in the BWM thread about the veteran benefits.)

Yeah, it’s one step at a time when getting better. Just like you don’t go from physical therapy straight to a race. Small goals encourage you to keep going, you eat an elephant one bite at a time.

And I already ate a probation for arguing with you, I’m no going to try to out-pedant you on the definition of paying.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Warmachine posted:

:yikes: was about the slapfight between you and 22. You've not given me anything to disagree with, and I'm not the tone-policing type. Do me a favor though: don't poo poo up my thread with your drama. That goes for both of you.

Aside from posting about posting, I'm a bit chuffed that my Skype interview I was scheduled for fell through. The fellow from the UK wasn't able to connect with me for some reason. The headhunter got permission from him to pass his info on for me, so we're going to try and reschedule for early next week. Kyoon's lmgtfy post yielded some prospects, in spite of its sarcastic nature. I'll be submitting resumes to the promising ones today.

Rolling back to this one, part of the reason I created this thread is I'm not sure (where to look). Is this a "trawl meetup.com" thing, or are there specific communities that people in the analytics world hang out in and organize events? A reasonable assumption would be that colleges in the area (and West Michigan has plenty of that) organize events like this, but those are going to be feeding frenzies of current students won't they?

I would go with Meetup personally, but I haven’t actually tried myself. There’s a shitload of ones in my area, but I work in tech and I’m in a pretty huge tech hub so I’m not sure what it’s like elsewhere. I’m also not sure how to tell what ones are actually active still.

• Locked thread