Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mappo posted:

My great uncle on my dad's side was a famous Scottish football player in the 1860s. He died really young of bone cancer.

On my mom's side we are related to King John of England. (The bad king in Robbin Hood). Apparently we were one of his bastards and we had some royal influence and used it to get land in the colonies.

That's also why my name is John, my mom named me after her grandfather. But it turns out that family kept naming their sons John after their royal liniege.

Apparently every single President of the United States is related to King John (including Obama, his mom was white) except for Martin Van Buren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My great grandfather tried to invent a flying bike. My aunt showed me a newspaper clipping about it. I don't think it worked out.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 5, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My cuzzie is Manu Bennett, you may know him as Slade from arrow or the guy from the latest death race film.

ran into him at a family reunion.

Old mate picked up a guitar and started saying stuff like "I want to play a song for you all that is very important , with deep feelings and emotions" etc etc

He get a few bars into his song and promptly forgets the lyrics.

"Oh! I've forgotten how it goes, don't worry about it" and ha dedicated the guitar over.

Enjoy my weird family story

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jestery posted:

I honestly didn't, it wasn't very interesting.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I had a great something or another uncle who sold soap to miners in Alaska. It was supposed to be a lottery, and one of the bars should have had some bills set inside it, but it was found out to be a farce, and my uncle was shot in the street.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I had a great something or another uncle who sold soap to miners in Alaska. It was supposed to be a lottery, and one of the bars should have had some bills set inside it, but it was found out to be a farce, and my uncle was shot in the street.

Is it okay that I laughed at this?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Bored posted:

Is it okay that I laughed at this?

Yeah, it's actually pretty funny, especially since the rest of my family was run out of town for causing all the miners to swear off soap, lest they be ripped off again

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, it's actually pretty funny, especially since the rest of my family was run out of town for causing all the miners to swear off soap, lest they be ripped off again

Mission accomplished.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
The stories I shared were a bit exaggerated, but to any one curious, I believe I found the real guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soapy_Smith

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jestery posted:

I did, and furthermore,

fakeaccount posted:

I honestly didn't, it wasn't very interesting.

gently caress You

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I did, and furthermore,

gently caress You

Still very dull. Can you come up with anything creative?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

My grandmother died last summer. She was at a table with friends and asked, "Do you hear the children laughing?". She promptly died right after those words. I am guessing a stroke or something, but it sounds pretty.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Or hell demons beckoning her

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Thats cool too.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Have you seen Deadwood? There's a minor character who gets caught running that scam in one of the first episodes

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

there was a town of goon miners? :eyepop:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

they were mining bitcoin

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Keith Atherton posted:

Have you seen Deadwood? There's a minor character who gets caught running that scam in one of the first episodes

Love that show, but whenever I watch it, "cock-sucker" gets added to lexicon, and I end up making an rear end of myself. Must have never made the connection with the soap scam before.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My dad drank beer and shot the poo poo with Merle Haggard, who by chance happened to be fishing at the same lake.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

You Are A Elf posted:

My dad drank beer and shot the poo poo with Merle Haggard, who by chance happened to be fishing at the same lake.

Thats sweet. I'm not a country music dude, but A guy who I was "internet buddies" with interviewed him on one of his shows, Darkside of the radio, or Are you ready for the country or something, and I listened because the interviewer was kinda my friend. It was a pretty good interview, and I thought "drat, I hate country music, but this old dude is pretty dope".

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My Dad has been a square his entire life but he's about to turn 86 and he's still trucking along

To contribute to the thread my grandfather shot and killed a guy with his .32 revolver who tried to hijack the heating oil truck he was driving during the Great Depression

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My father killed me and my whole family but fortunately we are all ok.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

You Are A Elf posted:

Was this in Northern Ontario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bonzo posted:

Was this in Northern Ontario?

Nah, pretty sure it was Tennessee. My dad was on TDY with the Air Guard there at the time. This was mid to late-'70s.

• Locked thread