Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I'm also pretty sure that my mental health decline lines up with my exercise stoppage.
Motivation can be tough, but pretty sure the positive correlation of exercising and feeling better in general is a true one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

That's awesome. I hope you try to do that stuff only when you're warm if it's not easy yet.

Still doing that small workout set I posted in the spring as well or move on to other stuff?

still doing it every so often mixed in with a lot of yoga and running

edit: i upped to 4 cycles through and some more reps tho

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, everyone still flabby and drowning their sorrows?

I mentioned some of this in the January chat thread, but out of the blue came down with a severe case of vertigo. I was actually put in the hospital for about 6 hours as they confirmed it wasn't the rona (and actually broke the brain scraping swab inside my head doing the test).

As such, after the projectile vomiting finished on the first night, I couldn't stand, at all. For 2 days after that I remained bed-bound but could make it to the can on my own. Then I could walk with some difficulty (literally looked like a drunk stumbling around). That lasted in lessening degrees for another about 2 weeks. Couldn't drive at all for a month, and just now *starting* to have some semblance of pre-vertigo returning... but it is still there.

I tried working out since late January while in the midst of symptoms around the 2 week point and it really sucked. My insanity vids have a poo poo-load of movement and did not play well with me. I re-started my taekwondo online classes (lock-down here) and I was a stumbling mess, but it's slowly coming back. Hopefully by the time in-person training can resume I hope to be mostly better. It's funny how you take things for granted like, oh, balancing, until you can't.

Side effect of the vertigo: Lost absolutely, 100% any desire to drink any alcohol. I do not recommend it as a way to lower your alcohol intake though. Yeesh.

How about you weirdos?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Vertigo sounds like some bullshit. Small upside in it ruining it for booze!

I dropped booze sometime in November 2020 right after moving.
Riding a mountain bike a couple times a week. Not sure what my current weight is, need to grab a compact scale. Had eh 15-20lb that I found in 2020 to lose again. looks like its mostly gone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I've put a little weight back on but I was down to really light (like 155). I need to get some weights.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have lost 15lb from my peak pandemic weight but I strongly discourage all of you from the "my teeth are hosed and I cannot eat" diet. It's more effective on your wallet than your waistline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been hosed for a while. Almost 20 pounds up since July.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've lost 15 lbs since I stopped doing construction, but my work pants are now too tight to wear for some reason
:thunk:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm going to have to eat a special diet for a minimum of 6 weeks for health reasons, so what better time to start counting calories again, right? And once I start physical therapy and can actually stand and walk for real, exercise will be possible

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Found you, hiding back on page three, that's no good.

I need to get fit, I'm tired of "normal BMI but gets out of breath going up stairs". I could do running, could tag along with some of my neighbors that run once a week, biking's a bit awkward at the moment with nowhere nearby to go, no desire to ride on the roads. I have a small set of weights in the garage from when I was doing physio. What's an easy to follow "do this get hench" weights plan I could start along side running?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what do you mean by get fit exactly, do you mean lift heavy things, run, flexibility/joint maintenance, or what?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mainly stamina, losing a bit off the waistline would be good too. I don't super enjoy running so I'll do it as a means to an end rather than a fun activity.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You'll want to do cardio. Like all real exercising, there is really no "easy" way to do it but the good news is you don't need much for equipment.

Do you think you could follow along and do "group" exercises on video? I find the Insanity series quite good and they take 30-40 minutes and you WILL be sweating and with regular training, you WILL improve your cardio and stamina.

The Max30 has modified for those having trouble getting into it and a little less challenging.
e: To be clear, the modified moves make it less challenging, it's still 30 minutes of cardio.

The hardest part I find with them is if you're not sure on the form (a downside of not having personal instruction) you might need to do some research into the specific moves.

If you want to see what they're like, send me a PM - I have a sample mp4 I can host and let you download to try it out.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 30, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been back on the cardio for a few weeks, started weights again on Sunday. Down 5 pounds since March 1st. Hoping to get back to my lockdown swole from last summer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Week 7 of back on the horse. Down 9 pounds, weights are going good. Working on core strength harder than ever before. I think I might have found what I misplaced last year. Two more pounds and I get a reward meal!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hit a wall again. It feels like I'm just not built for weight training as I keep injuring myself no matter how careful I am about form. I think it's time to switch to yoga and light weights for a while.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Realising just how much fitness one can lose due to a serious injury (Even if I did try to keep some sort of regime going). Oh lordy this is going to be a loooong road back esp the shoulder

Survived it's first decent workout since the MTB crash so that's good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

Hit a wall again. It feels like I'm just not built for weight training as I keep injuring myself no matter how careful I am about form. I think it's time to switch to yoga and light weights for a while.
Oh, totally. You absolutely don't need weights or equipment at all for fitness. I actually sold all my free weights, bench and universal. The only thing I have left is my treadmill and I'm thinking of getting rid of that too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's tempting. I can't live without my elliptical though, if not for that thing I'd never have achieved what I did. But it's on the verge of permanent breakage so maybe I can partially fund a new one by selling off my bench, rack and weights.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rhyno posted:

If it’s not down to poor form then usually “injuries” from lifting are due to doing more volume than your body can recover from between workouts. What sort of injuries are you developing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Strained bicep, lower back pain, stiff knee.

Almost entirely gone since I'm a week without lifting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rhyno posted:

Strained bicep, lower back pain, stiff knee.

Almost entirely gone since I'm a week without lifting.

I’d worry about lower back pain being a sign of form breakdown but the others are probably just due to overwork. What does your program look like?

As I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten more sensitive to overwork from heavy training volume and had to adjust the kinds of things I do to stave off tendonitis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5. Five exercises, three each day, three days a week alternating exercises, five sets of five each time. You're supposed to add five pounds each time but there's no way I can do that, only squatting 100lbs. I don't think I'm pushing too much weight and I think my form is good, I just think I'm not built to be a weight lifter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Instead of doing weights, maybe try some cardio and conditioning and work on your core?

You really don't need any equipment other than something that is safe to jump around on and sweat on. Hell, I even do mine barefoot so you don't even need good shoes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I do tons of cardio in addition to the 5x5. Usually half an hour as a warmup on weight days and as much as I can on off days. At my peak I could do 2 hours on the elliptical at heavy resistance and high rpms.

I think I just got old.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A problem back is also a classic symptom of not great core.

Since you do lots of cardio, maybe try a bunch of crunches, plank and other core work after your warmed up?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

2020 sucked for my workout goals as my gym was mostly closed. I finally built my home gym earlier this year and had settled into a very high volume routine I was really enjoying, then my thumb got half torn off so that ended working out. I'm finally starting up 12 weeks after my accident and drat I'm so much weaker. I'm happy when my bench press is at 10x225lbs, and I was finally back at 10x215lbs right before I got injured. Earlier this week I did 30 reps of the bar (45lbs), then 25 reps of 65lbs and I actually had pec DOMS the following two days. My thumb is definitely the limiting factor, but the rest of my hand took some damage too and is still inflamed so even doing things like holding weight with just my four fingers still somehow hits my thumb.

I've been doing the Renaissance Periodization 6 day a week template for a while now, but right before I got injured I was copying the schedule of one of the RP guys and doing 10 different sessions over 6 days. A morning and night session on days 1, 2, 4, and 6, and just one session a day on days 3 and 5. This was the last week of a six week cycle (seventh week is recovery week) so the volume is high, it's a lot lower on the first week. This was only possible for me as I was working from home and had a home gym.

Rhyno posted:

I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5. Five exercises, three each day, three days a week alternating exercises, five sets of five each time. You're supposed to add five pounds each time but there's no way I can do that, only squatting 100lbs. I don't think I'm pushing too much weight and I think my form is good, I just think I'm not built to be a weight lifter.

If you don't care about being a powerlifter, why don't you try a more bodybuilding oriented approach? You'll be dropping the weight a large amount which will help with injuries, and you can work around overuse injuries like tendonitis by dropping volume or changing the exercise. You don't have to do anything complicated, in general shoot for 8 to 12 reps per set, workout for 4 to 6 weeks then take a recovery week where you do half the weight and volume, and leave a few reps in the tank on each set in the earlier weeks and one rep left on the later weeks. As long as you're hitting your chest for 10 sets a week, back for 10 sets, quads for 8 sets, and hamstrings for 6 sets you should be growing. For each exercise figure out the highest weight for which you can do 10 reps (with good form), then start with 85% of that weight on your first week and add a little bit of weight every week or two.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thanks to my new IBS diet, I'm down to 190, the lowest weight I've been in nearly a decade. I haven't moved past physical therapy much, but I'm finally employed again and can pay for yoga classes to get more of my strength back

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

5x5 is pretty taxing on the CNS and just the body in general because it’s all compound lifts at near maximal effort, and the progressive overload scheme means you really don’t have easy weeks outside of programmed deloads. Squatting every workout also doesn’t really give you time to recover and heavy (relative to your ability) squats are probably the most taxing exercise there is on your body. It’s not a routine for everyone. In particular it (and other 5x5 and 5/3/1) variations are very sensitive to diet and rest. You’ve got to be eating enough to support the effort and getting enough rest to recover.

Personally I can only manage 8-12 weeks of those sorts of workouts anymore before I just burn out and aches and strains start to build up and I don’t have the desire to eat 3500 calories and 200 grams of protein a day. I do much better with a multimodal routine that doesn’t hammer the same body parts in the same way over and over for months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is a struggle to hit the calories every day and get enough rest. Last time I did this with no problems (1 year ago) so I'm not really sure why it sucks so bad this time.

Definitely need to make some decisions on a new plan today as I want to restart tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

If you don't care about being a powerlifter, why don't you try a more bodybuilding oriented approach? You'll be dropping the weight a large amount which will help with injuries, and you can work around overuse injuries like tendonitis by dropping volume or changing the exercise. You don't have to do anything complicated, in general shoot for 8 to 12 reps per set, workout for 4 to 6 weeks then take a recovery week where you do half the weight and volume, and leave a few reps in the tank on each set in the earlier weeks and one rep left on the later weeks. As long as you're hitting your chest for 10 sets a week, back for 10 sets, quads for 8 sets, and hamstrings for 6 sets you should be growing. For each exercise figure out the highest weight for which you can do 10 reps (with good form), then start with 85% of that weight on your first week and add a little bit of weight every week or two.

Would you recommend a particular program I should follow? I'm 42, 171lbs and in decent shape currently. Any help is appreciated, I tried to follow the advice in the lifting thread back when I started but I was getting 90 different sets of opinions and instructions and after a few months I settled on the 5x5 because it was pretty straightforward. Anything I can do to maintain my health and hopefully rebuild my core is worth a try.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yoga helped me a ton with back issues and was also pretty good for my mind

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Would you recommend a particular program I should follow? I'm 42, 171lbs and in decent shape currently. Any help is appreciated, I tried to follow the advice in the lifting thread back when I started but I was getting 90 different sets of opinions and instructions and after a few months I settled on the 5x5 because it was pretty straightforward. Anything I can do to maintain my health and hopefully rebuild my core is worth a try.

Sorry, I've tried to type out a reply a few times but I just moved out of town for three months and my best reply is 3/4 written on my home computer. I did former forum member Cavefish's routine for years and really liked it. It's not reflective of current bodybuilding science (you're usually hitting body parts more frequently now) and not necessarily "optimal," but the best routine is one you'll do because you enjoy it and aren't getting injured. It's a 4 day split so only one more day than you're doing now. I've switched to a more modern 6 day split that I can post if you feel like going to the gym that often.

You don't really need to keep the rest intervals short despite what it says below, I like ~3 mins for bigger compound lifts and 1 to 1.5 mins on accessory work. If you had unlimited time in the gym longer intervals are probably better, but since most of us don't it's better to get more sets in with shorter rest periods and just know that you'll be doing fewer reps per set than if you had rested longer. The only thing I'd make sure to do to the routine below is make sure to have a very very easy week every 5 to 7 weeks, to fully recover. It's also nice that it starts with legs on Monday since usually Monday is universally bench pressing day, it sounds dumb but I have a much better chance of not waiting for a bench on a Tuesday vs Monday. My 6 day program starts with benching but I just start on Tuesday and finish on Sunday, with Monday off.

Cavefish posted:

cavefish posted:

MONDAY - Legs
4 sets leg extension 10-15reps (keep it light, this is just to get blood in the legs)
4 sets squat 6-10 reps
3 sets leg press 10-12 reps
4 sets leg curl 10-12 reps
3 sets stiff legged deadlift or walking lunges (hamstring or quad, pick one and alternate every so often or whichever you think needs more work)

TUESDAY - Chest
4 sets incline DB or barbell bench 8-12 reps
3 sets flat DB or barbell bench 8-12 reps
3 sets DB fly or machine fly (pec deck) 12-15 reps, focus on squeezing at the top
2 sets weighted dips

WED OFF

THURSDAY - back
4 sets bodyweight pullups: up to 15 reps (add weight if 4x15 is too easy)
4 sets bent over row barbell or DB row 8-12 reps
3 sets front pulldown, wide or narrow (switch it up) 8-10 reps
3 sets cable row 6-10 reps
Behind the head pulldowns(yeah they're bad blah blah blah): 2 sets 15 reps Medium easy weight...just squeeze.

FRIDAY - shoulders/arms
3 sets DB press or front military 8-10 reps
3 sets side laterals 10-12 reps
3 sets rear lateral machine or DB 10-12 reps
6 sets shrugs behind the back for 3 sets and to the front for 3

Triceps
3 sets 10-15 rope pushdown
3 sets skullcrushers or DB extensions 6-10 reps
3 sets reversed push down (palms facing) 8-10 reps

Biceps
3 sets barbell curl or e-z curl bar 8-12 reps
3 sets preacher machine or db/barbell 8-12 reps
2 sets hammer curl db or rope 10-15 reps
wrist curls 13-20 reps 2 sets

-Do abs on Monday and Thursday

-Do calves Tuesday and Friday.

-KEEP THE REST INTERVALS SHORT. 30-60 seconds between sets, no more. This is very important as it will fatigue the hell out of your muscles AND improve your conditioning.

-Alternate squats with deadlifts every week or two weeks if you want.

-Do your cardio normally and adjust depending on whether you're bulking or cutting.

-If you want to do this in a 3 day split, you can go chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms.

One nice thing is this allows for variation in the number of reps and such you do. If you want to go heavy one week you can do sets of 6, if you want to lighten it up and go for a better pump you can go 12-15. The most important thing for growth is forcing as much as blood as possible into the muscle. Just don't go under 6 reps. You'll still build plenty of strength even though this is not designed for strength or athletic purposes.

*edit*
found the original thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2498019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I fell off the rails really hard and need to regain my footing. What you laid out here unfortunately won't work for me. I only have a bench and squat rack and my life doesn't allow for time to go to a gym, all my workouts are done at home.

I appreciate the effort you put in though, don't get me wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm gonna grab some of it so don't think it went to waste!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Wouldnt be remarkable at all 6 months ago but..... managed 50km on the bike today. This has been a much longer haul to make it back there than I thought it would have been with tbe added complication of lockdowns

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

50k ride - good on you!

Since we last posted here I'm now in my black belt program which is entails 9 months of hard training. Basically means I'm training TKD and hard cardio 6-7 hours per week (1-2 hours per day, 5-6 days week). I'm giving myself Sunday off as a recovery day with the option of another day in the week if I am especially sore and need one.

It's drat tough and I'm committed to doing it until early June, 2022 which is when I test.

I noticed my weight is slowly coming off again, but more importantly my body is starting to tone, so I think it's muscle mass building at the same time as fat loss so "weight" isn't as evident... or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

My alcohol consumption has basically completely stopped for the past month except I fell off the wagon last weekend. The bright side, it gave me the desire to NOT do it again for a while.

Doing this in your late 40s and sparring literally every night with people either half my age or people my age that are way more skilled than I shows me old man toughness stupidity is a thing. I can sluff off a strong hit/kick and basically just ignore the new bruises I see every morning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Crosspost from the martial arts a/t thread.

Basically, part of my black belt program is I need to do 3x fitness tests. My first one was last night. It was indeed a killer and can see how some people who have done it have puked during or immediately afterwards.

Consisted of:
5x Wind Sprints up/down the length of the gym (approx 45-50' each way?)
1x Bear Crawl up/down length of gym
10x Jumping squats (the kind where you jump up onto a platform after the squat)
10x jumping switch lunges
10x burpees
10x tricep dips with chairs
10x push ups
1x agility ladder - Lateral in/out
seal/zombie crawl to next ladder (no feet, dragging your body) approx 10-15'
1x agility ladder - Forward in/out
10x ab rollouts

2 min break - repeat for total of 5 times.

It doesn't sound insane but repeating over and over again was not fun. By the 3rd go around the burpees were exhausting my triceps were on fire for the push ups right after the dips. The teenagers who are in awesome shape had zero problems but us who are 3x their age with abused bodies certainly worked our asses off. I was exhausted, but I completed it so I'll take it as a personal win.

First time (last night) is my baseline. Now to improve on it for the next 2. I am NOT looking forward to doing it again, let alone 2x more times.
But, I did it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Fat mother fucker here. Through walking 10k steps at least six days per week (not during December, January, February, too cold) and low-carb eating, I have managed to drop 50 pounds over the last year. There is still plenty of weight to lose. When it gets cold this year I'm switching over to a plan with some of those Bowflex adjustable dumbbells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

50lbs is awesome, good job.

Don't feel like you need to buy weights/equipment to get into shape. Try some calisthenics before you start spending money.

You absolutely do not need anything more than your body to work against/with. I got rid of basically all my equipment other than a treadmill and heavy bag, and I'll probably sell the treadmill because I never use it. I posted this some time ago, but here is a small example of a good, basic exercise regimen with zero equipment. You can modify as your body allows.

slidebite posted:

Give something like this a try 4 times a week for a month and see how you feel. If you can do more than 4, great. It's not going to make you into a fine tuned machine on its own, buts it's a decent short routine that doesn't take a huge commitment.

3 sets of each. Should take all of about 15 minutes.