Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I finally bought a bike again about a month ago, after being bike-less for years. So I started lugging it on the s-train to work and biking home, and this week -- since the weather cooled down a bit -- I've started biking all the way to work instead, around 7.5km. Last time I tried doing that on my old bike, I was absolutely drenched. Now I have a nice new bike and in somewhat better shape, it's actually possible without stinking of sweat the rest of the day.

I don't really have a hard fitness goal as such, and I'm still doing crossfit a couple of times/week, but I'm hoping to improve my cardio game, I still get winded and sweaty way too quickly.

E: Gotta have (life)goals, empty chatting isn't good enough.

GOAL: 32, 178cm, currently at 100kg, so I'd like to get below 95, ideally below 90. Never gonna be skinny, but I'd like to lose the gut. Improved cardio, no hard metric for that, but I'd like to not be completely winded after biking home from work.
TIMEFRAME: End of year.
PLAN: Bike commute, crossfit, stuffing my face less than I do now, cut down on the alcohol intake, especially beer at concerts/festivals.
OBSTACLE: I just bought an ice cream maker.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

What's everyone's goals for today?

Bike to work - Done (well, from the train station to work. I'm not ready yet for a ~16km ride from my girlfriend's apartment to work, without getting seriously sweaty)
Take stairs at work, avoid elevators - Done
Stand at desk - Done
Eat a light lunch - Done
Bike home (7.5km) - Done

Feeling pretty good for a non-workout day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Status at 1034 hours:

Biked to work (7.5km), tried to not work up too much of a sweat. Biking succeeded, no-sweat tactic failed, but I could handle it with a splash of cold water and a fresh t-shirt.
Helped my colleagues carry ~300 cans of soda up the stairs to our office.
Lunch is going to be relatively hefty, since it'll be my only proper meal of the day.
Gonna bike home, then do crossfit for an hour, then collapse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Didn't make it to crossfit, because I have to go pick up the ice cream maker today. But I pedaled extra hard on my way home to make up for it :shobon:

Strava says 8.2 km and 56m elevation in 26:30, avg/max speed 21.3/47.2 kph.

Not too bad for a fat dude who's been out of the saddle for ~2 years.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

Also is it just me or is soda water the best poo poo ever? It hits my soda itch, it's basically water, and it's both available and free at any fast food place / cava / chipotle.

It totally rules, and is more refreshing than straight water. A bit of lemon/line and it's perfect.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NumbersMatching320 posted:

The AI uniform is cargo shorts and band shirts or blipshifts and no more needs to be said.

Guilty as charged. Also, I work in IT, so it's like a double official uniform.

Didn't work out at all during the weekend, gonna hit the bike commute hard all next week, plus crossfit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Biked 8km to work, 8km home from work yesterday. Goddamn stupid rear end headwinds suck.

Followed up with an hour of crossfit, plenty of shoulder presses, love them. Also plenty of burpees, don't love those.

I ache like a motherfucker all over today.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Personal best on all of the marked uphill sections of my commute home, according to Strava :clint:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I know it doesn't count for poo poo when I've only got a single-digit number of rides. But it feels good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Larrymer posted:

I'm very close to my BMI being "not overweight" for the first time ever. barely

My BMI is ~31 right now, which is apparently stage 1 obesity. 178cm, 98kg.

Yeah, I have a bit of a gut, but I'm not loving obese :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Biked 9km yesterday along nice forest and beach roads to walk along the beach and eat burgers (and ice cream :ssh:), and then back again.

Probably a calorie surplus, but certainly also a quality of life surplus. I feel ashamed for not using my old bike more, while I still had it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Biked to work, it's getting to be a very good routine, usually average around 20kph.

Didn't bike home, as it was loving pouring down, and a colleague offered me a ride.

Did crossfit, though. WOD was The Seven, which just utterly murdered me, even though I didn't do it at Rx. Backstory of it is a lot of BS rah rah military poo poo, but the workout is a beast.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Get a better saddle! If your junk goes numb, you're doing damage to it.

You should be resting on your sit bones, not the squishy bits.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Try putting it roughly in the middle of its adjustments, as a start. Obviously set the height correctly so you legs are still very slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke.

Then try everything else in standard position, remember to sit a bit back in the saddle, so you're on your butt/sit bones, and see how that works for numbness.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Utterly destroyed myself on a partner 50/50 workout yesterday. Simple enough stuff:

120 pushups
120 wall balls
120 kettlebell swings

Repeat with 60 reps, then 30 reps. We came in at 28:47, and I was dead. At least it was one of those workouts where you don't grind to a halt midway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Still biking to and from work. Been dealing with migraines lately, which is not good for my motivation.