Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Today's goal: Get to my diabetes prevention class early and do some cycling before tonight's class and group workout.

Already killed some weights yesterday and I'm feeling good. Closing in on 80lbs lost since Jan 2017. Glad to see AI getting interested and involved in fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

QuarkMartial posted:

Today's goal: Get to my diabetes prevention class early and do some cycling before tonight's class and group workout.

Already killed some weights yesterday and I'm feeling good. Closing in on 80lbs lost since Jan 2017. Glad to see AI getting interested and involved in fitness.

Did my class. Haven't lost since last week.

Goals are in my fitness log. Do I have to repost them here?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Also is it just me or is soda water the best poo poo ever? It hits my soda itch, it's basically water, and it's both available and free at any fast food place / cava / chipotle.

Protip:

Blue Coast Burrito, Firehouse Subs, and Taco Bell (and others) have not only posted nutrition information, but also nutrition calculators. Very handy and let's you see the breakdown of your custom order so you can easily throw it in MFP.

Obviously, the ideal is not eating out, but for my wife and I now... That just isn't possible most nights, so we've had to do some digging on this.

I'll throw my goals and stuff up here when I get on the laptop tonight.

E: Here's a link to my log with my goals:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845366

Today's goal was to take a rest day and work on my dissertation. So far, I'm doing the former but not the latter.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 17, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Rest day on the workout front for me. Tomorrow is back/more shoulders!

How's everyone else's daily goals?

My good shoulder aches from what I hope is just ignoring it cramping up during my good mornings and powering through the other day. Looks like swimming might be on tap today, too.

Did meet my daily goal of playing basketball or soccer with my students at recess.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
In the words of CT Fletcher, take your punk rear end to the gym.

Goals for the day: stay under 55 fat grams and get some swimming in if the weather permits. Also get the wood for building my caber for my Highland Games training. Got my kilt, so I guess I better start training. I'm only like two months behind my goal of training this summer.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nthing form over numbers. Literally no one cares what you squat. It's a mind over matter thing; the ones there to exercise don't mind what you squat, and that ones that give you poo poo about it don't matter.

Swimming was out, so I didn't really do that goal. So far so good at staying under my calorie / fat goals, tho.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nike Air Monarch IV have served me well as a general purpose shoe. I think if you're doing a lot of anything specific, you want a shoe to fit it - so if you do a lot of running, you'll want a running shoe.

They worked great for lifting, to a point. Once I got into heavier weights, the soles were too squishy to be supportive and I got some dedicated lifting shoes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use straps and chalk for my deadlifts. I don't give a gently caress, my grip gives out long before everything else.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Enourmo posted:

Unless you're going for full on raised heel powerlifting shoes, the advice I always heard was to go for the polar opposite: chucks or straight-up barefoot. Worked ok for me, I did a deadlift srm of 405 in chucks.

Depends... on, well, a lot. I don't run, but I understand that if you take up running, you want the right shoe for it. For weightlifting, it really depends on the lift, preference, and so on. Generally, for squats an elevated heel is preferred and for deadlifts a flat foot (or bare foot) is preferred. Like I said, I didn't feel the need for lifting shoes until I got into heavier weights and could feel the soles in my Nikes get very squishy and feel unstable - made me try to correct and my knees hurt.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Killed yesterday's workout, now today's goal is to meet my calorie and fat goals, and go to my prediabetes prevention class (and do their group workout).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Went to class, skipped group workout to instead keep an eye on my wife who wasn't feeling well and to replace the starter in my truck.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well, I bought 3 2x8x16s to make caber to throw around to practice for the Highland Games.

They're only two weeks away, sooo I'm boned for practice.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlifted 330lb for 8 reps with nothing but chalk today. That was pretty cool.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlifts are my favorite exercise.

Least favorite? Overhead press because it's a bitch that refuses to increase.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Where's everyone at? Goals set for this weekend?

Spent the day working on my truck, ate some ribs and unhealthy sides for dinner. Planning to work on the wife's car tomorrow and eat better.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My junk always falls asleep, so I have to shift around a bunch.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's a gym bike, so no saddle change for me sadly. Who has a good fitment guide? They are super adjustable with height and forward/backward adjustments, and maybe a tilt too.

gently caress yeah, 79lbs lost since Jan 2017.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Here you go dude, height and layback is the main thing but also reach as that determines how much weight you place on the saddle vs the bars. From what I remember gym bikes tend to have numbered settings so hopefully you can just remember after setting yourself up the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

Also 79lbs is loving fantastic. :hfive:

Thanks! I'll try it out when I go to the gym again. Everything is numbered, so it should be just a matter of recording my digits and keeping them for the next time. Too bad I can't monkey with the handlebars to adjust my reach.... Or maybe I can, I've not really looked.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: bike seats, is it still a thing where you're not supposed to get the softer, more comfortable seats if it's bothering your rear end?

Blind leading blind here, but that's what I've always heard.

Did my athletic clinic for tomorrow's Highland Games. Fuckin stoked.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Did a killer chest/back/shoulder day. Feeling amazing, and I'm starting my prep for next year's Highland Games.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Did some hiit with a trainer today. Feels good to run / job nearly a mile on a machine.

I've never done that before. I mean, I've been on an elliptical and done a mile or two on them, but I've never ran/jogged a mile on one before.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I did some interval running on an elliptical today (and leg day was yesterday no less) and it didn't suck. Well, it did, but in a good way.

Tomorrow is my upper body day, and I'll probably run again on the elliptical tomorrow, too, if I have time

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Haha gently caress me my legs are so sore :v:

Looks like my new 1rm is getting off the toilet

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yuuup...

Did my upper body stuff today. Looking forward to full body DOMS tomorrow :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Double post but it's a new day. Worked with .y trainer today with a lot of tough and fun exercises.

The gently caress are y'all doing today?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Liquid Communism posted:

Sleeping off horsepills worth of antibiotics because one of my coworkers decided to come in sick and give the whole office the plague.

Ugh.

Adiabatic posted:

Salsa baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYRaoM5Xuc ?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

jamal posted:

Key thing with this whole fitness thing is to try to have fun I think. Otherwise how long are you really going to keep it up?

This can't be said enough. People get too bogged down on what the best workout is. Just be active and find something you enjoy. If it's biking, do it! If it's walking, go walk. If it's hiking, great. Working in your yard / garden? Get it! Any activity is better than the paralysis and inactivity caused by being overwhelmed with various workouts you have to do to be fit. It goes without saying, but I'll mention it before someone else does, that yes, once you find an activity you enjoy, there are probably workouts you can do to help you be better at it. Bottom line: You have to enjoy it to keep doing it.

Did more cardio today (interval training on the elliptical) with my wife - we did cardio together on the ellipticals, then I helped her do the machine workout the trainer prescribed to her. All in all a good workout. Now for a lazy afternoon of working on my dissertation...

It's Saturday duders, what are you doing?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

SHOULDER DAY

Throw some face pulls / rear delt flys (if you don't alread) for good shoulder health (tm)

MrChips posted:

Trip report - finally went and did some non-rehab poo poo at the gym; starting out easy on the machines rather than free weights for now. It went better than expected, but there is still some lingering issue through my left side, as I could literally feel the muscles tightening up hard through my upper back, shoulder and chest as I did some bench presses, as well as a couple of big ugly clicks through my T6-T8 vertebrae when I rolled out on the foam roller, but other than that, it was a pretty positive overall!

Nice!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
DEADLIFT DAY
My favorite.

But I didn't have a lot of time today, so all I did was my deadlifts. Downside: somehow lost my barbell clamps and liquid chalk. Couldn't pull 405, which I've done before a few times; I tried five or six times today, too. On the upside: Managed to pull 3x315 and 1x355 with no straps or chalk. Did 2x3@355, so that was great. Also, the last time I did 405 that was a lot closer to bodyweight for me. Now that's about 50lbs over my bodyweight, so maybe that has something to do with it (though I should, in theory, be stronger now than before...) I'll finish this workout tomorrow, though, then go do a group workout that is supposed to be yoga.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Leg day is the best day.

I only had time for deadlifts yesterday, so today I did the rest of my workout. SSB squats, good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts, bicep curls, tricep extensions, and rear delt flys. Have a group workout later that is supposed to be yoga. We'll see how that goes.

E: yoga was fun. Since it's a freebie thrown in with this other program I'm in, it was a mix of yoga, pilates, and something else that's kinda similar. I still liked it, and I'm more flexible than I realized.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 27, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Upper body day. Lots of pressing, overhead presses, bench presses, DB chest and shoulder presses. Some good pulling too, DB rows, lat pulldowns, cable rows, some body rows on straps anchored to the wall...

Yeah. My shoulders and triceps hate me. Chest is getting there. My back doesn't give a gently caress, and I did some curls just so my biceps didn't feel left out.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

I am sitting in my car after chest-tricep day and I am the most wonderful kind of spent right now. I didnt want to go but I chugged preworkout and gave every last bit I had and boy do I feel good about it.

Those are the best workouts.

jamal posted:

I'm just sitting here eating candy. Wed night race went kind of meh and I felt pretty bad yesterday so I'm just going to get in some rest. Probably no sprint workout tomorrow either.

That was me yesterday. I had my first migraine and it sucked. Get out and sprint tomorrow, you'll feel better. Or not, but you'll at least have done something / have one less thing to feel crappy about.

Wrar posted:

Top and I volunteered at a food bank and helped unload a 40' of non palletized water and then moved potatoes in boxes with pallet jacks. It was good. I wish I could stop coughing.

Also a fun workout. Love days like that, too. Reminds me of that whole happy yeoman myth in American history. (Then again, feeling good after a hard day's work is a real feeling and not so much a myth, so...)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
More intervals today. Meh.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Battle ropes mfers. That poo poo is tough; did three 1 minute intervals for some upper body cardio. Also did some body rows and stationary bike interval training.

Get some cardio. Is good for you.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Tonight's group workout was water aerobics. Would have been nice if my legs would have stopped cramping, but whatever. Still had an enjoyable workout, followed by some Caribbean food afterwards.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

5am legday, I feel, is the only way to legday. Just get it the gently caress over with.

Savor the leg day.

Today was chest/back/shoulders.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Have you tried intervals? What kinds of bikes are there?
Where I go there are these Sprint 8 bikes that have a cool interval setting where you ride at a brisk pace, then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds to a minute then back to a brisk pace. They also have expresso HD bikes that are like playing a video game. Both of those make cardio more interesting, at least to me.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I gotcha. Cardio is boring as hell, I feel you in that. Being limited to leg stuff makes it worse. Once you heal, there's other stuff to do like battle ropes and such that are more fun forms of cardio.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlift daaaay

Pulled 370 3x with no straps. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Woa woa woa... this thread is at the bottom and about to go onto the second page! Can't have that!

Did some cardio yesterday, then did more cardio today and chest / back (presses, bench presses, all the upper body poo poo).

Wife busted her ankle and wanted to keep up her momentum in the gym, so we then spent an hour swimming in the pool. Well, she swam for a full hour and didn't stop moving. I swam for thirty minutes total during that hour.