Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BWV posted:

i hope barca tricks someone into signing Uncle Phil. He just isn't dynamic enough as a wide player and can't cut it in the midfield. I could see him going back to being successful in another team but this weird false left winger poo poo he has to do at Barca doesn't square with what the squad needs from that position.

150m well spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the whole Neymar thing broke their brains. at least the Arthur and Dembele buys worked out, even if the latter was still insanely high

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

BWV posted:

i hope barca tricks someone into signing Uncle Phil. He just isn't dynamic enough as a wide player and can't cut it in the midfield. I could see him going back to being successful in another team but this weird false left winger poo poo he has to do at Barca doesn't square with what the squad needs from that position.

What do you mean by can't cut it in the midfield?

His time at Liverpool shows that he can bring a lot to the table, but with Messi, Suarez and Dembele all there, it's not like Coutinho's the only one at Barca who can excel at what he does well.

I'm still a little bitter at how Barca tapped him up.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Coutinho is best if given a bit of a free role and allowed to dominate the ball. It makes no sense to let him do it when you having Messi though. He’s a good player, just not what they needed.

The idea that he would replace Iniesta always seemed insane to me

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

in barca's 4-3-3 the midfielders need to basically be ball magnets and short passers. The winning trio has been Arthur, Rakitic and Busquets, with Vidal usually subbing for Arthur around 70 minutes. Coutinho seems to excel as a floating mid that switches between passing and attacking but with Messi already there as a free player that doesn't really work. Rakitic is better at going up and down and Arthur looks more and more like a Xavi replacement (Coutinho occasionally does this but he can only turn right and wont play that deep).
I think he'd be really successful on another team but Valverde sorta plays like Luis Enrique where the midfield wins and holds the ball and the front 3 (with Messi and Dembele pushing it forward on the wings) plus Jordi Alba generates the scoring.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dembelé just needs a few new replacements organs to be fine, quick, call Sandro Rosell now that he's out of jail, pretty sure he knows a guy who knows a guy.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

barca are doing everything in their power to get Coutinho a goal and he can't stop kicking it at the keeper

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

very sloppy but real happy they were able to win the league before the big game against pool

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm still drunk but it's been a pleasure posting with you all this season.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Welp, this is over. And now it's time for some champion's league drama.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Angry Lobster posted:

Welp, this is over. And now it's time for some champion's league drama.

Yes it's weird that there's no Spanish trans left in it.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dembele got hurt yesterday, again. I was going to bitch about Valverde playing him when he should be really saved for Liverpool but it seems he gets hurt so often (and so randomly) that he's really in a no win situation.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He's an exciting player when he's fit and in form but that happens so rarely...

It's hilarious how bad Dembele and Coutinho have been.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Thank God for Messi and, to a lesser degree, Suarez.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Angry Lobster posted:

Thank God for Messi and, to a lesser degree, Suarez.

And Roberto!

Atletico decided to get murdered which is surprising. But not unexpected.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Real Madrid bad

Also who knew itv showed la Liga games?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

Real Madrid bad

Also who knew itv showed la Liga games?

They are on autopilot thinking about getting oiled up on some yacht in the med.

And yes itv usually has the smaller games on it.

Or like if PSG is playing, bein will always show that over anything else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who have they actually signed since winning that first of the 3 cls

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Who have they actually signed since winning that first of the 3 cls

Vinicus, Courtois, Mariano, Theo Hernandez, Danilo, Morata, Kovacic.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The yearly "Keylor is leaving" rumors are picking up again, I hope it's true this time because he needs to play every week to be in good form for the national team.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

trem_two posted:

Vinicus, Courtois, Mariano, Theo Hernandez, Danilo, Morata, Kovacic.

lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Griezmann announced he's leaving Atletico. Guess that must mean he's joining Barcelona.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

trem_two posted:

Griezmann announced he's leaving Atletico. Guess that must mean he's joining Barcelona.
I would assume so.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1128390273602605058

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Casillas has retired

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Casillas has retired

Jose retired him six years ago.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
RM is finishing the season in style.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Cucurella finally learned to shoot in his final game with us. Better late than never i suppose

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://streamable.com/z1fi2

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

getting owned in the CL sucked but finishing 19 points ahead of Madrid after finishing 17 points up on them last year is amazing poo poo

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Lol at Zidane savaging Bale in the post match presser.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
We can joke about triangles within triangles etc but I kind of miss Barca actually having a pretentious style of play. Whenever I've caught a La Liga game this season they've seemed broadly effective but also boring to watch. Ofc Real being total dogshit in the league probably hasn't helped keep the Barca boys sharp.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Another season comes to an end.

So long and thanks for all the laughs Badrid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Lol at Zidane savaging Bale in the post match presser.

I hope Bale never leaves and soaks all the salary

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
La Liga is a Mickey Mouse league being propped up by Messi :colbert:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
If Barca signs both Ajax kids + Griezmann, Madrid is gonna have to spend a billion to keep things halfway interesting

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It's looking like they'll for sure get Hazard but they wont get Big Mar or Mbappe. Bale has also said he's willing to just sit out his contract more or less so they'd probably have to give a team a sweetheart loan deal like they did for Hamez (and that bit them in the rear end). Kroos just re-upped and both Perez and Zidanne love Benzema so I feel like most of this core is going to be back next year. I guess they are banking on Vincisius improving as well.

Atleti's transfer window will also be real interesting. It's looking like they'll be selling their entire core and moving towards younger players.

If Barca can sell Coutinho for anything close to his purchase price and reinvest the money in shady medical tech to keep Dembele healthy it would be huge.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I thought Jovic to Real was effectively a done deal

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's zidane's beef with bale anyway. Surely bale's not bad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mila kunis posted:

They've decided he's not worth what they're paying him so want to force him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

mila kunis posted:

It's never been officially confirmed but Bale does a lot of things that man manager like Zidane doesn't care for. He doesn't train hard, he doesn't seem to build strong relationships with teammates and his injuries (and desire to gtfo out of the city as often as possible) prevented him from developing chemistry. He also mopes a lot and acted like a diva when he fairly lost his position to Lucas Vasquez last year. It sorta became a negative feedback loop where he lost his job to injury and then had a bad attitude which led to Vasquez playing more which led to a worse attitude which then led to even less playing time.
Oh and he was actually bad this year when he did play. But then again so war Marcelo and Zidane is loyal to him so it's probably off the field stuff.