Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
thanks for that valuable contribution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Douglas Adams

Four the crime of dying too soon.

Also for doing a "Poochie went home to his planet and died on the way" on Fenchurch which was my favourite character.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

thanks for that valuable contribution

You're welcome.

Too much :effort: to scroll back to see what you are replying to, so will just assume it was one of my stunning posts

cherry13chumscum
Jun 14, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Don't want to confirm if this is true or not due to grappling with some mental issues right now, but rumor has it that Marion Zimmer Bradley was a pedo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

cherry13chumscum posted:

Don't want to confirm if this is true or not due to grappling with some mental issues right now, but rumor has it that Marion Zimmer Bradley was a pedo.

It's true.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Rumor" is a fantastically in-denial way to put it. She and her husband raped their own kids and others for years.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The very first paragraph on her Wikipedia page posted:

While she is noted for her feminist perspective in her writing, her popularity has been posthumously marred by multiple accusations against her of child sexual abuse and rape by two of her children, Mark and Moira Greyland, and others and for enabling her husband at the time (who was an admitted pedophile) to abuse and rape multiple unrelated children.
Really hope there isn't anything to these rumors that her kids and her husband's criminal record are spreading.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rowling for being a massive terf and a closet Tory.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1305523700238815238?s=19

This has to be a joke or some kind of "gotcha" thing, no one can be that transparently stupid and terrible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

This has to be a joke or some kind of "gotcha" thing, no one can be that transparently stupid and terrible.
:allears:
https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a33012556/jk-rowling-robert-galbraith-books/

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The Silkworm and Career of Evil already had huge hints towards this: there's a 'hostile witness' who is trans in the former and the villain of the latter alters his appearance significantly.

She was also threatening to sue people over them criticizing her bigot / CHUD rhetoric? That I really don't get, as she tore this mask off years ago. It's really not a joke and I wouldn't recommend reading the Strike books unless it's morbid curiosity.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 15, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
More like Cormorant Strike.

Just a big loving bird following her around and making GBS threads on her all the time.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

Rowling for being a massive terf and a closet Tory.

Called it a year ago.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Rowling isn't a TERF; she's a just a transphobe. There's nothing radical about her feminism. It is, not even a joke, unfair to real TERFs - who are monsters - to call Rowling a TERF.

Also if we're talking about assholes who died too soon: Iain M. Banks. His death hit me harder than any other celebrity/person I don't know besides Robin Williams.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You sure called the thing that people were already saying.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Katt posted:

Called it a year ago.

Definitely a TERF, but I don't think she's a closet Tory so much as an Extremely Online Lib Dem with basically the same views as a lot of other Extremely Online Lib Dems.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Scratch a Lib Dem and you'll find a Tory. It'll be a cold one before I vote for them again.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Rowling isn't a TERF; she's a just a transphobe. There's nothing radical about her feminism. It is, not even a joke, unfair to real TERFs - who are monsters - to call Rowling a TERF.

TERF just means transphobe these days. I suppose we can say it stands for trans-excluding repulsive fuckwit or something.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't think that term goes far enough, J.K.Rowling seems to be one bad day away from starting a violent hate group.
If we could only harvest the brainworms and use them for good.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Doesn't this loving tome (isn't it like 900 pages long) also have some obsession with hijabs and burkas and just Muslim women generally?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

Definitely a TERF, but I don't think she's a closet Tory so much as an Extremely Online Lib Dem with basically the same views as a lot of other Extremely Online Lib Dems.

She's been pushing Tory talking points against Labour for something like 3 years.

The Lib Dems are also Tories.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I thought that every brit already keeps a personal Thatcher monument in their flat, it's referred to as a "loo".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does J.K. Rowling set the record as the world's richest transphobe?

Terry Goodkind died. He wasn't a rotten person, as far as we know. More just a petty jerk whose books were prime fodder for mockery.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does J.K. Rowling set the record as the world's richest transphobe?

Terry Goodkind died. He wasn't a rotten person, as far as we know. More just a petty jerk whose books were prime fodder for mockery.

I mean, he was an objectivist who mainly saw his books as a way to push his intensely creepy ideology (including a lengthy digression on why massacring pacifists is cool and good). That seems like enough to qualify him for this thread.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Huh.

On one hand, I liked WFR back when I first read it in eighth grade (back before I knew any better), and the guy, whatever his faults, had a good mental eye for physical detail in his world and wasn't terrible at describing it (before he gave up trying, judging from some of his later stuff I flipped through). On the other hand, 1) how the gently caress did red-leather dominatrices get past an editor? and 2) how did that same editor give a thumbs up to 2a) a nearly plagiarized version of Robert Jordan's ideas with the Aes Sedai, and 2b) an equally plagiarized but watered-down version of already unpalatable objectivism?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Terry Goodkind posted:

"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.
"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"
"Stop the hate! Stop the hate!" the people chanted as they locked arms.
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.
"Move!" Richard called as he bore down on the people.
A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"
"Move or die!" Richard yelled as he picked up speed.
The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"
On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.
At the realization that their defense of the Imperial Order's brutality would actually result in consequences to themselves, the crowd began scattering in fright, screaming curses back at Richard and his men.
Sounds like a pretty rotten person wrote that to me.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
i gave it a shot but didn't make it past the third "'X!' Y speeched as they Z'ed"

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 18, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds like a pretty rotten person wrote that to me.

Before anyone tries to argue that this is someone writing a purposefully reprehensible character, Richard is the hero of the story.

He's basically God.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Before anyone tries to argue that this is someone writing a purposefully reprehensible character, Richard is the hero of the story.

He's basically God.
More importantly, he is Always Right.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

anilEhilated posted:

More importantly, he is Always Right.

sound like the god

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

Huh.

On one hand, I liked WFR back when I first read it in eighth grade (back before I knew any better), and the guy, whatever his faults, had a good mental eye for physical detail in his world and wasn't terrible at describing it (before he gave up trying, judging from some of his later stuff I flipped through). On the other hand, 1) how the gently caress did red-leather dominatrices get past an editor? and 2) how did that same editor give a thumbs up to 2a) a nearly plagiarized version of Robert Jordan's ideas with the Aes Sedai, and 2b) an equally plagiarized but watered-down version of already unpalatable objectivism?

on the third hand, :dogbutton: at the source of these accolades:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lmfo

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Eason the Fifth posted:

on the third hand, :dogbutton: at the source of these accolades:

This guy's summed it up pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ylsQ0DepI

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

He's basically God.

yes, anyone who has ever written a book with an antihero is a reprehensible person, that's how fiction works

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that loving raskolnikov, proof positive that Dostoyevsky was a chud

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ulvir posted:

that loving raskolnikov, proof positive that Dostoyevsky was a chud

dostoyevsky did not contort the entire rest of the story in order to make raskolnikov Actually Correct.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wasn't Columbo ripped straight from "crime and punishment"?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ulvir posted:

yes, anyone who has ever written a book with an antihero is a reprehensible person, that's how fiction works

He's not an antihero, though. Goodkind makes it clear both inside and outside his story that Richard is a model of righteousness and virtue so extreme that, for example his first attempt at sculpting a statue is enough to convert an entire city from communism to capitalism through the sheer force of noble individualism it expressed. Massacring those peaceful protesters was an objectively good thing to do.

Objectivists are loving batshit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Terry Pratchet had an anti-democratic bent where Vetinari always came out on top and his authoritarianism is never punished and he never grows as a character.

Even when he was brought down through revolution the story ends up with him back in power and the lesson being to not rock the boat or things could get worse.

Several discworld stories feature unruly mobs making a mess of things and the situation eventually being resolved by the firm hand of a powerful individual.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

He's not an antihero, though. Goodkind makes it clear both inside and outside his story that Richard is a model of righteousness and virtue so extreme that, for example his first attempt at sculpting a statue is enough to convert an entire city from communism to capitalism through the sheer force of noble individualism it expressed. Massacring those peaceful protesters was an objectively good thing to do.

I'm lacking context, but in the quoted passage they don't seem like peaceful protesters, the seem like poorly armed combatants. Get out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Drone Jett posted:

I'm lacking context, but in the quoted passage they don't seem like peaceful protesters, the seem like poorly armed combatants. Get out of the way.

Nope, they're armed only with their hatred for moral clarity.