Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

That might have been so but I'm not sure. He also admired Stalin and Mussolini and believed that eugenics was good science and a viable basis for policy.

Most of those guys/stuff are bad, but Stalin was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

JebanyPedal posted:

Depending on your personal tastes James Joyce might have been a bad man because of his depraved fart slut habits.
there is nothing bad about being a wild irish fart slut

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Shaw had some hosed up authoritarian attitudes.

At the same time, I believe that the majority of people support totalitarianism in principle, provided the dictator is from "their" side, so I suppose it's not as odd as one may suppose. :shrug:

I don't think Bernard Shaw ever held himself out as a democrat, did he?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What's wrong with authoritarianism?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To respond to "do you get bad person cooties" seriously - in the case of Marion Zimmer Bradley I can't pick up one of her works without thinking about her pedophilia and child abuse and that just ruins the read.

It's a kind of similar situation as Piers Anthony, except that - I don't know if he actually did anything. I do know that he wrote pedophilia into at least one of his books and had the characters defend it as love.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
you should never pick up a marion zimmer bradley book irrespective of the fact that she's a child rapist

problem solved

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
"sadly my appreciation of the book where king arthur jacks off while watching lancelot cuckold him with guinevere was tarnished by the knowledge that the author was some kind of sex weirdo"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Le Morte d'Arthur and its rapist author are weird

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, Le Morte d'Arthur and its rapist author are weird

I already mentioned that one.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

I really don't understand the point of all this really. Just because someone has done one or two bad things when they have provided so much doesn't make them bad, just human. Pobodys nerfect after all, right? You also have to look at the context of the time as well. It was perfectly normal to believe fascism is good and believe in phrenology in the 30s. These were widespread popular beliefs after all. You just have to remember it was a different time where what was acceptable back then isn't today.

I just think that the call-out culture has gone to far and is really finding any reason to drag anyone semi popular into the dirt just to make yourselves feel superior. All I'm saying is that maybe we should have a bit more care over who we go after because without these people we wouldn't have the media we enjoy today. Without kevin spacey 21 wouldn't have been a hit movie, no fascism means no Mishima, no pedophiles means no sa moderators

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jagstag posted:

believe in phrenology in the 30s
:staredog:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Maybe the 1830s.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jagstag posted:

Without kevin spacey 21 wouldn't have been a hit movie

Truly the darkest timeline.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Alhazred posted:

jagstag posted:

Without kevin spacey 21 wouldn't have been a hit movie
Truly the darkest timeline.
Co-produced by Brett Ratner, another victim of rampant callout culture. People need to understand that we had a different set of values in

uh

the early 2000s.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think jagstag's post was serious, but it wasn't really funny either. Lukewarm.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Orwell himself deserves a mention here for how appallingly sexist he could be sometimes.

Orwell's greatest crimes were snitching and sharing his odious tea advice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Orwell's old columns are fun to mine for bad takes in general, so long as you bear in mind that the vast majority of op-ed writers, tweetmongers, and other "public intellectuals," both then and now, probably generally have a worse ratio of bad to good takes than Orwell did.

quote:

The immunity of the civilian, one of the things that have made war possible, has been shattered. Unlike Miss Brittain, I don't regret that. I can't feel that war is ‘humanized’ by being confined to the slaughter of the young and becomes ‘barbarous’ when the old get killed as well.

Having received some criticism for this take, Orwell doubled down in a subsequent column:

quote:

The other thing that needs dealing with is the parrot cry "killing women and children." I pointed out before, but evidently it needs repeating, that it is probably somewhat better to kill a cross-section of the population than to kill only the young men. If the figures published by the Germans are true, and we have really killed 1,200,000 civilians in our raids, that loss of life has probably harmed the German race somewhat less than a corresponding loss on the Russian front or in Africa and Italy.

Any nation at war will do its best to protect its children, and the number of children killed in raids probably does not correspond to their percentage of the general population. Women cannot be protected to the same extent, but the outcry against killing women, if you accept killing at all, is sheer sentimentality. Why is it worse to kill a woman than a man? The argument usually advanced is that in killing women you are killing the breeders, whereas men can be more easily spared. But this is a fallacy based on the notion that human beings can be bred like animals. The idea behind it is that since one man is capable of fertilizing a very large number of women, just as a prize ram fertilizes thousands of ewes, the loss of male lives is comparatively unimportant. Human beings, however, are not cattle. When the slaughter caused by war leaves a surplus of women, the enormous majority of those women bear no children. Male lives are very nearly as important, biologically, as female ones.

He also wrote a column called "In Defense of English Cooking."

Edit: Don't forget this one:

quote:

There are also the hairtonic adverts which tell you how Daphne got promotion in the W.A.A.F.S. (women's auxiliary air force) thanks to the neatness and glossiness of her hair. But these are misleading as well as whorish, for I seldom or never pass a group of officers in the W.A.A.F.S., A.T.S. or W.R.E.N.S. (women's royal naval service) without having cause to reflect that at any rate, promotion in the women's service has nothing to do with looks.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 5, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

he's dead to me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More amusing Orwell hot takes:

quote:

Sometimes it is necessary to take over a foreign word, but in that case we should anglicize its pronunciation, as our ancestors used to do. If we really need the word ‘café’ (we got on well enough with ‘coffee house’ for two hundred years), it should either be spelled ‘caffay’ or pronounced ‘cayfe’. ‘Garage’ should be pronounced ‘garridge’. For what point is there in littering our speech with fragments of foreign pronunciation, very tiresome to anyone who does not happen to have learned that particular language?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ye gods I would love to reanimate him and show him kids speaking MLE, he'd absolutely do his nut

PS: "caff" and "garridge" are totally mainstream down my ends, cuz

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Silver2195 posted:

:yikes:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Dante Alighieri deserves a mention in this thread for his political opinions, as described by James Burnham in "Dante: Politics as Wish." (Burnham had awful politics of his own - which brings us back to Orwell, who discussed those in "Second Thoughts on James Burnham.") In his De Monarchia Dante, who was bitter about being exiled from Florence for his support of the relatively pro-HRE Bianchi faction, argued that the Holy Roman Emperor should rule the entire world.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Plato complained about the invention of writing, which a lot of posters in this very thread appear to be big fans of such debauchery.

He also complained about kids enjoying loud music and they should get off his lawn.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comstar posted:

Plato complained about the invention of writing, which a lot of posters in this very thread appear to be big fans of such debauchery.

He also complained about kids enjoying loud music and they should get off his lawn.

He was a wise man.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If Plato had been alive today he would probably write a lot of articles about the difference between ephebophilia and pedophilia.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

Dante Alighieri deserves a mention in this thread for his political opinions, as described by James Burnham in "Dante: Politics as Wish." (Burnham had awful politics of his own - which brings us back to Orwell, who discussed those in "Second Thoughts on James Burnham.") In his De Monarchia Dante, who was bitter about being exiled from Florence for his support of the relatively pro-HRE Bianchi faction, argued that the Holy Roman Emperor should rule the entire world.

On many occasions Dante would profess anti-papal views.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

quote:

The first major scandal occurred on Easter Sunday in 1768, in which Sade procured the services of a woman, Rose Keller,[16] a widow-beggar who approached him for alms. He told her she could make money by working for him—she understood her work to be that of a housekeeper. At his chateau at Arcueil, Sade ripped her clothes off, threw her on a divan and tied her by the four limbs, face-down, so that she could not see behind her. Then he whipped her. Keller testified that he made various incisions on her body into which he poured hot wax, although investigators found no broken skin on Keller, and Sade explained that he had applied ointment to her after the whipping. Keller finally escaped by climbing out of a second-floor window and running away. The Sade family paid the maid to keep her quiet but the wave of social embarrassment made Sade drift off into the edges of society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis_de_Sade#Scandals_and_imprisonment

Also, Schopenhauer pushed a maid down a flight of stairs.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Marx was a communist.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
The Marquis De Sade died of a heart attack buttfucking a 16 year old maid in a closet.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

God Of Paradise posted:

The Marquis De Sade died of a heart attack buttfucking a 16 year old maid in a closet.

wrong thread

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I know it's considered cool to make half-joking contrarian remarks here, but sexually exploiting people in subordinate positions is, in fact, bad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Trying to think of something that Stalin could do that would make him bad.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
he could sexually exploit someone in a subordinate position

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yukio Mishima trained an army of impressionable nerds to stage a homoerotic fantasy

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
G.K. Chesterton, J.R.R. Tolkien, Hilaire Belloc and others were known agents of a foreign power.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

Yukio Mishima trained an army of impressionable nerds to stage a homoerotic fantasy

yeah but that owned tho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like you idiots need to stop handwringing about awesome poo poo

Tricking a bunch of virgins to stage a cosplay revolution that ends in your own decapitation is radical and morally just

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like you idiots need to stop handwringing about awesome poo poo

Tricking a bunch of virgins to stage a cosplay revolution that ends in your own decapitation is radical and morally just

That poo poo was hilarious. The crowd below the balcony where he kidnapped the general of the defunct army thought he was doing a comedic publicity stunt. Then he had this long suicide note he planned on penning when his bowels were falling out. All he was able to write was the kanji for "sword," before his lover took 6 swings to lop off his head. Mishima was an excellent writer though.

In the spirit of this thread, he was sexually attracted to the torture and murder of young men, which is hosed up even if you don't act on it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

God Of Paradise posted:

In the spirit of this thread, he was sexually attracted to the torture and murder of young men, which is hosed up even if you don't act on it.

Dont kinkshame op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

God Of Paradise posted:

That poo poo was hilarious. The crowd below the balcony where he kidnapped the general of the defunct army thought he was doing a comedic publicity stunt. Then he had this long suicide note he planned on penning when his bowels were falling out. All he was able to write was the kanji for "sword," before his lover took 6 swings to lop off his head. Mishima was an excellent writer though.

There's a part in Temple of Dawn where a weird and clearly unsympathetic character shows up who's supposed to be a representative of another Japanese author (i forgot who) who has this entire fantasy world where young men get tortured to death and their memories worshipped by gross old men that I always took to mean that he thought those kinds of fetishes actually disgusted him if they became too literal or something.