Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Netman117
Sep 14, 2018
Ayn Rand followed her own philosophy and left her husband for somebody new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

There's a part in Temple of Dawn where a weird and clearly unsympathetic character shows up who's supposed to be a representative of another Japanese author (i forgot who) who has this entire fantasy world where young men get tortured to death and their memories worshipped by gross old men that I always took to mean that he thought those kinds of fetishes actually disgusted him if they became too literal or something.

As I recall that dude literally was speaking of Mishimas own aesthetics. Like, even down to the idea of dying when still young so beauty is preserved.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I recall that dude literally was speaking of Mishimas own aesthetics. Like, even down to the idea of dying when still young so beauty is preserved.

Was he pickled?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
mishima did nothing wrong

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Tree Goat posted:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:gibs:SWORDDDDD.....

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Goat posted:

He hosed up his sudoku poem.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, he was supposed to be a caricature of this guy i think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsuhiko_Shibusawa , I haven't read anything by him though but he translated de Sade, which makes sense in context. I think the point was that in the "land of the pomegranate" fiction of the character the eroticism had no real idealism and was just a fetish while Mishima clearly felt it wasn't complete without a political dimension

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Wheat Loaf posted:

G.K. Chesterton, J.R.R. Tolkien, Hilaire Belloc and others were known agents of a foreign power.

I suppose God is technically a foreign power.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Yukio Mishima trained an army of impressionable nerds to stage a homoerotic fantasy

Nerds? Excuse me but I've read some Mishima and I'm pretty certain every one of them would have been lithely muscled with magnificently hairy armpits and, ideally, illiterate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

With Chesterton that might be a veiled Christ reference. Everything might be with him, though. I'd want more data.

I seem to remember reading his opinions on how Jews could never be English, and should be forced to wear ethnic-specific clothing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

I seem to remember reading his opinions on how Jews could never be English, and should be forced to wear ethnic-specific clothing.

Chesterton definitely had some antisemitic views. He generally maintained a shred of plausible deniability about it in his own writings, but the magazine he ran published some really vile stuff, IIRC.

(He did consistently oppose the Nazis, but that really just goes to show that he was even more germanophobic than he was antisemitic.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 16, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magnus Manfist posted:

Nerds? Excuse me but I've read some Mishima and I'm pretty certain every one of them would have been lithely muscled with magnificently hairy armpits and, ideally, illiterate.

They look pretty dorky here. I'm pretty sure he recruited most of the tatenokai at various second rate universities around Tokyo. Morita, the guy on the left in this picture who committed suicide with him, was described as self serious and clumsy (which is why he couldn't actually decapitate the poor guy properly and instead just hewed on his neck and back a few times).

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

They look pretty dorky here. I'm pretty sure he recruited most of the tatenokai at various second rate universities around Tokyo. Morita, the guy on the left in this picture who committed suicide with him, was described as self serious and clumsy (which is why he couldn't actually decapitate the poor guy properly and instead just hewed on his neck and back a few times).

Ah man they are dorks. I always imagined Mishima surrounded by impeccably muscled youths, lecturing them on bushido and the sexiest ways to die in between bench press sets.

Pretty disappointed by this to be honest.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

didn't take ol' yukes for a chubbie chaser

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Netman117 posted:

Ayn Rand followed her own philosophy and left her husband for somebody new.

Iirc she pretty much controlled her husband - she made him wear a cowbell around the house to signal his coming and going so he wouldn't startle her. Also she was loving one of her acolytes which she rationalised as being totally logical, and 'convinced' (read: told) her husband and her husband's wife how totally logical it was. Very cultish. Later on, the guy she was loving pretty much said 'Yeah Ayn is old and used up no interest in that anymore' and Rand was distraught about it. Or so an unsympathetic article on her life I read years and years ago said.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tolkien's a bit of a mixed bag with racism.

There was some questionable stuff with how in Lotr there were a lot of non white races in his mythology working for Sauron (albeit, with the implication they were coerced), but there's letters out there where he professed his disgust with Hitler's racial policies. And I think even one where he called out apartheid. There is also a terrible quote by him though of where he said he designed Orcs to have Mongol-inspired features and he referred to those features as being ugly.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

There was some questionable stuff with how in Lotr there were a lot of non white races in his mythology working for Sauron (albeit, with the implication they were coerced), but there's letters out there where he professed his disgust with Hitler's racial policies. And I think even one where he called out apartheid. There is also a terrible quote by him though of where he said he designed Orcs to have Mongol-inspired features and he referred to those features as being ugly.

I thought that he liked Finns.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I am willing to consider Tolkein's uncomfortable racism a misguided representation of his time

Its the fact that everyone else continues to uncritically mime it thats the problem

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am willing to consider Tolkein's uncomfortable racism a misguided representation of his time

Its the fact that everyone else continues to uncritically mime it thats the problem

Oh yeah. It's telling that Tolkien himself eventually became uncomfortable with the seemingly innate evil of the orcs (how can free-willed beings be inherently evil?), but Gygax et al. never seem to have been bothered by it. It gets even more problematic due to the fusion of Tolkien tropes with Robert E. Howard tropes.

There was eventually a move away from that sort of thing in fantasy literature, but fantasy games have never really shed it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 17, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Silver2195 posted:

Oh yeah. It's telling that Tolkien himself eventually became uncomfortable with the seemingly innate evil of the orcs (how can free-willed beings be inherently evil?), but Gygax et al. never seem to have been bothered by it. It gets even more problematic due to the fusion of Tolkien tropes with Robert E. Howard tropes.

There was eventually a move away from that sort of thing in fantasy literature, but fantasy games have never really shed it.

Gotta kill something.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

porfiria posted:

Gotta kill something.

Eh. Even if you accept this, there's no inherent reason the "something" needs to be sapient but subhuman.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

come on its not like there is explicitly a race where the white and blonde haired ones are inherently good and the black skinned ones are inherently evil

*puts finger to ear piece*

Oh, I see

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the best part in the Lord of the Rings is in the tower next to the spider cave where the orcs are like, gently caress the bosses, lets loot this guy and pocket the goods. They may be inherently evil but theres some real revolutionary vigor amongst the orcs.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
small brain: the orcs are racist caricatures of black people and/or asians
big brain: the orcs are classist caricatures of the british servant class

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

small brain: the orcs are racist caricatures of black people and/or asians
big brain: the orcs are classist caricatures of the british servant class

why don't we hedge our bets and just say Indians then

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CountFosco posted:

I suppose God is technically a foreign power.

The only god they worshipped was the Pope. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Didn't Dr. Suess drive his wife to suicide or something

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Molybdenum posted:

Didn't Dr. Suess drive his wife to suicide or something

She made a hilariously inappropriate children's book with photos of small children firing various guns. It's called Do You Know What I'm Going to Do Next Saturday? I own a copy.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Piers Anthony wrote novels.

That's pretty much the worst crime of them all right there.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ginette Reno posted:

There was some questionable stuff with how in Lotr there were a lot of non white races in his mythology working for Sauron (albeit, with the implication they were coerced),

Yeah, the darker-skinned humans don't get any perspective or even speaking parts as far as I can recall, the only ones that show up in the books are extras marching in the bad guys' army -- but we do get a bit where one of the main characters is looking at a dead southerner and contemplating how this man had a life somewhere and wondering by what kind of force or trickery he had been made to fight on the wrong side. So, basically, Tolkien shows he thinks of those guys as, well, human beings. It's not as if he doesn't also show white people getting corrupted and turned to the bad side, anyway.

(The orcs are way more problematic and from Tolkiens' own writings we know he was aware of that himself as well.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

God Of Paradise posted:

Piers Anthony wrote novels.

That's pretty much the worst crime of them all right there.

I think his damned author's notes or whatever are possibly the very worst part.

(Yeah, I read a few of his things way back when.)

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/books/review/zachary-leader-life-saul-bellow.html

Lol

quote:

“Was I a man or was I a jerk?” Bellow inquired on his deathbed.

lmao

quote:

The sons’ humiliations climax with the oldest, Gregory’s, tumultuous speech at a luncheon after Bellow accepted the Nobel Prize. He announced, generously, that he finally realized his father loved him after all, but his father’s way of loving was to work so hard and single-mindedly. Bellow, rather than embrace his firstborn, walked in front of the crowd to his middle son, Adam, shook his hand, and said: “‘Thanks, kid, for not saying anything.’ And off he went, in a stretch limo, entourage at his side.”

Fantastic writer. Awful person.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah Saul Bellow was a notorious piece of poo poo

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

God Of Paradise posted:

She made a hilariously inappropriate children's book with photos of small children firing various guns. It's called Do You Know What I'm Going to Do Next Saturday? I own a copy.

Oh man, I just looked through that online, it has a hilariously stereotypical Italian chef w/ spaghetti and meatballs. What a time to be alive.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Cosby

Broke Keyfabe

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!
Well I guess today is the day where we find out Alice Walker thinks Jews control the KKK and are actually LizardPeople.

poo poo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

Well I guess today is the day where we find out Alice Walker thinks Jews control the KKK and are actually LizardPeople.

poo poo.

It's weird because she used to be married to a Jewish civil rights lawyer.

I guess they had a bad breakup.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just realized we haven't mentioned Byron yet in this thread. He's a particularly troubling case because he was and is admired to some extent because he was a terrible person rather than in spite of it.

I read a great recent article on Byron's awfulness, but I can't find it, so instead I'll link a very old one (by Harriet Beecher Stowe, no less): https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1869/09/the-true-story-of-lady-byrons-life/305445/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
plato had slaves and hosed children and nobody ever calls him out on it