Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is quite helpful, thank you very much. So it's not a good idea to make small 2x2 toilet rooms and dot them around your campus?

There's a 1gb patch being deployed to TPC, does anybody know where I can find the patch notes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
On several maps I feel like the game doesn't give you enough real estate to allow for decent pathfinding. I try to give a buffer in my academic rooms for extra equipment and general walking-around, but that gives me even less to work with for things like bathrooms and showers. I usually end up with a 3x3 or 3x4 bathroom in each building, and then have a shower by each dorm, maybe an extra if there's a far-away building. I never feel like I have enough space to make anything bigger.

Spiffinmoore is particularly bad about this. Your initial plot is small, with a small building -- and there are only four small-ish plots available total. And you start with two majors to support! And no money! I really hated that map and was happy to finally three-star it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah that tracks, especially since I was making cramped bathrooms with as many stalls as I could squeeze in there with barely enough space for a temp changer.

Does anyone else have the TPC music stuck in their head?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
From what I've seen, it's basically more that the number of stalls in a toilet doesn't need to be nearly as high as you'd assume, so long as you don't block pathing to them.

A minimum size toilet room where you also have doors everywhere possible on the opposite wall is probably OK because paths shouldn't intersect.
Similarly, a slightly larger toilet room (3x4) is almost definitely fine so long as you only put 3/4 stalls and you space them away from the door (and don't add things in the way).

I started from scratch on a campus and basically started with the bare minimum (2 stalls in a tiny room) and only started increasing the size once I was seeing more than a couple toilet needs on-screen at once (without any long event causing it). I was up to over 40 students and 10 staff before I needed to scale up past 5 stalls in a 3x5 room, and I didn't even add any extra bathrooms (although granted it was all in one building, separate buildings probably need an extra bathroom).

e: Also be aware that some of the objects can trigger interactions, like the dryer/sanitiser, which do interfere with pathing as well. I've started placing them outside of actual rooms in corridors and haven't seen any ill effects.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't played TPC, but as far as I remember, in TPH you can also place toilet stalls in the middle of the room, while sinks must be against the wall. So you can make an island of toilets and surround them with sinks. Maybe that helps pathing?

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I didn't really know how the pathfinding worked, so interesting to read that here. Time to make some adjustments to my campus :)

Torrannor posted:

There's a 1gb patch being deployed to TPC, does anybody know where I can find the patch notes?

Patch notes from Steam:

quote:

Release notes 1.4:

General
General Optimisation of behavior system
Sandbox Mode now unlocks after achieving 1 star in Freshleigh
Course management is now disabled in the first year of the tutorial
Improvements to Sandbox create new save UI
Training room improvements: Janitors no longer count towards room capacity
Teachers can now train while janitors are repairing the pod.
Room Capacity warning is now at 100%, rather than 90%
Improvements to subtitles
Improved some of the Chinese translations

Bug Fixes
Item placement improvements and bug fixing
General Stability Improvements
Update the icon for when there is a queue for a room, and the icon for when the room is at capacity to be more intuitive.
Updated messaging when you have an item on the cursor that should be placed outside if trying to place it inside
Internet History bookcase is now awarded during the Career. If you are past the point where it gets awarded, you should now have it available in the Library items list.
You can now rename stuff, students and rooms with a controller
Fixed a bug where it wasn't possible to scroll down correctly in the items info tab
Fixed a bug where it wasn't possible to change the name of a custom Sandbox (we have found another bug with this that we will be fixing!)
Fixed missing item rotation keybind
Gig visitors no longer count towards room capacity
Fix for "arrival points blocked" error on Nobelstead
Add toggle in settings to disable controller input on PC (we are still investigating the cause of the issues around controllers on PC)
Fixed a bug where photomode short key (6) was not triggering photomode
On using controller when browsing the staff list the north button now pick's up staff
Improved messaging when you have an item on the cursor that should be placed outside
Fixed Typo in finance screens in English
Fix for being unable to launch game if your current system date format culture is one not supported by the current log file string format
Fixed a bug where pressing back without accepting the safe area setting still applies the changed setting in-game.
Fixed a bug where the room build menu's subtract button was disabled but you could still go into bulldoze mode.
Fixed a bug where the button prompts in the timetable menu were not disappearing after the lesson/event inspector was opened.
Fixed an issue with the framerate limiter
Fix exploit where you could copy Artifact items in Sandbox
Fixed a bug when on returning to Mitton from later in the game, you didn't get applicants with all types of qualifications
Fixed Delete and Cancel operation when moving existing procedural items
Fixed keyboard shortcuts being fired when editing text.
Fix high FPS breaking Pan Camera tutorial objective
Fixed copied scenario rooms not deducting base tile cost.
Fixed weird behavior with play/fast forward buttons
Fixed changing teacher job assignment not updating next years timetable
Single fence / hedge posts are now selectable.
Fix for crash when signing in to Two Point County in Traditional Chinese
Fix for being unable to place items in Nobelstead occasionally
Potential fix for some players who are having issues with saving their game
Fix for rotate item tutorial showing WW instead of Z and X
Fix for crash on Mac if VSYNC is turned on. If you experienced this crash please see pinned post in bug forum
Fix for students sometimes not going on to to duelling stage in the Spell Room
Fixed issue with the Podium in Student Union that was making it hard to place down
Fix for Mole not being spawned in Bludergrad

We have more on the way, so please continue to report any issues you find in the Bugs section of the Steam forum!

[edit]
Noticed some small bugs with the patch, mainly some button mapping that has reverted to the default. The UI scale was reset as well and favorite items were all gone too.

Zadda fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 25, 2022

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Probably good to add a disclaimer that I'm not a developer with them (although I did apply unsuccessfully before the game was announced :v:), but I've got experience with this sort of system in games so I'm making educated guesses at their approach based on their behaviour. It could be that the system they wrote is actually much more intelligent (but bugged/badly tuned/other systems are interfering with it/etc), in which case a bug-fix update could well fix the issues and make my suggestions obsolete.

nielsm posted:

I haven't played TPC, but as far as I remember, in TPH you can also place toilet stalls in the middle of the room, while sinks must be against the wall. So you can make an island of toilets and surround them with sinks. Maybe that helps pathing?

I ran a quick test of this and it can help, especially if you can have 2 doors north/west and 2 doors south/east so the paths don't collide. But it raises the size of the room anyway because you need a gap around the toilet stalls anyway, so for a 2x2 block of stalls you'd need a minimum 4x4 room, whereas you can do 4 toilets with 2 spaces in front of them in a 4x3 room.

But like I said before, you actually need a surprisingly low number of toilets anyway so really anything will do so long as you have multiple entrances and don't point stalls at each other.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I don't want a bunch of doors though!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't want a bunch of doors though!

Just lol if you're not entirely building toilet blocks from floor-to-ceiling glass windows

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is it just me or does TPC not have a staff screen where you can easily scan and assign/remove permissions to do jobs to everyone like you could in TPH? The only way I've found it to go to each staff member individually.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Red Mike posted:

I'd be up for a golf club simulator in the vein of Sid Meier's SimGolf.

orcane posted:

This but with a resolution higher than 800x600, please :suicide:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would fit well with the series' sense of humour and usual targets of satire, too. Being able to play your own courses too would fit right in.

skooma512 posted:

Aww yeah Simgolf. It's such a chill game to play.

Pro tip: Windows XP on a Virtualbox VM will run the game with no extra tweaks, just install, put on whatever no-cd crack came with it, and play.

Even the music (the best part of SG) would fit right in with Two Point.

For the folks looking for golf, it's not quite the same but Golftopia does exist. You can make a classical course or something right out of a custom Golf With Your Friends map that emulates pinball. it includes playing on your own course.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Is it just me, or are blueprints not that useful? Buildings vary so much in size and layout that any blueprint I use is either too big or too small. And when they're too big, I can't just plop it down and then edit it into the right size. It's frustrating and I'm sure I'm missing something that will make me feel very dumb.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Radiation Cow posted:

Is it just me, or are blueprints not that useful? Buildings vary so much in size and layout that any blueprint I use is either too big or too small. And when they're too big, I can't just plop it down and then edit it into the right size. It's frustrating and I'm sure I'm missing something that will make me feel very dumb.

You can make buildings bigger to fit in larger room by clicking the Edit button with the building selected.

Otherwise for the most part I had a smaller cheaper template of most rooms to use in the early game when money is tight and a more expensive & larger template of the same room for when I'm swimming in cash in the late game (since I'm lazy I just delete the cheap room and replace it with said expensive room template).

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Fanatic posted:

You can make buildings bigger to fit in larger room by clicking the Edit button with the building selected.

Well, that blew my mind. Thanks! This will make plonking down the billionth student lounge so much nicer.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can also just copy whole-rear end buildings. When you buy new plots just choose the blank slate option and plop down a copy (if it fits in the lot size/shape).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If anyone has tips for upper etching I'd be happy to hear them, it's giving me a lot of trouble.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand it's annoying that templates are a bit worthless this time around, on the other I very much am in favour of the fact that they've worked hard to make sure that each campus is different enough that you can't just cookie cutter your way through them.

e: low key top tip: people don't do jobs between academic years, but they will look after their own needs. Take a couple of months out before mashing the start year button so everyone has time to sleep shower and eat.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 30, 2022

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

So as some people have found out there's the whole reduction in prestige from repeating posters. So anything past 2 and maybe 3 gives very diminishing returns.

What I just recently found out is that this also works for things that give learning and other assorted buffs. For instance after 3 Medicine cabinets they're worthless. Something to keep in mind when you're building rooms in the future at least.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Alchenar posted:

e: low key top tip: people don't do jobs between academic years, but they will look after their own needs. Take a couple of months out before mashing the start year button so everyone has time to sleep shower and eat.

It’s also the best time to complete happiness and attractiveness objectives as those tend to go to poo poo when the year starts :v:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Overall like the campus out of the package more than hospital, although map where the goal is to "make X millions of money and get at least Y graduates out of Z different programs, no other gimmicks" somewhere around campus 8-9 would not go amiss. I guess they reserved it for the last scenario?

EDIT: As it turns out the campus no. 10 is exactly that; I was running thin on patience with the Blundergrad map just before it, because the place looks miserable, the gimmick requires micromanagement, and the agent school classrooms are more awkward than usual, and it has no synergy with the other major you are forced to start with. Also the 3-star tier throws a curve ball expecting that you have invested course credits on the culinary school, not on the agent school which was the map's theme.

Only map I haven't 3-stared as a straight run from start to finish.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hah, also map 11 is all about making money by keeping the students happy. So my bad then, although I still maintain that Blundergrad is the low point of the current campaign. Micromanagement-heavy gimmick, ugly, depressing looking map, no synergy between the majors that are forced upon you, and tier objectives that give a whiplash unless you know what they are.

When you are already kinda fed up with that map and learn that you have to grind 7 extra campus levels to upgrade culinary school to the level where you can have celebrity showdowns, its not nice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't think this is a game you can mainline. I'm similarly on map 10 and just burnt out on having to shuffle rooms around as I expand the campus. Time for a break.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alchenar posted:

I don't think this is a game you can mainline. I'm similarly on map 10 and just burnt out on having to shuffle rooms around as I expand the campus. Time for a break.

It's funny. I haven't gotten around to Campus yet, but I was absolutely having a blast with the main game of Hospital - I mainlined that one hard. But when the DLC rolled around, I just couldn't get into it the same way. I wonder what the reason is, and if Campus will be the same as the Hospital DLC.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I'm stuck in the Spiffinmore map. My students are just too stupid! How do I attract smarter students?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

I'm stuck in the Spiffinmore map. My students are just too stupid! How do I attract smarter students?

so far my answer to everything has been training up my teachers. You can also level up your course but lower the amount of students you take in. That'll boost their learning.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Yeah in those later levels I had like 3-5 level 3 training rooms training up staff (which is probably overkill but it worked). For teachers I leveled up their core skill as well as inspirational speech (IS), and I had designated tutors trained in high tuition + IS. Also useful is having designated librarian assistants with high library skill.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I actually found the last map to be also a bit of a lackluster, although I have only 1-starred it at the moment.

All of the space is open from the get-go, and the objectives for 1 and 2-starring the scenario are rather... conservative. You'd expect that in this type of game the last scenario would be to build "all programs"-university with a hefty profit margin and student happiness. It also seems smaller than the theoretical maximum space given on other maps.

Although yes, I posted this before unlocking the 3-star tier so who knows.

Honestly it seems that this was the first map ever made and used on the tech demos, just given to you as a small-medium sand lot to play around, not as a capstone challenge.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

Wizardry and Dark Arts (IIRC) are hard difficulty majors. You need to have leveled up teachers to get their grades up. Have a good library with the major's bookcases.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I did it! They finally got their grades. Now to fill every free spot with tons of flowers and random stuff to get the next star.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Top tip: In the campus finance data and charts, there is a buried setting that says "automatically check staff salary" or so. By putting it to "disabled" you no longer automatically dish out raises when someone completes a course or has been with the uni for another year. This becomes important in the latter maps with "make X dollars in a month"-objectives.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's weird how some of the administration stuff is actively worse. Why do I have to assign/unassign jobs individually for every staff member?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Top tip: In the campus finance data and charts, there is a buried setting that says "automatically check staff salary" or so. By putting it to "disabled" you no longer automatically dish out raises when someone completes a course or has been with the uni for another year. This becomes important in the latter maps with "make X dollars in a month"-objectives.

In IIRC the same menu, in the staff menu you can set the threshold for staff to go fill their needs and the default is too low IMO. I set it to 50%.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's weird how some of the administration stuff is actively worse. Why do I have to assign/unassign jobs individually for every staff member?

Maybe it was too difficult with so many courses available, but still it seems weird. It's possible that they had to make all versions of the game similar enough and the Switch version kept this option out.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So I 36/36 starred this game today, and I still like it more than hospital, with the caveat "no DLC or little to no balancing patches". Unless they really screw it up with DLC and related patching, this is better game than hospital, if for nothing else than for the ability to make your own buildings instead of just rooms.

When the "make custom course schedules" unlocks I think I will find this more interesting, especially sandboxing the few achievements I missed.

However, I still have to mention that the last map is a bit of a let-down; it isn't really a capstone project, its more "make something nice" that isn't actually that difficult to achieve; the only thing messing with me was that 100k/month income, but discovering that "turn off auto raises" and replacing most of the older faculty that got ridiculous salaries considering their skills sorted it out within one year. And the last map isn't even that large; there are at least three university maps that have more ground you can cover.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Two maps away from beating the game with 36/36 stars. I don't think I've ever finished a management games campaign since Evil Genius 1 so kudosh to Two Point studios for that.

Seems most of the challenge is in the beginning of a map when you don't have money to spare. Now that I have layouts the building itself is becoming more rote, I just flop down some good layouts I've built up over time. This is fine though it would be tedious making a 10 bed dorm over and over. Once I get into my third year I usually have enough students and rent to overcome expenses and then focus on the objectives.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I've been playing in the sandbox with the intention to make that "all majors"-university at the Mitton Uni. map, and it seems like it is right now quite difficult to pull off.

I am 4 majors short of achieving the goal and while there is enough space for the missing rooms when running all programs on lvl1 with intake of 10, there seems to be a hard cap on the amount of staff you can hire. Right now the problem is grinding the missing ~120 campus points with level ups since there is no way to get them anywhere else.

I need to investigate further and make some calculations if I can circumvent this with double-major teachers, but the locked down scheduling will make this difficult.

Koshne
Apr 22, 2008
New patch today adds the most requested feature so far with being able to bulk assign job assignments:

Also a bunch of new items and bug fixes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1649080/view/3315235636204897795

Two Point Campus 1.5 patch

Release Notes:
Build: 1.5.111944
General/New
Release Notes:
Build: 1.5.111944
General/New
New UI: Job Assignment Screen
Updated UI: Added text search to student and staff lists
Customisation: New paths and new extendable flower bed
Customisation: You can now customise extendable items! We've added this functionality on the wooden fence and will be adding it to more items in the future!
New items: See saw, mini golf, mini radiators, mini air conditioning
Added temperature filter to the item menus

Bug Fixing
General stability improvements
Balance adjustments for satisfying of needs
Students are more likely to prioritise satisfying needs over other activities when needs are low
Students try to satisfy needs nearby when waiting in the queue for a room
Fix for sandbox plot merging issues which was causing spawning issues with students in sandbox (when unlock all plots is selected as an option or Creative Mode is selected).
Fix for Campus events being selected when editing event settings
Fix for Campus Overview sometimes not showing information
Fix for template button prompts being incorrect when in placement mode
Fix for closed event rooms being removed from the timetable
Fix area of Blundergrad where it wasn't possible to place items
Added more specific messaging in blueprint build mode when buildings or rooms are not completable due to being unreachable
Fixed a bug where having plots unlocked in Sandbox options would subtract the value of those plots from your balance on game start
Room customisations can now be applied to all rooms and will carry over to newly placed rooms of that type
Fixed end of year awards being given when closing countdown message
Slightly reduced lecture seating nav bounds to reduce placement and reachability issues
Fixed missing SFX on customisation apply button
Fixed missing controller bindings for the switch profile input action
Added additional UI support for favourite student feature on the students list
Added dedicated invalid build position message for outdoor rooms not being built outdoors
Prevented dig site door being placed in 1 tile corridors in blueprint mode
Fixed issue with temperature items not always working with merged plots
Fixed typos in Blundergrad 3 star letter and Noblestead 2 star letter
Fix for it being difficult to select some fence posts
Fixed timetable objectives being read from the wrong timetable when in summer break
Fixed missing item error in the room inspector not updating when item is placed
Fixed training menu gamepad scroll not working when the first item is expanded in a long list
Fix for modifiers not being applied when upgrading the training pod
Shrink nav bounds of big floodlight pole so they don't overlap the insides of buildings
Fixed item/room tooltips going out of the screen bounds
Prevented dig site door item placement directly opposite dig site wall to fix nav access issues when floor is lowered
Removed photo mode keyboard shortcut
Updated UI: Added text search to student and staff lists
Customisation: New paths and new extendable flower bed
Customisation: You can now customise extendable items! We've added this functionality on the wooden fence and will be adding it to more items in the future!
New items: See saw, mini golf, mini radiators, mini air conditioning
Added temperature filter to the item menus

Bug Fixing
General stability improvements
Balance adjustments for satisfying of needs
Students are more likely to prioritise satisfying needs over other activities when needs are low
Students try to satisfy needs nearby when waiting in the queue for a room
Fix for sandbox plot merging issues which was causing spawning issues with students in sandbox (when unlock all plots is selected as an option or Creative Mode is selected).
Fix for Campus events being selected when editing event settings
Fix for Campus Overview sometimes not showing information
Fix for template button prompts being incorrect when in placement mode
Fix for closed event rooms being removed from the timetable
Fix area of Blundergrad where it wasn't possible to place items
Added more specific messaging in blueprint build mode when buildings or rooms are not completable due to being unreachable
Fixed a bug where having plots unlocked in Sandbox options would subtract the value of those plots from your balance on game start
Room customisations can now be applied to all rooms and will carry over to newly placed rooms of that type
Fixed end of year awards being given when closing countdown message
Slightly reduced lecture seating nav bounds to reduce placement and reachability issues
Fixed missing SFX on customisation apply button
Fixed missing controller bindings for the switch profile input action
Added additional UI support for favourite student feature on the students list
Added dedicated invalid build position message for outdoor rooms not being built outdoors
Prevented dig site door being placed in 1 tile corridors in blueprint mode
Fixed issue with temperature items not always working with merged plots
Fixed typos in Blundergrad 3 star letter and Noblestead 2 star letter
Fix for it being difficult to select some fence posts
Fixed timetable objectives being read from the wrong timetable when in summer break
Fixed missing item error in the room inspector not updating when item is placed
Fixed training menu gamepad scroll not working when the first item is expanded in a long list
Fix for modifiers not being applied when upgrading the training pod
Shrink nav bounds of big floodlight pole so they don't overlap the insides of buildings
Fixed item/room tooltips going out of the screen bounds
Prevented dig site door item placement directly opposite dig site wall to fix nav access issues when floor is lowered
Removed photo mode keyboard shortcut

Some new items too! Emphasis mine on what excites me the most about the patch. I had taken Pinstar's advice and just stopped making medical and pastoral support rooms because the maluses can be overcome and they're counter productive giving how queue students are solely engaged in queuing.

I beat this game last week though

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well,

don't know what I proved but here: https://imgur.com/gallery/5uQcatk

Mitton University, campus with all possible programs, intake to all 8 to keep the amount of major-specific rooms down. Would have been much easier had I known that career mode does not unlock sandbox items; adding the last four programs was just running staff training 24/7 and adding extra staff rooms, bathrooms and showers to all buildings and adding more student accommodation to drive the campus level up without going over staff cap, or running out of space. Also, the program gradings are kinda crappy, B-something on Hard and A or A+ on rest so this isn't actually that great university on the game's metrics, and there realistically are too few campus points left to make any meaningful upgrades anymore. Or the grind to get them needs to be much more than what I will tolerate.

Anyway, while this is technically possible to do, the game is also bursting at seams: characters just randomly get that red question mark saying that they are lost, and after running in circles for a while that resolves. I also had to reset the student union near the end, as one of the bands left their stuff onstage and the game just flagged the stage unavailable. I also got 2-3 crashes towards the end, every time when I clicked student dormitory. Definitely designed more for tall than wide build.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I dunno, that seems pretty accurate. I had two buildings on my university campus that were absolute mazes, and people regularly got lost in.