Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Two Point Resort? Hotels, golf courses, spas, waterpark etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Overall like the campus out of the package more than hospital, although map where the goal is to "make X millions of money and get at least Y graduates out of Z different programs, no other gimmicks" somewhere around campus 8-9 would not go amiss. I guess they reserved it for the last scenario?

EDIT: As it turns out the campus no. 10 is exactly that; I was running thin on patience with the Blundergrad map just before it, because the place looks miserable, the gimmick requires micromanagement, and the agent school classrooms are more awkward than usual, and it has no synergy with the other major you are forced to start with. Also the 3-star tier throws a curve ball expecting that you have invested course credits on the culinary school, not on the agent school which was the map's theme.

Only map I haven't 3-stared as a straight run from start to finish.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 3, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hah, also map 11 is all about making money by keeping the students happy. So my bad then, although I still maintain that Blundergrad is the low point of the current campaign. Micromanagement-heavy gimmick, ugly, depressing looking map, no synergy between the majors that are forced upon you, and tier objectives that give a whiplash unless you know what they are.

When you are already kinda fed up with that map and learn that you have to grind 7 extra campus levels to upgrade culinary school to the level where you can have celebrity showdowns, its not nice.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I actually found the last map to be also a bit of a lackluster, although I have only 1-starred it at the moment.

All of the space is open from the get-go, and the objectives for 1 and 2-starring the scenario are rather... conservative. You'd expect that in this type of game the last scenario would be to build "all programs"-university with a hefty profit margin and student happiness. It also seems smaller than the theoretical maximum space given on other maps.

Although yes, I posted this before unlocking the 3-star tier so who knows.

Honestly it seems that this was the first map ever made and used on the tech demos, just given to you as a small-medium sand lot to play around, not as a capstone challenge.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Top tip: In the campus finance data and charts, there is a buried setting that says "automatically check staff salary" or so. By putting it to "disabled" you no longer automatically dish out raises when someone completes a course or has been with the uni for another year. This becomes important in the latter maps with "make X dollars in a month"-objectives.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So I 36/36 starred this game today, and I still like it more than hospital, with the caveat "no DLC or little to no balancing patches". Unless they really screw it up with DLC and related patching, this is better game than hospital, if for nothing else than for the ability to make your own buildings instead of just rooms.

When the "make custom course schedules" unlocks I think I will find this more interesting, especially sandboxing the few achievements I missed.

However, I still have to mention that the last map is a bit of a let-down; it isn't really a capstone project, its more "make something nice" that isn't actually that difficult to achieve; the only thing messing with me was that 100k/month income, but discovering that "turn off auto raises" and replacing most of the older faculty that got ridiculous salaries considering their skills sorted it out within one year. And the last map isn't even that large; there are at least three university maps that have more ground you can cover.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I've been playing in the sandbox with the intention to make that "all majors"-university at the Mitton Uni. map, and it seems like it is right now quite difficult to pull off.

I am 4 majors short of achieving the goal and while there is enough space for the missing rooms when running all programs on lvl1 with intake of 10, there seems to be a hard cap on the amount of staff you can hire. Right now the problem is grinding the missing ~120 campus points with level ups since there is no way to get them anywhere else.

I need to investigate further and make some calculations if I can circumvent this with double-major teachers, but the locked down scheduling will make this difficult.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well,

don't know what I proved but here: https://imgur.com/gallery/5uQcatk

Mitton University, campus with all possible programs, intake to all 8 to keep the amount of major-specific rooms down. Would have been much easier had I known that career mode does not unlock sandbox items; adding the last four programs was just running staff training 24/7 and adding extra staff rooms, bathrooms and showers to all buildings and adding more student accommodation to drive the campus level up without going over staff cap, or running out of space. Also, the program gradings are kinda crappy, B-something on Hard and A or A+ on rest so this isn't actually that great university on the game's metrics, and there realistically are too few campus points left to make any meaningful upgrades anymore. Or the grind to get them needs to be much more than what I will tolerate.

Anyway, while this is technically possible to do, the game is also bursting at seams: characters just randomly get that red question mark saying that they are lost, and after running in circles for a while that resolves. I also had to reset the student union near the end, as one of the bands left their stuff onstage and the game just flagged the stage unavailable. I also got 2-3 crashes towards the end, every time when I clicked student dormitory. Definitely designed more for tall than wide build.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 2, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Anyone yet to take the new DLC for a test drive? I have it in my library but haven't had the drive to drop everything else for a week for it yet.

I also bought the Hospital DLC with the ambulances at the same time, is it any good?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Been playing the Space DLC and all three maps are proper "build a campus"-maps with few gimmicks. I haven't really started the last one yet, just visited it once, though. The first one is really easy, on the second the biggest problem by far is constantly running out of room.

And I like it quite much; especially the second map where you build a starfleet academy that also is a jedi school.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tunzie posted:

The last map gave me some trouble since you’re essentially capped on new students per year and thus annual income from student fees. Took me a while to resource it out the way I needed (particularly with trained staff) without going broke. Kinda challenging!

3-staring that map took me 14 academy years; it definitely needs the "no raises unless given manually" toggled, and don't forget for the 3rd star that you also get a learning bonus out of inspire-skill, and by running a marketing campaign and then just not taking anything more than the 25, or what is still required, because having extra pool of applicants drives that number up.

Oh and do not under any circumstances buy out map segments that you do no need, and turn off the "mine asteroids" job from all mechanics that aren't specifically hired to do that. The constant barrage of asteroids makes the maintenance guys just run around in circles chasing them, and forget to do their other tasks. If you don't unlock extra map segments they at least are nearby.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pre-ordered.

Although I think its a bit worrisome that they are releasing a mini-DLC instead of normal DLC pack. It could mean that they need to pad their cashflow and that isn't a good sign even in the best of days, especially for studio such niche-oriented as this.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Just played through that mini-DLC; the added map and its gimmick was nice, but the DLC really could have used at least second map as the other new major was really underutilized. There was also really odd choice that ghost studies didn't have any synergy with either of the magic majors but you do need a fully equipped computer classroom, which I found funny.

Also as for the map objectives, at least this time there wasn't a whiplash on the 3-starring, so you can safely put all investments to the ghostbusting major.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that regarding the power grading of how much damage your students do, quantity is the king. This isn't explained anywhere, actually some help texts even imply quality over quantity, but unlike for example the cheeseball or cooking competitions its not exactly about how high quality your top level students are, the bigger factor by far is how many students you can bring to the fight.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

What I think they are experiencing "the campus DLC isn't selling enough so we had to recycle assets to make another major DLC".

Which is sad as it indicates that there might be some issues keeping the Two Point franchise afloat.