Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

How many bloody GP offices do you need later on? In Theme Hospital, each room had a separate queue so I simply built more on the diagnostic path and patients tended to go along with it.

Here, every room of the same type shares the same queue so patients run around from one end of the hospital to the other if I do that because the first free GP is the one in building B and then the other patient that was in front of building B GP now gets called by building A and rooms spend half their time waiting for patients and :argh:

Is there a setting I missed perchance?

(Also I hate monobeasts. Probably the only gameplay element from Theme Hospital that I would excise)

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Spacedad posted:

Anyone have any tips they found work well for stopping the clogged queues of general practitioners? I have like 4-6 of them at a time sometimes and patients keep getting backlogged and dying.

Put down more.
No, even more.
Keep going.
Getting close.
Ok, now it's enough.

My last level I had 10 GPs down with negligible queues, demolished one for space to get a general diagnosis down to unclog that, and by the time I got the third star the 9 remaining GPs were starting to get overcrowded.
~134 patients total, and they were getting processed at a sensible* pace.

*that is, wasting about 30 ingame days between every room they visited for pit stops at vending machines and toilets.

I think the rule of thumb needs to be measured against the reception. One reception at full tilt can admit enough patients for 3.5 GP offices, 1 general diagnosis and 1 cardio can handle the patients from about 3 GPs (everybody can get sent into those) and then depends on what kind of patients the level sends you.
Thinking about it, the reception is probably the best place to have a queue because the resulting traffic jam can't gently caress up the rest of the patients already inside.

Don't build things until you actually need them (e.g. my last level had 0 psychiatry needs) and the level gimmick is going to get hit hard; as an example, I needed 5 surgery wards in the level where they unlocked and frankly I'd have loved the space for a sixth.

Oh, and god help you if you do marketing for a specific illness with even a mediocre marketer. You'll need 5 or 6 relevant treatment rooms to handle the influx if it's a simple treatment.

How are you guys setting up your wards and fracture wards? Because the stated minimum size is a dirty lie giving you a completely useless room.

E: and I'd love some RollerCoaster Tycoon style options to tell my janitors that they're in charge of this or that building and to never get out of there when on the job.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 1, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

90% staff happiness for a 3-star.

HOW?

Fuckers naturally drop to empty hunger, thirst and toilet over the course of their shift and there's basically nothing you can do about it. I've tried sticking coffee makers and sweet dispensers in the room; half of the time they don't bother using it.
E: I fiddled with the break settings so everyone can go on break whenever but I think low stamina is the only trigger for a break.

Am I supposed to get all the other goals and then crank their pay into the stratosphere? I mean, it would be peak capitalism. :capitalism:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In the end the secret to success wasn't bribing my lovely employees to make them happy but firing people starting with the most miserable person on the list then hiring their replacements. Let that be a lesson - the beatings really will continue until moral improves; and I'll beat your rear end straight out the nearest door if I have to! :hai:

I can't believe this actually worked.
:capitalism:

E: actually I can. Thanks for the tip.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My kingdom for a chance to replace skills. Come on doc, just forget how to use an MRI

After getting 3* on a level I decided to stay around and see if I could get the surgery V and psychiatry V kudosh.

I have decided that the only sane way to do that is to kneecap yourself because surgery/psychiatry give nowhere near enough experience per minute even at full tilt, so you have to stick your surgeon/psych in the GP office because that's where the most XP is.

However, when I decided this wasn't happening I had three receptions with a total queue of about 80 and about 10 GP office with 7 patients each. At +100% price. Because apparently the hospital was so good that naked theft was overlooked and my reputation stayed at cap.
:psyduck:

I want a send everyone home button for these situations.

Oh, and half the patients still required another diagnosis room even with GP 4 consultants and GP 5 senior consultants.
Game really needs reduced patient influx.

E: I'm not fully sure mega-scans are worth it compared to sticking your radiology doc into an X-ray and building more x-rays.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

L0VE posted:

It's just a shame that the current rate of patients is way too high and prestige too easy to get. Having too many patients is only a problem if they die before they can pay you enough to keep things running. Having mountains of dead littering the hospital grounds will in no way impact your hospitals reputation, patients are more than willing to die of preventable diseases for a chance to see that great looking fountain in the reception area.

:agreed:
Reputation is way too easy to obtain and maintain and patient influx is way too high. This makes floor space the most valuable resource there is because nothing is going to match sheer number of rooms for handling the barbarian hordes assaulting your hospital.

It doesn't help that patients are braindead morons. I often catch some idiot in a GP queue in the opposite building from where he should be, in a staff room only area of the hospital, because he was thirsty.
Note: every building has two drink machines and two snack machines already.

Of course, by the time he crossed all the hospital the people before him got processed so now everyone has to wait for the moron while he treks back through all the buildings again.
Slowly of course, because his morale cratered by being thirsty for the month it took him to reach the drinks machine.

E: and let's not talk about toilets. At least I can designate those as staff only in areas where patients should never be.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some numbers to underscore how important specialization is:

Student doctors (and first tier nurses I don't remember the title) have 80% diagnosis power.
They gain 10% per star, so senior consultants and head nurses have 120% diagnosis.
A GP 2 junior doctor has 90% innate and +30% from his skills, for a total of 120%; I don't remember comparative salaries but it has to be less than half.

A GP V senior has 120% innate and 75% from skills, for an insane 195% to diagnosis power. Keep in mind I've seen patients coming out of a first visit from a GP 5 senior with only half diagnosis done. You NEED that 2x modifier in your GP offices.
Hyper-specialize your staff, because unlike in Theme Hospital consultants are loving useless on their own, only skill slots have value.

njsykora posted:

Speaking of wards I was watching some Youtube videos to learn some hospital strats and learned the ways of the Really Big Ward and I now need to take this knowledge to Tumble.
Links and/or screenshots? Ward / fracture ward are rooms I struggle with.

Fans posted:

They even change back into their own clothes first. Very polite.

It is a British game after all.
Game is British, right? Roads are left-drive, in the public hospital level you're getting your orders from a Lord because of course you are and the humor feels very British.

Hakkesshu posted:

Didn't someone earlier point out that you can reduce visitor congestion by raising the prices? I haven't tried it myself.

It works, although by the end-game stage of a level even +100% prices don't matter; dehumanize yourself and face to ...
pretend I made a good decent serviceable wordplay on bloodshed and queues.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nigel Bigglseworth (somewhat paraphrased):
"A listener has accused me of lying by declaring myself a sir when I'm not. Shame on you, as Nigel is just my middle name. Sir is my first name."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nielsm posted:

This is a kind of odd combination of traits?

Bored makes the entertainment bar of patients go down on interaction (make this a treatment nurse if possible and who cares, they're done).

Inspiring I think makes people energized, which is a temporary status giving +10% to all skills for staff and increased movement speed for everyone.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

njsykora posted:

People who build dedicated diagnosis and treatment wings, where do y'all generally put the ward/psychiatry/DNA lab since they can do both? I've generally been putting them in treatment but I'm starting to wonder if putting them with diagnosis might end up a bit more efficient.

Diagnosis. Diagnosis rooms have to stay close to a GP office; pure treatment rooms can be wherever, it's just that if you put them near diagnosis you're taking space that other diagnosis rooms need. When a room pulls double duty then put it into the diagnosis wing(s).

By the way, in later levels you absolutely won't have enough space in one or even two buildings for a full diagnosis/treatment wing; the rules I follow are:

rule zero) if you need to move a room move the room, patients can go get bent
1) try to stick identical rooms in the same building
2) if a building has diagnosis in it, stick a GP office there. If a GP or two can't fit, move something to another building
3) a couple vending machines in every building, a couple toilets, no benches, maybe some Sonic
3bis) patients are MORONS and will go for the closest toilet; closest as in direct line ignoring walls, not closest as in shortest path. Too bad they can't go through walls. Take this into account
4) cafes are a trap. Set them to staff only if you use them
4bis) no really what's the loving point of cafes, two vending machines have the same throughput and occupy far less space
5) goddamn why are patients complete morons

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 15, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torrannor posted:

I get the feeling that general diagnostics and cardio are a trap, in that they don't bring enough diagnostics percentages to be worthwhile. I think I will simply replace them with fluid analysis and x-rays and the like, to see if it helps.

Fully upgraded cardio and general diagnosis with a diagnostic 3 (or more) nurse absolutely pull their weight. Their advantage is that they have a reasonably quick diagnostic time, so easier patients get sent their way without clogging your x-ray/mega-scan/DNA lab.

Also some illnesses are strange, for example premature mummification gets diagnosed decently by psychiatry.

I mean, the patient with a max difficulty surgery or DNA illness is going to get like 5% from a cardio, but that guy get sent to high-tech diagnosis rooms first and an xray or megascan will ace those illnesses.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 16, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Man, 90% cure rate for Melt-downs is rough. I can't kick people out fast enough. Doesn't help that I have a massive queue at all levels of intake - probably need to just up my prices across the board and bring in fewer patients.

Kicking a patient drops the cure rate %.
It's still useful if you do it en masse because you drop a lot of patient dead weight and hopefully the 20 patients that get processed next in an emptier hospital give you the needed percentage.

EDIT as to not doublepost:

45th star get. The last level was not particularly difficult, the only problem was that expanding into new buildings cost an arm and a leg. However the buildings (including the starting one) were both quite big and with a reasonable shape (no random narrow hallways). Objectives were quite reasonable too (reputation, hospital value, cure rate, total patients cured).

Now, one of the two levels preceding, who thought it was a good idea? 95% staff happiness required (:psyduck: ) and the level has a map-wide 10% happiness debuff(:psyboom: ). "Solved" that one by saving (and disabling autosave) and firing everyone but a single staff member.
The second to last staff member with happiness at 89% was still making me fail the objective.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Worth noting when reading that chart, a Level 1 no-skill doctor has a 70% modifier, and so would get 70% diagnosis progress on Verbal Diarrhoea. Every level provides +10% as a default, and skills tell you how much they add, so a Consultant (Level 4) doctor would 100% Verbal Diarrhoea every time with no GP skills. A Level 2 Doctor with 2 levels of Diagnosis would also do it in one. A level 5 Doctor with GP Skill 5 would have 185% modifier and would instantly diagnose everything from Freudian Lips downwards.

I think it's influenced by the patient's illness difficulty though; more difficult variants of a disease are harder to diagnose.

I assume the chart is for machine with no upgrades, and while I can't back up the following assertions I feel the upgrade modifier is an independent one at 1.5x/2x depending on upgrade level.

If I'm right a Senior Consultant (120% base) with diag 4 (+40) and radiology (+20) in an X-Ray III room would diagnose at 360% the stated rate, before the illness difficulty modifier.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nielsm posted:

Upgrading rooms is annoying as well.

I have a minimum-size (3x5) Recurvery room that was easy to get up to level 5, with just a few servers and some cubist art plastered up. The Head Office next door, meanwhile, is stuck at level 4 and there isn't much room to fill in more junk. Some of these treatment rooms are really lacking in good decoration items.

Try gold certificates? Or did they nerf those?
At launch there was basically no room that couldn't be brought up to 5 with those.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ninjewtsu posted:

do you have multiple changing screens in the big ward? to my knowledge that's the big bottleneck

though i think the fact that only one person can pass through the door at a time is also a bottleneck. not sure if it takes a large size or not to reach that one though

The problem is that patients are morons (I feel like a broken record here, at least half my posts contain this phrase) and they'll head for the closest changing screen not caring for its queue, so you can have 5 patients waiting to use a single screen while the other three are empty.
EDIT: and every now and then a surgeon or nurse decides to change in the ward and make the delay even worse

You need to make sure there's a screen close to the ward entrance and then the other screens are closer to the beds than the one for the entrance, and beyond that there's nothing you can do about the entrance screen bottleneck.

E: although a massive fracture ward with 8 beds and two plasters takes care of everything for me.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ninjewtsu posted:

I definitely have my patients split up fairly evenly between my various changing screens though?

Maybe the patch fixed it, I got 3-stars everywhere before it came out.
At launch, all patients entering the ward would go for the changing screen closest to the door. Patients leaving beds would go for the screen closest to their bed.