Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The overworld map lets you go back to any previous hospital to what's basically a savestate of when you left it, and you can complete any remaining objectives. Up through the fourth map, the missions complete at 1-star, which has largely involved doing some tutorial stuff, like training 3 people or curing a specific illness a few times. Further stars are gained by continuing along those lines and increasing the value or prestige of your hospital, which is quicker when you go back after accessing new rooms or research.

So far, getting extra stars has unlocked upgrades to treatment and diagnosis machines, so they're a little quicker or cause fewer deaths, but they don't seem entirely necessary if you're looking to move on every time you 1-star an area.

Other than patients choosing benches seemingly at random and some fidgety pathfinding, this is 100% what your nostalgia remembers Theme Hospital to be, and really amazing. Being able to move entire rooms and retain their layout is so, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I've never played Theme Hospital so I'm kind of easing into this. I'm a bit confused about how training works. Not like, functionally, I get that, but like am I supposed to deliberately and drastically overstaff so I can rotate people in and out of training? Hell, how much should I be overstaffing in general to cover people on breaks?

Training and promotions are one of the least interesting things about this game to me, since you can't, say, assign pharmacy trained nurses to the pharmacy, and who could even tell if a 10% difference is working.

It doesn't hurt to hire some low wage temps while your main roster is in training. And in one of the staff menus you can dictate how many of each type are allowed to go on break at a time, to give you a rough estimate. Let 3/8 nurses go on break if you have 5 working rooms, etc.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

less than three posted:

You can, though! :eng101:

Staff > Job Assignment

Oof, I should have known, since I've been assigning my laziest janitors to plant-and-ghost-only duty for a while now. :ghost: Thanks.