Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
For areas of a hospital that aren't expected to have much traffic, or no patients coming through, I find I can get away with hallways a single tile wide. Though I do notice people have a tendency to bunch up at junctions as they run into each other.

For everything else 2 tiles is often enough and it still allows you to line the walls with benches and other amenities. I do find that, unlike in the original Theme Hospital, areas that I expect to be busy (clusters of GPs Offices, psychiatric rooms, popular clinics) it's often best to create smaller waiting areas where people can pool. Patients, for whatever reason, seem to like to jostle about and constantly get up and sit down so they need a lot of room to move about while still keeping a 'path' clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think Smogley was the first hospital that failed for me, entering a debt spiral I just could not escape while trying to focus just on the main objective. I think I had too many doctors on staff while hunting for surgeons and that ultimately bankrupted me because I didn't have enough other sources of income. Restarted and took a much slower approach, passed it with ease. It's also the first hospital where I learned that when I have massive backups at GP offices and can't expand then it's time to jack prices way up. Sucks more money out of the people in the hospital and causes your reputation to plunge which slows the rate of new arrivals.

I'm stuck on the publicly funded hospital now. It's quite frustrating. The useless doctors I have to hire to keep costs down and kept killing or failing the people I needed healed to meet one of the quota. The second I manage to get the necessary amount healed my average staff satisfaction dropped to 59% and that was the beginning of the end.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Omobono posted:

Am I supposed to get all the other goals and then crank their pay into the stratosphere? I mean, it would be peak capitalism. :capitalism:

This is what I tried, too. Just cranked their salary to as high as it would go in hopes of getting the first star so I could abandon the place before it went under.

Didn't work.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fans posted:

You can get your researchers to research cash for you if you're struggling. It's not that hard for them to do and with a few good researchers it's enough to keep you afloat while you work on the other objectives. Click the Research Room like you would a Ward an add in some optional slots, I didn't realise that only one would work there till you did that for ages!

I debated doing that but I couldn't tell if it would be a net positive for me or not, given the expense of just getting a lab up and running plus how long it takes to research something. I think I'll give it a shot when I'm ready to restart the level and see how it goes.

I also had to play around with the settings to figure out how to get multiple people to work in a room. I don't think the game ever explains it to you. Quite handy for large Wards and Fracture Wards as well since each patient needs to wait until a nurse is ready to personally tuck them in.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fans posted:

One handy thing is you can manually tell Janitors to restock machines or water plants when those objectives come up, just flag them like you would a machine. They're basically free money. If they want you to shoot Monobeasts just lift up a vending machine and put it back, then go to town on them.

Yeah, had some better luck the second time around. Gaming the public goals with selectively training staff and upgrading equipment while ordering janitors to over water plants and restock vending machines missing a single can really helps keep you afloat. At one point I was over $500,000. But this is a level where you really have to game the poo poo out of the system to even get a star. The marketing department really cam in handy with keeping both my reputation afloat even with a ~50% death rate, plus eventually having to use them to attract 8-bitten patients while kicking everyone else out of the hospital so people I didn't need stopped clogging the queues and causing excessive deaths.

In the end the secret to success wasn't bribing my lovely employees to make them happy but firing people starting with the most miserable person on the list then hiring their replacements. Let that be a lesson - the beatings really will continue until moral improves; and I'll beat your rear end straight out the nearest door if I have to! :hai:

Going to put that hospital down for a while now and hope the remaining levels don't have such grindy BS so I can enjoy the game again.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 3, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
My entire staff subsists off a diet of nothing but pop, coffee and chocolate. It's a wonder they haven't poo poo out all their internal organs yet or keeled over from heart attacks.

It would be nice if they were better at taking care of themselves. Everyone seems to have extreme difficulty fulfilling all their needs in a single break and it's not unusual just to have them meander around for a month solid accomplishing nothing. Going back to work just as miserable as when they went on break (floor space is valuable you assholes I'm not building yet another staff room and bathroom for you, walk faster!).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Nope - the GP skills go up to at least 3 and I'm pretty sure will go up to 5 if you keep at it. For pharmacy I don't know if there are higher levels, I think it's one of the few skills that tops out after only one or two. Psychiatry tops out after 2, then you have the oneoffs like happiness and stamina boosts, then the equipment skills.

Just apply treatment skills to the nurses you want working the pharmacy, they work just as well and apply to all their treatment rooms.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Pararoid posted:

What defines Treatment? Like is the Ward a Treatment?

Certain rooms can both diagnose and treat an illness - the Ward is one of them - and it depends on what the patient is doing in the room when determining what skills can apply. If a GP hasn't determined what's wrong with them and what treatment they need then they will go for further diagnoses and the diagnostic skills will apply. If they are going for treatment then the treatment skill applies. The Ward Management skill counts towards both diagnosing and treating a patient (whichever is applicable). Psychology is another that will apply towards both diagnosing and treating someone, off hand I can't recall any others though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Fires are unusual in earlier levels are are pretty much just caused by neglect - if something catches fire then you need more janitors to maintain poo poo. In later levels they'll be caused by certain disasters either by directly setting them on fire or by stressing an already overdue piece of equipment, though I don't think I've ever had anything explode yet so I don't know what happens if you get to that point.

I place extinguishers in each room for easy access (edit: also they count towards prestige so why not?). Something you will want to keep in mind is that extinguishers are single use only once one has been picked up it's gone forever, so don't forget to go back and replace them after each warning.

One very annoying thing that will happen when equipment catches fire is that everyone in the room will begin to freakout and do the 'cowering from a ghost' animation. Including any moron janitors already in the bloody room. Instead the game will dispatch another janitor to run over and extinguish the fire for you.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
When I jack prices up to try and control the influx of patients it will slowly begin to cause reputation to drop, but I think the wave of deaths and dissatisfied patients is what really hammers it in the end. I usually only raise them by 10-20% though or a lot of people start refusing to pay. That, and manually pushing out people you can't treat or are very near death, can help get a situation back under control. Just a lot of micromanaging.

Bulding a marketing department and having even one poorly trained assistant running constant marketing campaigns is usually enough to overcome the reputation hit that comes with increased prices. Healing more patients and a marked decrease in deaths can push it further from there.

It sounds like a lot of problems are caused by poor pathfindimg and people deciding to waste their own time wandering around, which in turn causes queues to jam up and keep everyone else waiting. Cafes in particular seem to invite death as you can easily get 15+ people from across the hospital waiting for a single person to serve them, wasting months of their life. I hope they get that fixed in coming patches. Fortunately I haven't run into any of the other show stopping bugs other are reporting.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Doctors trained specifically for GPs offices get restricted to them and all others banned once I've trained a tough of them. Same goes for diagnostic and treatment equipment. Takes a while to work up to that though.

I'll also do the same with nurses - some are trained just for wards. Other go for diagnosis or treatment.

None of that is strictly necessary but it does help when hospitals get crowded and you can't expand further.

This can get a bit hairy when you have rooms that can both diagnose and treat people but those are few enough it's not really an issue.

For janitors part of the issue seems to be they will bounce around the hospital taking care of tasks that queue up regardless of their vicinity to the task or any others tasks they have to take care of so they can (and will) walk back and forth across the hospital wasting a poo poo load of time. Sadly there is no way to restrict people to certain buildings so you just need to deal with it. Having a few set only to repair machines helps ensure maintenance at least is kept up to date.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ShriekingMarxist posted:

Just lost another hospital in Flemington before I could hit the 2 million value requirement for 2 stars. Everything goes great until I get to hospital level 17 or so and valuation 1.8 million is where I got up to, then the GP queue death spiral starts and I can never funnel enough people into treatment to get out of the hole and have to purge near-dead people constantly.

This time I got 4 doctors to GP 3 skill, plenty of diag rooms and all the food/drink/bathrooms I could cram in, and it still happens somewhere along the line.

Here's my failed hospital if anyone has critiques/pointers, I'd be open to them:

<snip>

I did a small sampling of the patients currently in queue for GP, all are new arrivals, or people bouncing back from 1 diagnosis room to get their treatment set up (diag is at 100%). I just... don't know what the gently caress to do or where I'm losing the thread. I have like, 15 GP rooms in this hospital and it's never enough to keep things moving.

The patients get VERY unhappy by not taking advantage of plentiful food/drink sources and their health craters. I feel like just as there was a problem with nurses not attending wards properly, the patients aren't seeing to their own god damned needs enough.

From just looking through the screenshots it looks like the hospital is super overstaffed; but at the same time there's multiple rooms that appear to be unused or missing staff members. Your two staff rooms are also empty. I honestly don't know what's going on...

The first thing I would to is jack prices up, like 20-30%, to help discourage more patients from coming in. Then, go through your roster and start culling extra staff. You could probably lose a few of everything without feeling too much pain; especially among assistants and janitors. Doctors also cost a fortune so pick a few with a useless mix of skills and make sure the rest are set to only staff positions they're strongest in so they can help clear queues faster. It looks like you have too many therapists since most of those rooms appear empty in your screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

nielsm posted:

Also, PYF clown clinic and cryptology rooms.

From a few days ago - but also wanted to give anyone trying this a belated FYI that each of those torches counts as a heat source. Handy for the colder climates but problematic for the warmer ones unless you like paying for ancient Egyptian air conditioners, too.