Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This game comes out on September 4th, just a few weeks away! I knew it was soon but not that soon -- it snuck up on me like a Liquid Metal Slime!. Been playing the DS remakes in preparation. I finished V in like 20 hours which is crazy, I thought it was a much longer game than it is. Final party:

Slime Knight is OP as hell. I recently found my copy of DQIV in a black & red Vans shoebox ftw. Going with the usual party of Hero/Alena/Maya/Kiryl. I'm at 20 hours now and just got my whole crew together so I guess this was the longer game I remember.. So anyway, talk about DQ in this thread, what's your favorite.. least fav.. new to the series? Don't be afraid, an epic adventure draws near! Vets? Let's see those rankings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Xbox Ambassador posted:

God this is my most anticipated game. Wish we were getting both versions though

I absolutely would've bought the 3ds version over them all, it's a drat shame

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

theyre adding voice acting and stuff to the western version at least. so its not like we just lose out

Ya, plus DQ8 has the best voice acting in all of videogame history imho. It's so loving good

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Sd9HP8njA

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

go to 42 seconds for my favourite voice acting in teh game lel

lmfao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This is still the greatest trophy screenshot I've ever gotten

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

update: my DQIV file is only at 10 hours, not 20.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

6 is the most difficult of the series because if you aren't focusing on certain jobs it makes the final boss incredibly hard and drat near impossible. Kinda bullshit since you only gain job xp from number of battles won and I like experimenting with the goofy classes. Everything up to that was fun though, every boss was beaten with like 1 party member alive.

7 was a real slog but it's notorious for being a long game so I kinda had to expect it. Still my least favorite DQ tho.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I started a file in DQVI now lol, I probably won't finish by the time this comes out

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Waiting 3 years to play the worst version of the game ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

8 is my favorite due to the voice acting and the small party. I have nothing against a big crew like in previous games but I prefer the core 4 with customizable builds. It also looks incredible on a crt setup

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

i got massive anxiety from my party options in dqv lol

Your kids are the strongest party members, then either your wife or a slime knight. I used to be real bad about this but I've gotten over it for the most part, especially in DQ since if you aren't laying out the dmg or heals you're getting benched kid.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm hyped and now I wanna make sure I finish Witcher before next week

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1 week!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

if I stall out on a game I always just restart it later

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hella jealous right now lol, enjoy you beautiful bastard

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

congrats

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I figured, but still, platting those games is hard as hell. Never finished the grind in 2

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Overall I think I liked the first game better for that very reason. You HAVE to collect/use monster medals to win most of the stages since it's got a tower defense kinda thing going. There's either none or very few of those levels in 2, which makes it more like a classic musou game but lessens the need for monster medals. Yangus is a beast in the first game as well

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

yea ok posted:

the grind in 2 is so ridiculous. 1's was a lot but never overbearing & the plat was fun to work towards. 2 is just wild

It's very similar to the Orochi 2 plat, which involves grinding weapon proficiency for all 200 characters which I did in 2009 while watching the entire series of Lost.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I left my PS4 on sleep mode last night and woke to fully installed DQXI. What a wonderful dream it must've had.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I wonder if Shypox works the same as Gaddabout where they'd sometimes not listen to your commands in battle

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

You going for a full Bastion run from the start?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

No Shopping sounds rough as hell

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

At least in the beginning until you start finding good weapons/recipes. Spending the first 5 or 6 hours with a Copper Sword? Yikes

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I always thought the Hero looked like he should be wearing a KoRn shirt so I made a new av, but which one should I use? Strap or Strapless?

vs.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

goferchan posted:

Top but send it through this guy for the finishing touches imo

I hope you're joking man.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

OKay Strapped it is then. I still gotta make a few tweaks but I'll do it tomorrow. It's gaming time

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

hell yeah

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Not really the same thing but that reminds me of my best friend getting scared watching Brave Little Toaster when Blankie got blown away, and my response was "but you know Martial Arts! You shouldn't be afraid of anything!" cos he was taking some silly karate class for 6 year olds

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Also waiting

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Played an hour or so, game seems real good so far. Some gamer tips: bump camera move speed to maximum, and set battle camera to Classic. The default camera is weird and you have full freedom of movement of your character, but I can't see why you'd want that (unless there's stuff later on that requires it obviously). The classic camera is much easier to tell what's happening in battle

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

enjoy PC bros

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The more I play of this the more No Shopping doesn't seem like it would be a problem

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The skill tree reminds me of the mantra grid from DDS2 which is my favorite skill tree ever

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

To no one's surprise, boomerangs are still excellent even if you aren't specced into them

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Professional Tip for those who may not know: you can swap weapons on the fly in combat, so you can use a boomerang/whip for big mobs, and swap the next turn for a higher dmg single target weapon.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nope, you can still act after swapping. Most DQ games of the past let you do this but I don't think many ppl know about it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

You can get really granular with your casters using the same strat but I usually just leave one as a pure healer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

I feel compelled to go all in on greatswords for my mc because drat does the game sell the power behind those. Really the animations here are astounding

I haven't tried greatswords yet but this has me interested (at least til I get my hands on a falcon blade)