Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

We're back, motherfuckers.

Picross (or nonograms, as they're more formally known) are a puzzle game from Japan where you fill out rows and columns to mark where squares are and form a little picture. It's...sort of like Minesweeper, if you were actively trying to find the mines and had a vague idea of where they were, for a quick and dirty comparison. Anyway, it's a very unique puzzle game and I absolutely love them. So much so, that my good buddy FPzero and I are playing a bunch of them co-op.

The Game

We will be playing a series of games called Picross NP, released exclusively in Japan for the SNES between 1999 and 2000. Each of them has a unique "theme" and a set of puzzles related to the game in question, ranging from Pokemon to Star Fox 64 to Donkey Kong Country. I don't promise that we'll complete all 8 games (that would be madness, given that each one appears to have about 100-ish puzzles?), but we'll definitely do all the theme ones and probably finish the first game or two. Beyond that, who knows? We'll keep doing them as long as there's interest.

The LP

The LP is going to be done in video, where FP and I chill out and talk about a little bit of everything. Sometimes we'll lay out some sick picross solving tips, sometimes we'll be focused on the puzzle itself, and sometimes we'll just chat about whatever. One thing that will *not* be returning is the homework puzzles - while I loved doing them in the last thread, they were just super tedious and drained my motivation to keep going with the LP. So this time, we're going to ditch them - I highly encourage everyone to play along however they can (see below!), but if you just want to hang and chill with us, that's okay too. Picross is a game for everyone, after all.

Oh, and yes, I still have that giant collection of songs that people submitted. We've only just scratched the surface of it, after all...

Oh god I've fallen down the Picross hole, it's been three hours and I need more puzzles

Great! Nonograms.org has thousands of puzzles available for free in both black/white and multi-color variation, but if you're looking for something you can take with you, Griddlers is a decent app for your phone or Nintendo has a series of games called Picross e[#] / S[#] (for the 3DS and Switch, respectively). The most recent ones are e9 and S2, but all of them have between 100 and 150 puzzles and can be had for $6-8 a pop. If you know of any others, please mention them and I'll add them here!

CrossMe / CrossMe Color (Android - $5, Free with ads)
Picross Touch (Steam - Free)
Pictopix (Steam - $7)
Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection (Mobile - Free with ads on title screen)

Updates

Part 1: Intro to Picross
Part 2: A Step Up
Part 3: Picross is the Dark Souls of Puzzle Games
Part 4: Please Do Not Puzzle the Baby
Part 5: A Preview of War Crimes
Part 6: A Demonstration of Shame
Part 7: No Vaping Allowed
Part 8: I Never Had Any Credibility to Begin With
Part 9: The Technology of 1991, in 2018
Part 10: What the gently caress is this Puzzle?
Part 11: I'm So Mad About Video Games
Part 12: Bad Zelda Opinions
Part 13: I'm Surprised it Even Works At All
Part 14: Please Await My Betrayal With Bated Breath
Part 15: The Face of Madness
Part 16: It's Like Portal, If You Took a Hit of Acid First
Part 17: Did He Deserve It?
Part 18: And I Have Done Nothing With It
Part 19: Exciting Spreadsheet Action
Part 20: Let's Talk About Axiom Verge
Part 21: Sakurai's Hostage LP Audience
Part 22: Oh No, The Menu Changed
Part 23: This is Hardcore Picross Action, Bro

Part 24: Hey, New Foods Are Scary
Part 25: The Mario Hot Takes Station
Part 26: The World Ends With Yoshi
Part 27: Your Friendly Neighborhood Sheet Ghost
Part 28: World Exclusive - Darksiders 4 is a Picross Game
Part 29: Fallout 76 is a Bad Game
Part 30: Toto and the...Cactus?
Part 31: The Wisdom of Yogurt

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: No Vaping Allowed :siren:

I can't believe it's new content! It's actually been sitting on my channel for like, 18 months now and I just never made it public because uh...reasons? I dunno, but it seemed like as good of an opportunity as any to jump back in.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't believe it's more picross.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo, hell yeah! I was actually looking at the old LP just the other day trying to find Nonograms.org.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You monster.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh nice, more picross! Between the old thread and now, I managed to get through e1-7 on the 3DS. Thanks for letting me know that 8 and 9 are out!

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Whoa, it's picross! As someone relatively new to knowing how to solve them, it's kinda incredible seeing you guys go so blisteringly fast on these. Or maybe I'm just too slow? (For reference, each of the completed puzzles in this image took me literal hours to complete...)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be fair, some of those puzzles are huge! Some 20x20's, a 25x30, those are puzzles that would probably take me a solid hour or two as well. If I still had my 3DS, I could post some of my times doing the 20x25's at the end of Picross DS and I assure you those would not be pretty times.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Artix posted:

To be fair, some of those puzzles are huge! Some 20x20's, a 25x30, those are puzzles that would probably take me a solid hour or two as well. If I still had my 3DS, I could post some of my times doing the 20x25's at the end of Picross DS and I assure you those would not be pretty times.

If you think that's bad, how about a 50x50?

Zyxyz fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 17, 2018

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
What is that first song from in that video? I can't remember and it's so frustrating.

No wait, I've looked around and it's the song from the library dungeon in Final Fantasy XIV, called "Ink Long Dry". I really like that song too.

macfam fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 17, 2018

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

macfam posted:

What is that first song from in that video? I can't remember and it's so frustrating.

No wait, I've looked around and it's the song from the library dungeon in Final Fantasy XIV, called "Ink Long Dry". I really like that song too.

Ink Long Dry is legit one of the best tracks from FFXIV, in my opinion.

Anyway, I got started again on the nonogram site and I only just realized I lost an hour. Artix, you motherfucker.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Materant posted:

Ink Long Dry is legit one of the best tracks from FFXIV, in my opinion.

Anyway, I got started again on the nonogram site and I only just realized I lost an hour. Artix, you motherfucker.

Our work here is complete.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I was not expecting this to return, but I'm super glad it has. :allears:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hell yeah! I missed this LP.

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

I can't watch these, I yell at the screen too much.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's good, we need you to tell us what the heck we were missing about a puzzle in an upcoming episode.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I think the thing that's convinced me to watch this beyond just also loving Picross is recognizing which music you end up using in the videos.

Hell, I should play some Picross again myself, it's been a while.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 8: I Never Had Any Credibility to Begin With :siren:

Coming next time: Actual new content! Track lists! Puzzles that we definitely solved!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 9: The Technology of 1991, in 2018 :siren:

Today we're tackling the character puzzles, which means Pokemon for NP1. I hope you guys who can't watch because we keep missing obvious stuff are still around because we're going to need you real soon! :shepface:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is the real Pokemon Picross, let me tell you.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Seriously though, what were we missing about the :psyduck: puzzle? Can anyone see what we didn't get?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

As far as I can tell this situation is not solvable without guessing something and seeing if the rest works out. Huh.

e: https://fedimser.github.io/nonogram.html agrees. Bad puzzle!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

(recorded in 2017)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I laughed so hard at the :psyduck:, what a perfect Pokemon for that puzzle.

Also I'm pretty certain that was a Pokedoll due to the amount of detail and because that name was way too long for "Pippi".

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Okay, I think I've got something, though it isn't actually very obvious.

Shamelessly borrowing this screenshot for reference:

In the bottom row, the second square from the left can't be filled in, because you'd quickly end up with an impossible situation in the row above it. I haven't followed through enough to 100% guarantee that you can solve the puzzle from there without any more extrapolation, but it gets you at least as far as filling in the three in the fourth column, so I'm pretty sure it'll work out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 10: What the gently caress is this Puzzle :siren:

Strap on your puzzle hats because this is the one that broke us. Legit, let us know what we missed because this thing was a nightmare.

Session 5 Track List

Chocobo Racing - Illusion World
Phantasy Star Online - Mother Earth of Dishonesty
Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Basement
Undertale - Spider Dance
Atelier Ayesha - Yesterday's Opponents are Today's Ingredients
Final Fantasy XIV - Palace of the Dead (Floors 1-3)
Metal Gear Rising - The Stains of Time (Instrumental)
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team - Never Let up!
Atelier Rorona - Assorted arrangements
Undertale - Dogsong
Pokemon Sun and Moon - Team Skull Admin Fight
Phantasy Star Online 2 - Challenge Lobby
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Eyes of Heaven - Trish Una Battle
Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valencia - With Mila's Divine Protection
Final Fantasy XII - Clash on the Big Bridge
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Old Metal Gear
Pokemon Sun and Moon - Guzma's Theme

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

gently caress yoooooooou Togepi!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Geez, what are these puzzles?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I noticed that, from the center to both sides, columns have the exact same numbers, which implies to me that the image is, to that point at least, symmetrical.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
It's amazing how much y'all not recognizing symmetry fucks you up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

But that's not a guaranteed solution! Yeah, it'll *probably* be symmetrical, but how can you prove it?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The problem is that in any given Picross puzzle you're not supposed to have to guess based on things like symmetry and we were fully trying not to guess and instead to get it from what the puzzle had given us.

As it turns out I loaded the puzzle into that nonogram checker and well I'll be:

Another loving impossible puzzle. What the hell 90s Nintendo? At least we haven't run into another one since then.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
poo poo, I meant to post this with the video but I guess it's probably better that we waited a day or two. Behold, the face of evil:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, so it wasn't symmetrical after all. I guess I was in the wrong.

Also this seems vaguely related to the thread considering we're on the Nintendo Picross puzzles.
https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1036229492291690496

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 11: I'm So Mad About Video Games :siren:

Despite the game's best efforts, we soldier on through the remainder of the Pokemon puzzles. None of them are remotely as bullshit as that.

E: For context, this session and the last one were recorded like, 15 minute apart, if it wasn't obvious by how salty we are.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 6, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

FPzero posted:

The problem is that in any given Picross puzzle you're not supposed to have to guess based on things like symmetry and we were fully trying not to guess and instead to get it from what the puzzle had given us.

Well I understand you're not supposed to guess based on symmetry, but there's a certain point where you look at parts of the picture filled in itself and/or then look at the numbers being the same, and then it just sort of makes you go "Oh I see" like the eyes on Pikachu, or the ENTIRETY of the Zapdos puzzle. Of course I'm not going to say that excuses Togepi cause that was a mess, but sometimes it's just like...watching people play split-screen co-op on a single screen.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 11: I'm So Mad About Video Games :siren:

Despite the game's best efforts, we soldier on through the remainder of the Pokemon puzzles. None of them are remotely as bullshit as that.

E: For context, this session and the last one were recorded like, 15 minute apart, if it wasn't obvious by how salty we are.

I was worried that missing that 7 9 7 was a full row would come back to haunt you but thankfully you caught that relatively quickly.

:eng101: If the sum of the numbers in a row/column plus one less than the number of numbers in the row/column add up to the number of squares in that row/column, that row/column can be completed.
7 9 7 is three numbers; 7+9+7+2 = 25, hence you can fill that row out without any additional information.
If you end up with, say, 1 2 2 3 2 1 6 1, math can be a helpful shortcut to determining whether or not you have enough information to complete it versus drawing it out.

Zero K
Feb 22, 2010
Maybe the remaining puzzles will be simple enough that it won't be a issue, but only being given 30 minutes still for 25x20 puzzles seems pretty harsh, at least for a solo player.

Unrelatedly, I've been playing through another SNES picross game, Oekaki Logic, and while I haven't run into any Togepis, there's been some difficulty whiplash for sure. Some example puzzles, from the advanced category. Without even fully going through them, you can probably see a difference in complexity. Puzzle 3 took me 34:33; puzzle 6 took me 6:56. Puzzle 28, I spent 40+ minutes on only to discover a mistake, spent another 20 minutes trying to fix, restarted, then took another 40:07 to finish. It's the third to last puzzle in the category, though, so being a challenge is fine, right?

Puzzle 30 took 13:42.

oldskool posted:

:eng101: If the sum of the numbers in a row/column plus one less than the number of numbers in the row/column add up to the number of squares in that row/column, that row/column can be completed.
7 9 7 is three numbers; 7+9+7+2 = 25, hence you can fill that row out without any additional information.
If you end up with, say, 1 2 2 3 2 1 6 1, math can be a helpful shortcut to determining whether or not you have enough information to complete it versus drawing it out.

I use similar math for incomplete rows as well, e.g. if the row were 7 4 7 instead, it sums to 20 with the two empty squares accounted for. Subtracting that from the 25 squares it can go in, there's five squares of wiggle room. So, any number greater than five, I can fill in the difference; in this case, pretty simply squares 6-7 from either edge. If it were 7 7 4, I'd still count it out after doing the math to make sure I place the 2 dots for the second 7 correctly.

With the longer strings, like 1 2 2 3 2 1 6 1, I tend to add one to each number as I go, except for the last. So instead of 1+2+2+3+2+1+6+1+(go back and count)...7, it's 2+3+3+4+3+2+7+1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Oh hell yes, picross is back! I loved this thread almost as much as I love picross itself.

My favorite picross games are the 3ds/switch picross e series, but since I've cleared literally all if them multiple times (send help), Pictopix ($7 on Steam) has been my go-to substitute. It plays smoothly with controller support, and has Workshop support for user made puzzles of varying, but usually acceptable, quality.

I never tried Touch though, and it's free...

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 8, 2018