Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just won my first tournament in Standard Mode. I pretty much only exclusively play Simple mode, in which I made the finals once, usually getting 2 to 3 wins and then losing. So just to see how far I'd get in Standard I boot it up as Daisy and in my first go I did it. I went 2-0 the whole tourney, didn't break or lose a single racket (in fact I only used Zone Speed, no trick or zone shots as I'm not really used to them), I contested a few break/game points but most of it went pretty smoothly.

I think Simple mode is just that much more difficult that or your reflexes are maybe just a bit better? Or maybe because I did my first tournament near the end of the month everyone who is actually good got weeded out of the starting standard tourneys. Who knows?

What does bug me though is that I didn't feel I played particularly fair. I used a lot of drop shots to lure them in followed by a quick smash to the side, or if they're too close a lob. It feels cheap and I did get one person dropping out on me... though if it was a connection issue or rage I couldn't say.

I wish I was better to avoid having to do that, but it really does help...

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah seriously the gear is going to help me keep coming back from time to time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's pretty dumb but I get it. If the Boo rally is any indication they don't plan on you actually moving to do stuff. It's dull enough to be standing like a fool waiting for your turn in line, but it'd be way more boring if you were to just press a button. Also maybe they want it to be harder? Otherwise you'd get the rewards too quickly.

The purple visor requires you play that challenge A LOT. I managed to get the blue and I think I'll stop there, it took ages to get into matches and it's not a guarantee that you'll actually win since the games aren't that easy it being hard to aim properly while swinging I find.

The new island is clearly an afterthought. I appreciate that the boss rush isn't a countdown. I've only tried once and I lost by KO after getting careless. It's way better to take the added seconds.

• Locked thread