Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

this is so FRESH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY28N0kv7Pk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

someone turned up the graphics knob up to 11

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm not sure the world is ready to move beyond the polygon.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

poly already means "many" so how can you go beyond that?????

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ADINSX posted:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

alright well first step is to introduce a number ω tjat is defined to be larger than every real number

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm really happy Huang tries to bring some of that Stevenote magic back into the world, now that all the apple keynotes suck

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

voxel technology is back!!1

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm really happy Huang tries to bring some of that Stevenote magic back into the world, now that all the apple keynotes suck

he’s like steve jobs, but with a wacky sense of humor!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ADINSX posted:

ask echi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

god damnit i was so close to not getting beaten here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don’t have time to watch it, someone give me highlights and how it will affect my bitcoin mines

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

I don’t have time to watch it, someone give me highlights and how it will affect my bitcoin mines

:gb2gbs:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
about a decade ago i worked at a place that did raytrace renders that had 1 TB of textures and multiple gigs of meshes in a scene. how is this hardware going to solve that?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm sure you would do some clever distance based LOD and culling on the CPU before you send the most important 48/96GB of stuff to the GPU

The brute force method is hardly ever the best one

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

not a newer sleeker version of yo; voted 1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

if boning chicks is my legacy, then so be it

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

about a decade ago i worked at a place that did raytrace renders that had 1 TB of textures and multiple gigs of meshes in a scene. how is this hardware going to solve that?

nice point these vids were quite texture free as far as i could tell. they were focusing on lighting huh

curious as to what methods of raytracing it uses because for some of us “raytracing” means “old, decrepit”

this is cool tho. except not cool how it’s a good dozen years before i have one in my pc :qq:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also op who do you expect is going to watch a 90 min video on boring poo poo gently caress you idiot

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
they should invent a card that improves gameplay instead imo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

alan turings super gayming fun house

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So what resolution are they really rendering the 10-gigarays at? 640×480 render using AI to upscale to 8K?

More than just the (1) TIP.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sub-par, noisy real time ray tracing fixed up with AI using processors specially made for those functions. Works pretty well, apparently.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

echinopsis posted:

nice point these vids were quite texture free as far as i could tell. they were focusing on lighting huh

well, yeah. textures wouldn’t really be a problem, but they want to show off how the lighting bounces off everything. that would happen even if it wasn’t so reflective, but it wouldn’t be as obvious

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

if boning chicks is my legacy, then so be it

low poly on the screen, high poly with the ween

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

creationist believer posted:

low poly on the screen, high poly with the ween

get to the doctor. polyps can mean trouble.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The RTX effects in battlefield 5 are really impressive and I can agree that it's a big leap in realism, I bet most gamers are going to turn all this stuff off because it impacts the framerate too much though :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xM1AcnS5Wo&t=110s

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

lol 1200 loving dollars

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the entire ikea catalog is rendered, to save money on setting up stock floors for photos

bro have you ever been inside an ikea that's all it is lmao

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

The RTX effects in battlefield 5 are really impressive and I can agree that it's a big leap in realism, I bet most gamers are going to turn all this stuff off because it impacts the framerate too much though :eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xM1AcnS5Wo&t=110s

i just assume this is run on a quad sli setup with liquid nitrogen cooling

real benchmarks come out: 47fps@1080p

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

abigserve posted:

the entire ikea catalog is rendered, to save money on setting up stock floors for photos

that’s rly clever. those italians or w/e are pretty smart.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ray traced meatballs and tensorflowing surstromming

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
if u told me IKEA furniture was designed by machine learning i'd believe you

even the names

and the instructions that have no words and seem to only vaguely reference the hardware

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

ray traced meatballs

See ray trace

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

abigserve posted:

bro have you ever been inside an ikea that's all it is lmao

ikea has a renderer they put together that uses employee's desktops to render frames during downtime (night, etc).
p. cool, actually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don’t they have to actually make the product at some stage? why not just take a photo of that??

guess renders mean 3d models means flexibility idk i’m just envious

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
vanilla ray tracing is so 90s.

also those reflections look like poo poo.

hopefully all this raytracing BS is under shader control and not just fixed function.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/BpT6MkCeP7Y

why does this 2014 video look a million times better

pram
Jun 10, 2001
turn your monitor on :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah was thinking it wasn't necessary to have ball-sack showing to sell nvidia cards :confused:

• Locked thread