Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Superbad's a really great transition piece movie, though. Even though the characters are still in High School, it's just perfunctory setting to move along all the transitional elements. At the end, they explicitly talk about Senior Portraits or Grad Pictures while shopping for Dorm poo poo, but by then we understand that HS is done and that they're much different people. It does a great job of capturing that last week or two when kids are just kind of in Limbo and waiting for the graduation event to be formally done with all this poo poo.
The socialization aspect is similarly impaired if you know your buddy/crush/whatever won't routinely hit their locker up before class.
yeah i just rewatched superbad for the first time in a decade yesterday. definitely through different eyes lol. when it came out i was literally on the verge of graduating high school (2007) and it was thoroughly cathartic. especially the throwaway bits like "why don't you go piss your self? "that was eight years ago, seth" ... oh and "its two weeks to go, i'm just drilling holes" etc. its sentimental for me but superbad is v intertwined with my end of high school experience. hell, i had my first ever kiss while in the cinema watching that movie for the first time in 2007 ahh.

its terribly subjective. because the op cited breakfast club whereas i would say thats so far from a high school movie for me cause wtf. i went to high school here in nz. there is too much temporal and cultural distance for me to relate to breakfast club at all. only the iconic song that kicks in at the end. i would have to point to linklaters boyhood and, my favourite movie ever, dazed and confused as high school movies that constitute what i relate to as a high school movie. ladybird too duh. sentimental, bittersweet, sad, missing, 1979 stuff. an empty quad after friday afternoon, you know.

honestly, the closest thing to a high school movie for me would have to be a tv show. summer height's high. because the pretty realistic raw australian setting is v close to nz in high school culture. american high school movies are just in the uncanny valley of 13 reasons why and high school musical and like, endless cafeteria and lockers hall set pieces.

university films? i agree with filthyimp. the experience of 'firsts' and change quickly dissipates and everybody has such varied experiences. films that focus on just-a-bit-after-uni seem to weirdly sum up the uni experience better than any movie that directly focuses on them could. saint elmo's fire, reality bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Seconding that film. Love it.

There is that great scene near the start of the 21 Jump Street film where the early 2000s protags try to be cool. but in early 2010 cool is the vegan gay friendly kids.

• Locked thread