Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love me some fully automated luxury gay space communism, but I think deadtear is safe from my puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Crazycryodude posted:

Is there like a news service I can read to get regular updates on whether or not we're winning the war/what the gently caress else is going on in the galaxy? So far all I have to judge how the war's going is the occasional fleet where we go smash up a starbase unopposed and a very occasional fight which I guess means we're winning, but that's just one rookie's personal experience so for all I can prove we're getting our asses kicked on the strategic level and it bugs me that I don't know.

https://imperium.news/

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

even if mittani was banned for whatever dumb reason, it wouldn't really affect anything we do

he's not the single point of failure for anything in-game and it's not like being banned affects your ability to do a bunch of jabber poo poo, aka 99.999% of what the dude does to run a space guild

And for people who doubt this, he has been temporarily banned at various times, and it didn't impact anything then.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

Any day now the GOON SUPERS STILL TRAPPED IN DO6H will log in

I think that might be where my titan is :toxx:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm legit curious if the name Vile Rat means anything to you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SugarAddict posted:

:psyduck: I've been playing Eve Online on and off for about 6 years now. I don't recall of ever hearing of this until now.

Heh, not only does it work this way, it's not even the weirdest thing I've seen people do with bubbles. Imagine getting stuck in a bubble that isn't on the same grid as you...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rust Martialis posted:

And then having to listen to Kesper make puns about bubbles til you burn 100km to get out

Yup. Everyone burns back to Pungate.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Hogfather. (Remember, dragons are forever, not just Hogswatchnight.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

evilweasel posted:

hard knocks and friends are waging war against init on r/eve because they, uh, couldn't in-game

wolfposts in lowsub

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mila kunis posted:

I finished that 'empires of eve' book and it was a really fun read. Is there a summary of what happened in eve politics between band of brothers being finally killed and now?

There's a Book 2 in the works, AFAIK.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I shared an elevator with him once. He seemed nice. Didn't steal anything.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Klyith posted:

Doesn't it cost like 10 million bucks to shoot that thing?

not if you mine it all yourself :smug:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Maneck posted:

That guy was a freak of nature, somehow combing being a good person, good poster and legitimately good at EVE. Naturally he's moved with his life.

Too good for this single-sharded world :smith:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

I'd imagine if you work at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution you would be paid well enough that you wouldn't need to do dumb poo poo in EVE to pay your sub.

Alternatively, you're a collector of old newspapers from Los Angeles, California.

I used to know people at WHOI; they tended to be friendly but perpetually damp people who lead lives of quiet desperation and subsist on ramen and the by-catch from survey trawls.

Marine science is very poorly funded if you are not James Cameron, and their subs are more expensive than /r/'s.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Waaaaay too often. Far too many people I know spread across a dozen groups have had bad interactions with CCP Security for it to be a fluke, they're totally incompetent.

It seemed to make Darius JOHNSON a far more angry person than he was before he worked there.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dial911 posted:

I logged off in my Mothership (caldari I think?)

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

We own Delve again.

Wyverned it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Kiki or bust losers

Is there, like, a delivery service for this

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TigerXtrm posted:

Wait, does this refer to doomsdays firing through a cyno bridge? Because that sounds hilarious.

That is literally how it worked. Imagine an AOE smartbomb that kills every single thing on grid unless it's a heavy tanked battleship, which can soak two or three of those at most. And only one alliance had them for a good bit. (They were the baddies.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
~ Like a purgin
Cut for the very first time ~

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Paramemetic posted:

What I'm hearing is "so I can sell BPCs to enemies easily"

That's it! That's what his discourse reminds me of! One of those supercap producers who gets SUPER ANGRY when they get caught selling to NCDOT.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Apparently the emergent and unscripted space battles are still happening in this game. It just doesn't involve players, and players never see it.

If an AI drops a killmail in the woods and no one is in local...

https://massivelyop.com/2019/06/23/eve-north-2019-a-huge-battle-once-broke-out-in-eve-online-but-not-a-single-player-was-involved/

CCP Burger posted:

So because we approached the AI like that, when an Amarr mining operation and a Blood Raider mining operation meet each other, they declare war on each other and they fight. We actually had this happen where this massive fight broke out and the Drifters showed up, and the Drifters hate everyone so they joined the fight and it ended with the Drifters just annihilating the fight — And no-one saw it. We had logs on who the Drifters killed and we were religiously following who the diamond NPCs were fighting. One morning CCP Paradox said, ‘Guys, something strange happened here, there’s this massive fight and there’s not a single player involved.’ This is one of those things that you don’t plan for – it just happens.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
drifters gonna come reinforce this thread

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Funny thing about MMOs; threaten God's revenue stream and God has a tendency to answer, or even capitulate. It would hardly be the first time in this game.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Paramemetic posted:

They forgot to book Harpa after a 5 year deal lapsed and Harpa told them no they can't just book a year in advance on a whim because 2019 was already scheduled

In theory they will return to Fanfest in Iceland in 2020. If the game still exists / it isn't in South Korea.

are you telling me

CCP disbanded fanfest

because they forgot to pay the sov bill

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Do you know how many fuckin times that joke has been made

Don't even care. I'm too amused.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My first encounter with Goons (circa 2008) was Scalding Pass local chat. Space Police gimmicks were flying fast and hard, and they were actually quite charming and funny.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rust Martialis posted:

So you joined to balance that out.

Punitive measures had to be taken.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ynglaur posted:

I'm still hopeful they make dscan interesting with things like active and passive scanning, results on the overview and with different levels of fidelity ("battleship-sized contact", etc.). Basically, take cool things from naval and submarine warfare.

*sucks air through teeth*

I dunno... That sounds way too much like engaging gameplay to me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
/usr/local/bin/loonies > /dev/null &

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
At least you didn't create an A record; then I'd really be in a BIND.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Landsknecht posted:

wtf ccp my botfarm just got shitbarned enjoy losing 12 subs

losing more subs than the Russian Navy :dadjoke:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

yogizh posted:

I am quite an Eve optimist, but I can see SA outliving it by far. Cyber spine technology is progressing. :psylon:

At this point we can just use CGI and have reticulated spines.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wonder if fully visually impaired people can/do play EVE. It's mostly spreadsheet...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Toalpaz posted:

I have this somewhat passive source of isk coming in buying, building, and selling this item.... I accidentally listed a batch for 10x the cost and paid 150 mil of broker fee setting me back 2 batches in profits.... god this game sucks........

Let one of the fine goons here tell you about something called scamming pubbies

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

retpocileh posted:

What's the etiquette if the person who accidentally listed their poo poo for the wrong price is a goon? I'm guessing you give the poo poo back to them and pay fair value not to be a dick?

To do otherwise would be goonfucking (but I'm sure it's happened).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So why didn't other alliances get Roarqs and do the same?
It seems to me that watching your enemy build up their military capacity while not matching them, and then complaining later is dumb...

Because Goons did what Goons always seem to do: they organized, like bees. The coalition built a fuckton of infrastructure, like enough citadels that you could walk from Cloud Ring to Aridia to Period Basis without getting your feet wet, did crucial organizational work like produce guides on how to mine in Rorquals effectively and safely, and built the processes around defense fleets that could respond instantly to mining Rorquals in trouble so that all they had to do was pop a cyno and wait for a hundred titans to jump in and boosh whatever entered local, while faxes rep the rorquals. (Faxes are Fleet Auxilliaries, a new type of capital ship - they took over the structure and capital repping role from carriers, which are dedicated combat ships now).

And, as always, we continued to have the best social welfare programs in EVE. Fly for us and we will pay you to lose ships. When a game sucks and is becoming increasingly lovely, the place with the best living conditions will still have the most active and productive members. Most of the old guard that made groups like PL legendary have quit playing, and with them went the drive and talent to stay competitive.

Most of our enemies don't like to admit that they PVE at all, or do it on alts in renter alliances. They definitely don't like to help one another PVE, particularly not in public, and not in an organized fashion. It's embarrassing. People might think you are less than elite because you spend all this time sucking crok. And it's work - it's hard, tedious work. Most of all, it's an endless, endless loving argument to fight to keep thousands of people on message and maintaining that organization once it's in shape, and our enemies don't like one another all that much in the first place.

It's weird, when you think about it, but the true power and legacy of "chaotic" Goonswarm is bureaucracy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GeneticWeapon posted:

You're loving making GBS threads me? Are titans mostly logistic boats then? When Shrike DD'd us, there was between 9-15 of us in pods afterwards, I don't understand why they would take something like that away ffs

They replaced it with a Death Star laser, initially. It was actually pretty boss, because you could delete supercapitals with it, and enough titans could alpha doomsday other titans.

Right about now is when you want to google something called the "Battle of B-R5".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ynglaur posted:

Hilmar has his problems but speaking coherent English is not among them.

Seconding this. He has the mushy Icelandic accent but there's nothing wrong with his vocabulary or sentence structure. He is extremely easy to understand compared to many people I have worked with in the tech world, from helpdesk to CEO.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's cool and all but the whole thread was centered around Hilmar's ability to work outside Iceland. If I can work with an H-1B who barely comprehends written English, let alone spoken, a former CEO with what I consider a mild accent compared to someone from China or India is going to have perfectly good job prospects.

And you're forgetting that it's even less of an issue for tech companies in one of the Scandanavian countries other than Iceland, of which there are many.

Same with Ynglaur: whiteknighting a bit because I'm tired of people complaining about accents. I have significant auditory processing issues that makes people with accents even harder to understand for me than most people, and I still do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
GENTLEBEINGS chill out yall

Hey do you guys remember back when we worried about buffing carriers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKk2ysyNrA