Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Realtalk: I'm assuming this game is still more fun with some form of goons, than with the various collection of bitter exes or whatever

But I thought goons were the bitter vets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been posting to SA for 17 years and I still don't understand wtf is going on in FYAD.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Pipes posted:

A mate has said it's all kicking off again and it's a good time to reinstall. True?

And how do I sort out my standing with Goonwaffe? I was in a lovely corp in CVA (I think) in Provi like, 18 months ago or something.

It's a great time to reinstall. We are on campaign up north, lots of reds all around to shoot. I brought up one of my Proteus to the north and bought a stealth bomber, an interceptor, and an interdictor. Even if you don't have time to go on big ops you can still find lots of nice targets for solo hunting.

I would have brought my super carrier, but I did not have tech 2 rigs so I was worried it would not be replaced if I lost it. I might buy a Thanatos up there to chip in on the bigger battles, I can lose one of those no problem.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 19, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

Just a hint: leave a clone in your school station so you can jump back and inject whenever you need without needing to fly there.

That's a waste, you can change your home station to your school station at any time and just pod jump.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

So I'm really mmo parched and I have an account from maybe 10 years ago I was considering hopping back onto, are there any veteran rewards or anything meaningful to know about? I don't remember the game at all besides doing some mining and stuff so I imagine thats what I'm gonna do again, I'd like to do some trading and escape velocity style stuff too

If you had resubbed like a month or so ago you would have got a bunch of free ships, but I don't think it's retroactive. If you like mining goonswarm is for you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Eve is supposed to be somewhat of a sim. Removing jump freighters makes no in-universe sense. Of course jump drive technology would be used for cargo.

What they need is some module or ship that can interdict ships using a jump drive. Some kind of cyno sink that draws in all ships using a jump drive within a certain light year radius.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FranktheBank posted:

Rorquals are the now the most profitable, scale-able income source.

That's only partially true. It's the best PvE income source, but PvP income can be much greater. Be that killing freighters, scamming people, or gouging people on the market.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

like seriously we jumped the remnants of our supercap fleet to a single asshouse in ashitsu, how hard would it have been to drop on that and just erase us forever

So what you are saying is our current northern campaign should be a war of total annihilation? No mercy and no quarter, after all we wouldn't want them coming back like goons did for revenge.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i'm up to about 100b now

Nice, this means I'm up to "super rich" tier now :haw:

If I bought a personal keepstar and put it into a wormhole system would it be essentially unsiegeable?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why did he think killing kids was fine? Communism?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Looks like my eve dudes are worth about $530. So much effort for so little cash lmao.

They are actually worth $0, because selling EVE assets for real money is against the TOS :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flamester posted:

Alright I have a friend that's in Ascendance and they talk about it a lot, and I like the thread title, so I want to join this.

Is there a idiots guide to eve that I should read, or is the OP from the old thread and in game tutorial enough? There was also something about a 90 day wait in the joining link.

Your newbies guide should come in the form of joining goonswarm. There is a goonswarm wiki that is open to the public, but its quite old and the info is not up to date. You need access to the goonswarm forums, thats where all the up to date tutorials are posted. You should come out to 0.0 space right away, if you stay in high security you will learn bad habits.

Failing that just post here and people can answer your questions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

staberind posted:

when my next pc purrs into lyfe, all moisty coolieo and that, Mebbe I shall join and respec a bit for rorqual.
or i should just slam a car door shut onto my dick a few times a day.
the struggle to decide is real

You can do both if you put your mind to it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

madmatt112 posted:

I feel that the only way I would have time and space to play EVE is if my wife dies in a car accident and life insurance allows me to take an extended leave of absence from work.

A man can have either an mmo or a wife. If you start playing anyway the problem will take care of itself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sion posted:

I haven't played EVE since 2008-ish, back when Goonfleet and BoB were feuding. I remember there being something about someone forgetting to pay sovereignty and all the terrain that was won reverted.

What's the current state of fleet space looking like? Is there a large scale conflict still going?

edit - oh my god it would have been in 2006/07 I'm so loving old

It's a good time to come back, goons are back in Delve just like after defeating Bob. We are also on campaign in the north, because after like 2 years of intense mining goons are now an invincible super capital blob.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

juche avocado posted:

ok but now can you build star gates

This would be bad rear end, especially if they allowed people to "explore" new systems. Make some kind of telescope and "survey probe" system that lets people scout out new solar systems to add to the game. You could look for specific types of resources of course. You could even find ways to link wormhole systems.

To balance it out allow all gates to be destroyed, and also add a doomsday device super weapon that can blow up entire solar systems (and all planets structures etc inside). :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yogizh posted:

Drinking milk from a bag is communist as gently caress. I approve.

I just bought 4L of milk in bags today. I have never known anything else. What would milk come in if not a bag? Do people out there still have their milk delivered in glass bottles by a man in a white suit every morning or something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jazzzzz posted:

man milk

So bagged then

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spiteski posted:

Does it matter who you play with these days much?
I simultaneously got a spot in an ENEMY CORP and also re-auth'd to the waffe.
I've played in Waffe before so know what that's like, but considering playing with someone else to see how it compares but not if it's going to be a "never in waffe again" choice.

:eyepop:
Mods?!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I thought the Seinfeld show was pretty funny :jerry:

Larry David is funny

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Its been a long time since there was a two week trial. We have alpha now, those banners are going to confuse people.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

I got accepted, yay! Now how do I get to goonspace without getting murdered en route?

Just fly there. The route from Jita to goonspace is long but there is almost never anyone camping it. I have done it in a shuttle many times with no issue.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

I'm guessing we have a good supply of frigates and things I'll be able to buy when I'm there

:twisted:
This is actually where you will find me camping. Get here right away, bring isk.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A few days ago I got kind of bored constantly updating orders. I was saving up for a Titan, but honestly I don't know what I would even do with such a ship (shoot at Keepstars?). Instead I decided I would stop updating orders and hold onto the isk. Its enough to PLEX my account for a few years, or buy any ships I want (except a titan :v:). I thought I would start "playing the game" so to speak.

I decided I would bring a carrier full of PvP ships up to the "front lines" in the north. Back when I was trading on the market I would hold back the ships I liked, so any time someone sold a Proteus or a Stratios or a Flycatcher I would hold onto it instead of selling it for a mark up. This way I ended up with stacks of 10+ of all of my favorite ships, at a good discount. I did not have all of the fittings (I did have some!) so I had to buy a bunch on the market, but even still most ships where 20%+ cheaper to me than market average once fitted. I decided to load up a bunch of these into my first carrier, a Thanatos called The Bexx. I bought full platinum insurance, because I know I am going to lose this thing at some point! If I have ships in the cargo hold and my carrier is destroyed, do they ships pay out insurance? I didn't bring the super carrier, because it is very valuable and I am a coward. The trip up was quite easy, there is a string of helpful Keepstars all the way there! I don't know how we can afford so many keepstars :psyduck: The only trouble was the last 10 jumps, there was no cyno field thing set up. I don't have a second account for cyno, so I needed that goon infrastructure!

The PvP "fleet" I brought along with my carrier to the front lines consisted of:
-1 Dominix
-2 Proteus
-2 Stealth Bombers
-2 Interdictor
-1 Interceptor
-1 Stratios
-1 Astero
-a bunch of shuttles

A few of the ships are new ones, I have not posted my builds for them! I did update the build for my old ships (with better more bling modules) but I will only post the new ships. Are these good Elite PvP builds? I hope to get lots of kills for the honor of the imperium :patriot:

quote:

[Nemesis, Sunset Bomber]
Ballistic Control System II
Expanded Cargohold II

Target Painter I
Target Painter I
Remote Sensor Dampener I
5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive

Prototype 'Arbalest' Torpedo Launcher
Bomb Launcher I
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I

Targeting Range Dampening Script x1
Scorch Bomb x4
Caldari Navy Inferno Torpedo x884

quote:

[Flycatcher, Simulated Flycatcher]
Inertial Stabilizers II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
1MN Afterburner II
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
Medium Shield Extender I

'Arbalest' Rocket Launcher I
Improved Cloaking Device II
Interdiction Sphere Launcher I

Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints II
Small Auxiliary Thrusters II

Warp Disrupt Probe x50
Caldari Navy Inferno Rocket x20000

quote:

[Ares, Hotrod]
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II

Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
5MN Microwarpdrive II

Core Probe Launcher I
Prototype Cloaking Device I
150mm Prototype Gauss Gun

Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x1040
Core Scanner Probe I x108

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

I'm the useless i-stabs on the ares.

How is it useless? The numbers go up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

I have an old rear end version of Pyfa, but here we go:

Your align time is 1.69s, with all 5s. Take one off and you're now at 1.8s. This effectively is zero change in align time because of ticks. Take a second off and now you're at 2.03s align, or effectively 3 seconds.

Ah thanks! I didn't know there was a "hard cap" on align time due to server ticks. I can change it over to nanofiber internal structures. I wasn't planning on using the interceptor much for combat, its mostly for flying around quickly. Thats why I wanted the cloak, so I can travel through wormholes safely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you fly a Rorqual a small fleet will come by shortly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

You know when you think about it, pretty much. I mean the high end is completely out of wack in terms of balance, but when caps and supers aren't involved, most ships from the smallest to the biggest are useful.

I still don't understand what is the point of Marauders and Force Recon ships.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ceaselessfuture posted:

How hard is it to play EVE and maintain a free sub through in-game currency?

It depends on your activity. If you are ratting in a Vexor Navy Issue it is going to take forever to buy a PLEX and you will be poor forever. But if you are mining in a Rorqual or ratting in a super carrier, or doing some other much more profitable activity than it is quite easy. I stopped paying for my account several months ago. Its not hard to make more than a few billion isk each month with multiple "passive income" activities like Planetary Interaction, Reactions, Manufacturing, etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheQuietWilds posted:

Ok I just resubbed and I realized I have no idea what the hell I was doing. I had an alt that had all my ratting skills, I could fly an Ishtar and Rattlesnake on my second account, but my first account is a mess. I’m only interested in one account though so I guess ratting will start from scratch if I even bother. Currently my two characters, QuietWilds and SilentWilds look like this

QW: mostly trained up leadership skills, have most to 5, prob a week or two away from injecting command ships, but that’s a waste of time I think. Just gonna back-burner this dude.

SW: All frigates to 5, Minmatar/Caldari Destroyer 4+, Caldari Cruiser 4+, CovOps 5, Interceptors 3, All scanning skills 4 except Astrometrics 5, T2 Torpedos with a bit of missile support skills. Currently have Long Range Targetting and Signature Analysis 5 queued but no idea why.

Tell me what to train, goons. I’m prob gonna play SW for the time being and train him into eWar stuff I guess? He has a bit more random poo poo trained so I guess I’ll start out on him. It’ll be a week or so before I can actually play so I’ll worry about setting up goonfleet stuff and rejoining then. What should I train until then? I'm not really going to play a lot or do a ton of ratting, and goon wormhole is dead now so I dont really need my Rattlesnake guy. I'll prob just do a fleet or two on the weekends, so I think making a few FYF skillsets seems like a good idea, right?

You should train Caldari Cruiser V and fly a Tengu. T3 Cruisers are awesome, they have it all: combat probes, covert ops cloak, bubble immunity, good DPS, good tank, good speed. If you know what you are doing you will never be caught, all PvP will be on your terms.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:twisted:
I didn't realize how powerful we are. Wonderful!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

What's the best ship for solo WH ganking now?

Edit: Google was telling me stratios but I'm not trusting Google with that much isk

Tengu, or your other preferred flavor of T3 Cruiser (the best ships in the game).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Were the Proteus nerfs enough to make it a bad ship? I've got no missile or laser support skills, and on paper it looked like it's still okay as long as you don't jump on something stupid

Proteus is awesome and its my favorite ship to fly. I keep making more of them, I have like 10 now. I said Tengu because its more popular so I figured that was good advice :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheQuietWilds posted:

I don't really remember how a lot of this stuff works, is there any way to get a huge lumbering ship out to goon-space? I logged off last years ago in a Rattlesnake in a wormhole and when I got back I was in a high-sec station, but I'd like to bring this snake with me. There isn't any high-sec bordering goon space to hop in safely, and I don't remember a way for battleships to teleport. I don't want to slowly amble through low-sec for an hour in a ship that juicy.

Teleport that Rattlesnake onto the Jita market, then just buy a new one in Delve.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, I guess it's time to start spending my isk. Its all going to be worthless soon, people are going to need "premium coins" or whatever to play EVE now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

I usually don't mind the trashing of :ccp: and EVE in general, but in this era of P2W i think :ccp: actually did quite okay. I can think of a few games that implemented P2W in a worse way

Thats because EVE has always been "Pay-to-lose". No one cares if you can buy a fancy ship for real money, when they real power in EVE comes from having more people in your gang.

I hope the game doesn't turn to poo poo too quickly. I mean obviously the company was purchased so that they can squeeze every last dime from the EVE "whales" before killing the game, but hopefully they are smart enough to do that gradually. I'm certainly not going to be trying to make more isk for nebulous "future activities" any more. I've got 50b+ sitting in the bank, and I intend to blow it all before EVE turns into pure poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

Dumb question... since :ccp: decided to kill EVE, and our gf forum accounts are linked with our characters in corp, does that mean we lose the forum once EVE dies? :ohdear:

*edit: And jabber?

Don't worry its not going to die over night. They will implement a series of terrible new cash-store policies that will kill peoples interest in the game over time. By the time the game actually shuts down the servers you won't want to post to goonfleet forums anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

CCP's main issue is they had a cash tree that just kept raining cash, so they kept wasting it over and over and over again on failed business attempts. Remove the people wasting the money, and presto, you've got a cash tree.

I think this is very much the case. EVEs success is not a product of CCPs brilliant planning and game mechanics. They basically stumbled onto the correct formula to create a sandbox MMO, and the players have been generating content for them ever since. No one is drawn to EVE for the faction warfare or great mission design, they are drawn in when they read an article about giant alliances blowing up thousands of dollars worth of fake space ships. All CCP has to do is keep the servers running, and patch any obvious imbalances and the players will continue making content (and money) for them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Looks like I made the right choice quitting this game in checks notes 2014

No one truly quits until they remove the EVE thread from their bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A pure FPS doesn't make much sense in the context of EVE. Why use foot soldiers when "planetary vehicles" only cost 90k isk? "Elite Slaves" sell for 300k+, it doesn't make financial sense to use waves of foot soldiers instead of vehicles.

They should have done a "space GTA" set on the four home worlds of the different factions.