Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Great, just what the world needs, ANOTHER left-leaning podcast created by internet savvy patrons of an ironic humor website where they prattle on by delving into nostalgic media consumption of a product that embodies "it used to better"-ism and the deification of the Democratic party as the one true harbinger of moral high ground politics.

No sarcasm intended. It's good stuff. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worst thing I can say about this is that it might make me actually watch the west wing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

The worst thing I can say about this is that it might make me actually watch the west wing

Mother of God

*looks at hands*

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?

Dec 26, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

RSS feed isn't working for me in Apple Podcasts :/

its working for me idk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WampaLord posted:

Mother of God

*looks at hands*

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?

*Something in latin about becoming monsters*

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Barry Convex posted:

RSS feed isn't working for me in Apple Podcasts :/

I just flipped to my iPad to check on this

it works? I pasted the RSS feed URL into the field that pops when you hit the "My Podcasts" menu and tap the + sign at the top left

I'm on iOS 10 something still but was pretty straightforward. you can't search it up by name but uh... that's ok, really

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
man i cant wait til you guys get to the episode charlie is introduced because bartlett worries that charlie is just the token black member of the white house, manages to reassure himself its not tokenism, and then charlie remains the only major black character on the show outside of a few appearances by fitz

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
b b but nancy mcnally!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man i cant wait til you guys get to the episode charlie is introduced because bartlett worries that charlie is just the token black member of the white house, manages to reassure himself its not tokenism, and then charlie remains the only major black character on the show outside of a few appearances by fitz

My favorite thing is Fitzwallace asking if Bartlett is gonna pay the kid a fair wage and Bartlett says he will, which loving lmaooooooo. Kid makes next to nothing and is shown working 80+ hour weeks all the time.

I'll have more to say about Charlie and his Impossible Finances when we get to the episode where he files his tax return.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I serve at the pleasure of the President.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We got there, but we're going to devote more time to Charlie Young in future episodes (at which point seriously we'll let you know and you can drop in)

A Proportional Response Is Warranted or I guess whatever plus DECORUM in episode 3 of the podcast dealing with tokenism and appropriately topical bloodlust of the military-industrial apparatus.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 04:43 on Aug 28, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's a shame that godawful supreme court episode is so late in the series, that's a nice meaty one you can really sink your teeth into.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

R. Guyovich posted:

it's a shame that godawful supreme court episode is so late in the series, that's a nice meaty one you can really sink your teeth into.

we've got lots of plans for meaty future episodes, just need to keep the collective Your as well as our own interest level up. It's been really fun so far.

as always uh, if any poster knows or cares enough about a specific ep in the show just give a shout and we'll dial you in on the recording s e s h

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

We got there, but we're going to devote more time to Charlie Young in future episodes (at which point seriously we'll let you know and you can drop in)

A Proportional Response Is Warranted or I guess whatever plus DECORUM in episode 3 of the podcast dealing with tokenism and appropriately topical bloodlust of the military-industrial apparatus.

lmao that segue into ruthlessly dunking on McCain. :golfclap:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we've got lots of plans for meaty future episodes, just need to keep the collective Your as well as our own interest level up. It's been really fun so far.

as always uh, if any poster knows or cares enough about a specific ep in the show just give a shout and we'll dial you in on the recording s e s h

it'd be funny to talk about the one where the dprk pianist defects or the one where bartlet receives a taiwan independence flag but i don't want to self-doxx.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

R. Guyovich posted:

it'd be funny to talk about the one where the dprk pianist defects or the one where bartlet receives a taiwan independence flag but i don't want to self-doxx.

wow I didn’t know we had a North Korean defector admin

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lol. just can't be too careful is all.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

R. Guyovich posted:

good/bad news is both of those are like, season number Post-Aaron Sorkin (5 and 6 respectively) so that's way, WAY down the pipeline

and obviously no doxxing necessary we'd just skype you in and have you record your audio we could call you Guyovich :P

same goes for all you jerks. this poo poo is fun to gab about

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I know nothing about nothing.

I should write for the New York Times.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i'm not sure if i want to focus on charlie specifically, i just remembered how peak lib it was to fret over tokenism regarding the token black cast member

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm not sure if i want to focus on charlie specifically, i just remembered how peak lib it was to fret over tokenism regarding the token black cast member

I have some poo poo to talk about when we get to the episode where he files his tax return.

Because based on what we know about how long he works, I'm pretty sure he's making a sub-minimum wage if we actually do the math.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
college-going iwill be an interesting topic as well in the frame of Charlie and pressure to perform socially/culturally across a yawning chasm of wealth inequalities

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gunshow Poophole posted:

good/bad news is both of those are like, season number Post-Aaron Sorkin (5 and 6 respectively) so that's way, WAY down the pipeline

and obviously no doxxing necessary we'd just skype you in and have you record your audio we could call you Guyovich :P

thinking emoji

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
sup it's Fake Labor Day and we've spent some of our eight hours for what we will bringing you our next episode

Episode 4 - Five Votes Down is a messy bitch of a epsiode and we've got a bunch of less-important things to dissect and put in context of LEO'S MARRIAGE

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
for the ~18 of you who actually follow our cast: there'll be a lull betwene this episode and the next as I head out to visit lovely Flint Michigan and its elevated concentrationts of industrila pollutants

i look forward to being even dumber for the next installment

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You'll be full of lead like a roman emperor.

Or a baby boomer.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol 48 hours after we obliquely mentioned his dumb rear end in context of Josh lyman

Rahm's back in the Newwwws

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The fact that you guys mentioned that libs are such loving boy scouts and never dream beyond winning an election reminded me of this loving tweet:

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/897586342930108416

e: and this loving account https://twitter.com/ifhillaryhad?lang=en

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yellowcar posted:

The fact that you guys mentioned that libs are such loving boy scouts and never dream beyond winning an election reminded me of this loving tweet:

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/897586342930108416

e: and this loving account https://twitter.com/ifhillaryhad?lang=en

It's such a recurring theme on the show, we never see our heroes outright win and win big. They either lose or achieve a bittersweet/Pyrrhic victory. It's like pure centrism incarnate, "you can't just WIN things and make things better!"

Hell, the big huge GIANT idea that they finally have about how to fix the country is "We can make college cheaper" (by making tuition tax deductible). And I can't remember, but I'm like 99% sure they don't even end up passing it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

WampaLord posted:

It's such a recurring theme on the show, we never see our heroes outright win and win big. They either lose or achieve a bittersweet/Pyrrhic victory. It's like pure centrism incarnate, "you can't just WIN things and make things better!"

Hell, the big huge GIANT idea that they finally have about how to fix the country is "We can make college cheaper" (by making tuition tax deductible). And I can't remember, but I'm like 99% sure they don't even end up passing it.

nope they completely abandon it. i think it actually gets mentioned in the last 100 days list which nothing on it gets accomplished either

i need to track down that episode and see just how big the list o' failure was

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

quote:

The staff enters the Oval Office where Bartlet advises them they negotiated a budget. The Republicans didn't get the Capital Gains cut, they didn't get the Tuition Tax Credit, but they get it next year if they can make it revenue neutral.

oh my loving god this show is peak liberalism

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh my loving god this show is peak liberalism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've caught up with this up to Proportional Response, and it's good, folks!

The thing about Proportional Response is that it's just so convenient that there's an empty piece of land for the US to bomb without drawing casualties, and that it's apparently okay for the President to bomb another country as long as he agonizes over it first.

A contrast to the scenario laid out in this episode is a short interlude in the recent James Patterson/Bill Clinton novel The President is Missing. In it, the President is called-in to the Situation Room because a big-shot leader of Al-Shabaab and a big-shot leader of Al Qaeda have met in Yemen, and the military wants approval to take them both out with a single missile strike.

The wrinkle, as it were, is that one of the leaders has brought their entire family with them - their wife and five children, ostensibly as a way to prevent them from being blown up whenever they surface in public, because the United States would never kill children, right? This is initially presented to the President as an impossible moral choice: if he orders the strike, five children die; if he doesn't, a major terrorist gets away scot-free. And yet we also go through this entire internal monologue where he figures out that NOT ordering the strike would be worse, because then it would lead all terrorists around the world to conclude that as long as you wear babies on your belt, you're immune to missile attacks:

So in the end, the President orders the strike, because apparently slaughtering kids is the more ethical choice than not.

This shift in rhetoric from 1999 to 2018 stood out to me because we've moved from creating a plot device to allow the President to bomb the Middle East without causing civilian casualties, to a plot device to allow the President to cause civilian casualties, and yet still making that the correct decision.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

This shift in rhetoric from 1999 to 2018 stood out to me because we've moved from creating a plot device to allow the President to bomb the Middle East without causing civilian casualties, to a plot device to allow the President to cause civilian casualties, and yet still making that the correct decision.

A shift in rhetoric? Madeleine Albright went on national TV in 1996 defending the deaths of half a million children in Iraq to send a message to Bad Man Saddam Hussein. Liberals have always been this way.

Also, really enjoying the podcast!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Oneiros posted:

A shift in rhetoric? Madeleine Albright went on national TV in 1996 defending the deaths of half a million children in Iraq to send a message to Bad Man Saddam Hussein. Liberals have always been this way.

Also, really enjoying the podcast!

also lmao that book is garbage even by airport paperback by-the-pound standards, thanks IDEOTV podcast bros for sparing me from reading it

there's also something to be read into how the control of the flow of information regarding these events has changed and democratized substantially even in the 19 years since TWW filmed, so there's more consciousness and spread of dissenting views as well as a generally more skeptical perception of the party line. At least in my head, but... liberals gonna lib u know

I survived my run-in with the frozen hollowed out north (it was actually p pleasant ) so Dave and I will be back on our bullshit this weekend thanks for the words of support y'all

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:siren: WE'RE BACK :siren:

weeoo weeeoo hey distract yourself from the fact that one half of the country is on fire and the other half is under water by listening to us talk about at least one of those topics almost completely by accident in the fifth episode of the worst wing

Episode 5 - The Crackpots and These Women is available for your earballs right now!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lollin at the cold open basketball game where it showed that the President has a Cool Black Friend that shows he totes has street cred and is "with it" through the use of a "non-traditional urban handshake"

that's like peak white liberal fantasy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh my loving god this show is peak obama

“but what if we reasoned with the republicans???”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can you post direct download links? I don't like how Soundcloud forces mevto stream and use data when I like to listen to podcasts at the park.