Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
ok so it wasn't THAT weekend.

it was A weekend.

So close to being done with this poo poo

also we're both OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
You're alive!

It's been awhile since I watched this episode, and I don't remember getting a rushed feeling from it, but your mentioning that gave me an idea.

I wonder if there was a misunderstanding or inversion of one of the foundations of the writing on this show after Sorkin left. He said over and over again that his responsibility was to entertain, implying that any similarity to politics was incidental. So it's understandable that events get compressed, expanded, or shunted off screen in service of entertainment.

After Sorkin, there are some episodes that are so thoroughly inspired by actual events that I wonder if the writers skip ahead, assuming everyone is already familiar with those events. They pitch this episode with "and people start passing out signs yada yada now it's a contested convention just like [last time that happened irl]". Which makes it the centre of the story, but they don't actually fill it in it for the benefit of people who aren't binging Classic C-SPAN. Sorkin-era handwaving but for the wrong reasons.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah it’s also a huge weakness where they eventually assume the audience is primarily made up of people like them and the characters they are badly writing: terrible beltway wonks who live, breathe and swim in this dogshit

now granted sorkin wrote that way too and is constantly condescending to viewers about it but at least he had a knack for making it, as you say, entertaining. or occasionally writing minor characters whose express purpose is to elucidate the weird political trivia behind the scenes that make the current drama actually dramatic instead of boring.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hoo boy it's the long, slow death of the show, bring on Season Seven babyyyy

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s7e1-da-ticket

merry early holidays to everyone, we're gonna crank out one more episode on Saturday

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
last week

Dave quit the caaaaast

now we're back together

smoke hash

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Do you have any idea of what you guys are going to do when S7 is done?

Can i suggest maybe not reviewing Madam Secretary but maybe having a quick pass over it (okay it's 6 season and most of it is padding poo poo but there are some gems of stupidity in it)?
It's far more minor than West-Wing and with an inferior West Wing-style liberal "vision of the world" and overall weaker but it's full of so many insane American liberal-only clichés, it's like a Tom Clancy novel written for 40 years old Hillary voters. The only thing close to it is that Clinton co-written book in which her character shows Putin a deep fake of him raping children. The main character is a former CIA interrogator (i would say torturer but she is wearing pantsuit in Washington), her husband is a NSA intelligence agent/politic science teacher/himbo trying to coup Not-Putin(actually a gay-friendly liberal but "it's Russia and he must play a strong guy, so gently caress the gay") and i stopped watching it after one of the season final cliffhanger, when a rocket was being shot at their limo. There is an episode (during Trump first year) were the president's behavior changes and he is acting in a way that can only be described as more "republican". They convince their follow democrats cabinet members to force him in medical leaves for "insanity" and it turns out he had the start of a brain tumor. But after that he is cured and they saved the day. Also tons of assassination plots going nowhere, really normal liberals plots and no material politics. It's insane but i lost interest in it when actual US politics became more entertaining (aka Trump). Guests includes: Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton, Colin Powell and I can totally believe that show was cancelled during the Trump years. It doesn't deserve an episode by episode review but season by season or just a quick overview would be nice. It's like the West-Wing failson. As an European watcher, i have always found the vision of the world in that show to be psychotically Manichean.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Dec 29, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Madam Suckretary

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Toplowtech posted:

Do you have any idea of what you guys are going to do when S7 is done?

Can i suggest maybe not reviewing Madam Secretary but maybe having a quick pass over it (okay it's 6 season and most of it is padding poo poo but there are some gems of stupidity in it)?
It's far more minor than West-Wing and with an inferior West Wing-style liberal "vision of the world" and overall weaker but it's full of so many insane American liberal-only clichés, it's like a Tom Clancy novel written for 40 years old Hillary voters. The only thing close to it is that Clinton co-written book in which her character shows Putin a deep fake of him raping children. The main character is a former CIA interrogator (i would say torturer but she is wearing pantsuit in Washington), her husband is a NSA intelligence agent/politic science teacher/himbo trying to coup Not-Putin(actually a gay-friendly liberal but "it's Russia and he must play a strong guy, so gently caress the gay") and i stopped watching it after one of the season final cliffhanger, when a rocket was being shot at their limo. There is an episode (during Trump first year) were the president's behavior changes and he is acting in a way that can only be described as more "republican". They convince their follow democrats cabinet members to force him in medical leaves for "insanity" and it turns out he had the start of a brain tumor. But after that he is cured and they saved the day. Also tons of assassination plots going nowhere, really normal liberals plots and no material politics. It's insane but i lost interest in it when actual US politics became more entertaining (aka Trump). Guests includes: Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton, Colin Powell and I can totally believe that show was cancelled during the Trump years. It doesn't deserve an episode by episode review but season by season or just a quick overview would be nice. It's like the West-Wing failson. As an European watcher, i have always found the vision of the world in that show to be psychotically Manichean.

maybe we can do a End of List episode that covers some knock offs / in-the-spirit-of west wing

we tried to watch madame Secretary and gave up almost immediately.

I have a couple ideas, but we’re both a bit more strapped for time clearly, and does the world really need more podcasts??

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I want to at least touch on Newsroom since that's also penned by Sorkin and is crazy in its own extremely fun way. Maybe not go episode-by-episode, but we'll at least do one episode about it. Aside from that, our post West Wing plans have always been up in the air.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait:

Madam Succretary

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
house of cards

(insert what's almost certainly a lot of 24/West Wing smash ups that failed)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
House of Sharts

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Newsroom would a good follow-up, even if it's not a detailed breakdown. I tried to do an ep-by-ep write-up and there's so much to riff on and get mad at that you could easily fill the time if you wanted to

House of Cards imo would be boring - the thing is put together just competently enough that while the politics are horrid, there's not a lot of comedy to be wrung out of it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The only really "funny" thing about House of Cards is that Spacey's character is a Democrat who runs on completely eliminating Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid and that's only "funny" because the real version of that is coming at some point.

ETA: I just remembered he proposes ending the major welfare programs in favor of a massive jobs program called like "Get America to Work" or something like that, just grabs the third rail of politics with both hands and yells "JOBS!"

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Dec 29, 2022

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah even if we kinda talk about these things i have no intention of giving any specific show more than a cursory look anyway.

I didn't watch TV for... too long a time, to have a command of anything about the 00s

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

maybe we can do a End of List episode that covers some knock offs / in-the-spirit-of west wing

we tried to watch madame Secretary and gave up almost immediately.

I have a couple ideas, but we’re both a bit more strapped for time clearly, and does the world really need more podcasts??
Yes it's downright horrible, an acquired taste of Hillary Clinton voters' pure madness.

Also the original British House of Cards is better than the US one(okay that's a matter of taste) and at least honest enough to have Francis Urquhart be a conservative.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Do an episode on spin city where the two of you act like it's 100% serious.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I kinda wanna do a short thing where we criticize Parks and Rec's comfy feel good lib shtick and its politics, but I don't know how much material is there.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

WampaLord posted:

The only really "funny" thing about House of Cards is that Spacey's character is a Democrat who runs on completely eliminating Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid and that's only "funny" because the real version of that is coming at some point.

ETA: I just remembered he proposes ending the major welfare programs in favor of a massive jobs program called like "Get America to Work" or something like that, just grabs the third rail of politics with both hands and yells "JOBS!"

There needs to be a phrase for real life constantly outpacing the most outrageous and grotesque attempts to parody it. I'm waiting for Cruelty Squad to be looked back upon as hopelessly idealistic utopian sci-fi.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WampaLord posted:

I kinda wanna do a short thing where we criticize Parks and Rec's comfy feel good lib shtick and its politics, but I don't know how much material is there.

You could switch to a pod-a-series format. Basically everything you need to know about Parks and Rec is in that episode where she meets Joe Biden.
And episode 1.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I say go through all of Sorkin's films. There's still more good ones than bad ones so it won't be a miserable experience for you guys.

I'm down for Studio 60 and Newsroom mainly because why not.

Once the Sorkin well is dry, maybe do other movies about real (or fake) politics/media. I don't think any political TV show besides Parks & Rec that's non-Sorkin is worth the effort.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 11:44 on Dec 31, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did Studio 60 come before or after West Wing?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It was definitely after West Wing. I know comparisons with 30 Rock are inevitable but it was such a grating show on its own merits. And more preachy than even The West Wing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for real, danish political drama borgen might be a good place to go next. borgen is a much better TV show and has had rather less of an impact, but it is almost as lib-brained as TWW

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

It was definitely after West Wing. I know comparisons with 30 Rock are inevitable but it was such a grating show on its own merits. And more preachy than even The West Wing.

yeah it was riding high on peak not-quite-facebook-times internet atheism too because Sorkin bit hard on the reaction against the bush era religious nuts.

"there can only be one show about SNL" is a popular take but 30 Rock was not a baffling confluence of seventeen coke-fueled ideas. it was only 2 coke-fueled ideas

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
holy poo poo wow we are STILL GOIN BABY

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s7e3-message-of-the-week

I really failed at being profound in the moment about the cultural reflection / replication that the West Wing provides its comfortable, a-material viewership but yeah.

long story short, consuming media uncritically is the short road to gettin' hegemonized

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Feb 3, 2023

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
welcome back! I was laughing at the "near the end of the show, I realized nothing had happened". seems like that's the show working well if it almost got you through the whole 42min

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's strong cable news energy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol we haven't even recorded yet and it's Going Great with this loving show

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol we haven't even recorded yet and it's Going Great with this loving show

lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thinking of u

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i remember Teaching The Controversy

wonder what happened to tho oh wait they run everything now

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s7e4-mr-frost

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also just putting the record here that Walk The Dinosaur is a fucjin S tier banger song, pigeonholed for far too long as a weird one hit wonder. that blast beat transition, dayum :sax:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The natsec arc has been dripping for a while now, but you guys never explicitly brought up the topical story of the day that was certainly the biggest inspiration for this poo poo storyline, which was the Valerie Plame affair.

I don't think it really helps make you guys talking about it less agonizing, considering how much you guys already hate it. It was a GOP scandal adapted for a fictional liberal administration; I guess there's a gross parallel between how Bush commuted Scooter Libby with Bartlet pardoning Toby. (I had to doublecheck the timeline; the series finale was a year before Bush protecting Cheney's cronies.)

Now I'm just suddenly reminded of the 2008 movie "Nothing but the Truth", which further abstracted the details of the scandal into a fictional story and effectively created a sympathetic narrative for Judith Miller, with liberal tropes. Gross.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
huh. So... Plame is the shuttle and Toby is Scooter Libby.

I guess I didn't make the connection but once you posted my wife was just "Yeah duh what'd think it was about??"

also I literally do not know much beyond the name Plame and the fact that Scooter went down for it, so... this tracks. TY for the post!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The name of Plame to Toby's shame

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Poll Plame

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember people being angry that this CIA agent got her cover blown.

But she's a CIA agent. They don't deserve anything, let alone pity or respect.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember people being angry that this CIA agent got her cover blown.

But she's a CIA agent. They don't deserve anything, let alone pity or respect.
The background of plamegate was the Iraq invasion, Plame's husband was a former diplomat and was supposed to have a "mission" in uranium rich Niger. The whole "Saddam is buying a nuke in Niger" plot was derailed when she wrote a memo telling her superior gently caress NO, DO NOT DRAG MY HUSBAND INTO VP CHENEY'S MADE UP poo poo. So of course the White House stroke back when it went public and of course, the US media made it about blowing a CIA agent cover, not about people of the CIA knowing the whole Nuclear Saddam thing was bullshit. Pretty impressive how they made the scandal about decorum and not the underlying truth it revealed, i will admit.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 12:08 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Happy Women's History Month everyone!!

just open mouth disbelief at some of the poo poo shoehorned into the second episode we consider today.