Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh also had Emma mah waife ver naice guest star because I felt very bad being dudes about this episode lol

Snizzipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wasn't sure by how you randomly mentioned Dennis Kucinich whether or not you were aware of his major position switch on abortion. Judging by the timeline, I don't think it was Elizabeth Kucinich who fixed him.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

I wasn't sure by how you randomly mentioned Dennis Kucinich whether or not you were aware of his major position switch on abortion. Judging by the timeline, I don't think it was Elizabeth Kucinich who fixed him.

I was not! mainly making a reference to his 2008 campaign

they own a farm across the river and Elizabeth is deffo cooler than his dumb rear end, we've met and chatted a couple times because I'm a soil science person by schooling if not by trade

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

they did a REAL POLL

for a FAKE DEBATE

quote:

In a post-debate poll conducted by MSNBC and Zogby International of 1,208 viewers, respondents thought that Santos won the debate, by 54 to 38 percent. However, in a pre-debate poll, 59 percent of viewers favored Santos, as opposed to 29 percent who thought Vinick was the better candidate. Santos beat Vinick by only three points on the question of who was more presidential, 42 to 39. Of respondents, 78 percent thought the debate moderator, Forrest Sawyer, did an "excellent" or "good" job. While respondents felt that the debate was unrealistic, they also preferred it to a real-life debate.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gently caress's sake, I didn't know that episode could get even worse

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

pokeyman posted:

gently caress's sake, I didn't know that episode could get even worse
The copy of the episode I have includes an intro with Ellen DeGeneres.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

The copy of the episode I have includes an intro with Ellen DeGeneres.

my wife just showed me the clip of the Ellen DeGeneres Tour of Warner Bros Studio shows that was being done simultaneously at the time. They had her interview Allison Janney in the oval office. and Allison Janney says "thank god I wasn't involved in the live debate episode" hahaha apparently most of the cast hated it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We did something different per our last episode's brainstorm session!

Because this episode of the West Wing was broadcast live, Dave and I watched it live and had thoughts about it in real time.

I made two versions of the recording:

One with the episode sound ON in the background

and

Another with the episode sound OFF in the background

so you can slop yourself up with a one stop shop, or, if you have your own recording and want the visuals (spoiler: very bad and dumb this time) to go along with the soundtrack, you can just sync us up.

this was fun to record and to edit, and I like to hope that the best boys and gaffers and boom operators who were stuck on this sinking ship in 2006 also got to broaden their skills by suffering through producing this in a similar fashion.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

wtf happened to ALAB

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

wtf happened to ALAB

how do you mean? it's been 6 months since they put one out but like, that's not crazy by their standards lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

just had the realization today that Matt Santos was basically proposing an early version of the war dystopia from MGS4 when he was talking about tracing individual bullets and guns

quote:

War has changed.

It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines.

War--and it's consumption of life--has become a well-oiled machine.

War has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons, use ID-tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities.

Genetic control, information control, emotion control, battlefield control…everything is monitored and kept under control.

just add nanomachines!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

maybe a stupid question but why did you think they didn't perform it live on air? they'd made every other insane choice, the one thing you can't fault this episode for is full commitment to the bit

was it the doing it twice? (once for each coast!)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, I'm still under the impression that the episode was performed live twice for both coasts, with the second one ending up being the canon one on the DVD and "previous" clips.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ok finished listening and that was great! thoroughly enjoyed

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

maybe a stupid question but why did you think they didn't perform it live on air? they'd made every other insane choice, the one thing you can't fault this episode for is full commitment to the bit

i'm not sure why other than i thought this show wasn't capable of it. it definitely adds a notch to the impressiveness of the actors' performances, knowing this was truly live. shame they didn't have better material and the thing felt like it was on fast forward, yet with tons of dead air.

Echo Chamber posted:

Yeah, I'm still under the impression that the episode was performed live twice for both coasts, with the second one ending up being the canon one on the DVD and "previous" clips.

from research, yes, this appears to be the case, which of course makes me wonder why they picked the second one. what happened in the first performance that they wanted to remove from history? we'll never know.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My :filez: copy might be the East Coast broadcast. Downloaded it during college. It was a contemporary rip from TV. The Ellen intro has a WCAU-DT Philadelphia watermark. But I'm still not a 100% sure.

Unfortunately I can't compare it to the West Coast version on the DVD. Oddly, it seems like time has caused random episodes from the two seasons I have on disc to be unplayable. Nothing of value was lost though. I hope my Simpsons DVDs are safe. :ohdear:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

something about how it could be "a live studio audience" versus "it's being viewed by people as it's performed". we talked ourselves into it and then back out of it lol.

we also flubbed our first shot atrecording because Wampa had the 43 min one and I had the 50 min one, it took us about 10 minutes to figure out anything was wrong though lmao. Generic Generic Generic Pablum Pablum oh uh, you're on... whose jobs? What jobs? uh oh...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We made it! Another two episodes in the bag!

These two take the cake by being offensive AND bland. Ellie Bartlet could have fixed the Cold War by getting shot in no man's land by both sides but Noooooo

i edited this on my laptop at work so apologies for anything fucky with the audio quality

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh also Martin Sheen out here betraying his EAST COAST ELITISM by using the phrase "waiting ON line" in his anecdote (as opposed to "waiting IN line") which is almost exclusively a New York thing. he definitely didn't pick that poo poo up at Notre Dame!!

i guess if you're from New Hampshire sound off on whether you use that horrid phrasing, while you're walkin' heah, eyyyy

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

listening to the latest episode I realized a 2023 campaign season of the west wing would do an entire story about "latinx". some new hire says it within earshot of jimmy smits who goes on a mini rant against it. janeane garofolo suddenly realizes that if they start saying latinx all the time it could make alan alda look bad because he won't say it, ???, speech

also I'd completely forgotten about the credential airhorn! now I miss it. here's some airhorn in lieu https://youtu.be/MAFGdHvHxpU?t=32s

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

if anyone is like me and first saw the west wing as a child, so the actual politics seemed like fiction and wasn't maddeningly frustrating and while I intellectually understand I don't have a visceral reaction even today thanks to the nostalgia, go watch "the diplomat" on netflix

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wtf there’s a Keri Russell show out? and it has Rufus Sewell??

…please don’t tell me it’s dumb and bad I don’t have any more brains for that.

we’re gonna miss this weekend recording cuz I am loving slammed. but on the plus side, I am an uncle again :3 another young warrior for our wasteland raider clan

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

pokeyman posted:

if anyone is like me and first saw the west wing as a child, so the actual politics seemed like fiction and wasn't maddeningly frustrating and while I intellectually understand I don't have a visceral reaction even today thanks to the nostalgia, go watch "the diplomat" on netflix
There are apparently two shows named that exact same way, a bbc show about British personal in Spain and the Netflix one about a US diplomat in England.

gently caress, Michael McKean is playing the president. Now I am going to have to watch the whole show, imagining the US president covered in tin foil, complaining about his scam artist of a brother.
Edit: gently caress, there is a discussion in episode 1 about respecting the phone calling "norms" and hierarchy and her husband getting the crowder's only one car treatment. I am loving dying.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Apr 30, 2023

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

it is exactly post-sorkin west wing. three consecutive "oh hey it's that actor!"s followed by two "rules-based order"s from one character in a single scene. and at first I think "well that's probably how that character would talk, good writing" but then I realize it's the show talking through the character and welp

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we’re gonna miss this weekend recording cuz I am loving slammed. but on the plus side, I am an uncle again :3 another young warrior for our wasteland raider clan

congrats!

Toplowtech posted:

There are apparently two shows named that exact same way, a bbc show about British personal in Spain and the Netflix one about a US diplomat in England.

oh whoops, my bad. I should've guessed that wasn't a unique name. yeah I mean the netflix one

quote:

gently caress, Michael McKean is playing the president. Now I am going to have to watch the whole show, imagining the US president covered in tin foil, complaining about his scam artist of a brother.

you and me both

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Started watching first episode of The Diplomat. Literally 5 minutes in and Keri Russell is saying that she wants to go be ambassador in Kabul, Afghanistan (instead of London where they want to send her) because:

"I'm hoping to save a shred of what we spent 2400 American lives building"

What exactly did we build? Other than like, another small corner of our American empire. Oh God this show's making me angry already, bad sign. Can I never turn off critical politics brain?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Started watching first episode of The Diplomat. Literally 5 minutes in and Keri Russell is saying that she wants to go be ambassador in Kabul, Afghanistan (instead of London where they want to send her) because:

What exactly did we build? Other than like, another small corner of our American empire. Oh God this show's making me angry already, bad sign. Can I never turn off critical politics brain?
Find the showrunners and start DMing them excerpts from The Jakarta Method.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I gave the show too much credit at the time by wondering if that was a nod to keri russell's character being a cia spook because there is no us ambassador to afghanistan, so she'd have been there "unofficially"?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I gave the show too much credit at the time by wondering if that was a nod to keri russell's character being a cia spook because there is no us ambassador to afghanistan, so she'd have been there "unofficially"?

Yeah, but apparently in the fiction of the show she was going to be the first official ambassador to Afghanistan, her husband was writing "Ambassador" on her business cards even before they learn about London.

Also I find it hilarious that the British prime minister is played by the same guy who played the British prime minister in Black Mirror who had to gently caress a pig.

The show's definitely entertaining and it doesn't grapple with politics as much as The West Wing does so there's less of those moments where you realize the show has no idea what it's talking about politically. Like all the stuff they say about trying to prevent a war with Iran is mostly straightforward and makes sense.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

The show's definitely entertaining and it doesn't grapple with politics as much as The West Wing does so there's less of those moments where you realize the show has no idea what it's talking about politically. Like all the stuff they say about trying to prevent a war with Iran is mostly straightforward and makes sense.

True. Still takes me out of it about once an episode though, enough so I wish they made up country names or something. I think if the Federated States sent a new ambassador to the Combined Monarchy it'd let me turn off the eye rolls.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
don't watch shows while the WGA is on strike IMO

no content allowed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

True. Still takes me out of it about once an episode though, enough so I wish they made up country names or something. I think if the Federated States sent a new ambassador to the Combined Monarchy it'd let me turn off the eye rolls.

Yeah it's very "modern" what with referencing Ukraine war and the Solemani assassination and whatnot. Honestly I think the biggest thing the show has going for it that sets it far far apart from the West Wing is that Michael McKean's President isn't meant to be respected in the same way Martin Sheen's President is. He's crass, he's kinda dumb, he's aging ungracefully (ok, TWW did a bit of that with Bartlet's MS but not for long), and he has to be "handled" by all the people around him to make sure he makes a good decision. That alone sets it worlds apart from the GodKingDad of TWW's President. Also the dialogue is a lot more natural sounding and less Sorkin-banter.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
nearly passing out from apathy regarding these two episodes

don't watch, who care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oai1V7kaFBk

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it is my 39th birthday and you know what i'm doin

I'm gettin mad about nuclear power, baby!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The chariots of fire theme is playing, you're getting so close

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A point I wanted to make during our recording but I forgot about it:

At one point in the second episode during a Sit Room scene we get Bartlet interrogating the military leaders about various details about troop numbers, the logistics of getting them there, support units, etc. He then asks about what they'll be wearing and one of the military dudes goes "uh, I think green and black is still in fashion" and then Bartlet goes on a big Smart Boy rant about how they're going to the 50th parallel in November and it's going to be snowing, so what kind of coats will they be wearing? And the military guys get all serious and go "we'll find out sir"

And it's just a picture perfect little liberal fantasy moment. "Our ideal President would be so smart that he could figure out the details so he can do imperialism more efficiently!"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

how far our bright boy bartlet has come from the days when he didn't know that "wet team" meant blood

maybe there was a canadian writer who remembered sending troops to afghanistan in the green camo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I got the clip but was struggling for where to shove it in.

unfortunately because he’s an orthodox economist President Dad Bartlet's education includes zero chapters of books covering Coats and/or Linen.

which is, to be critically supportive of Special K, the absolute wrong fabric for a subarctic environment

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
okey dokey I'm unsure whether us talking about the most boring television imaginable is better or worse than watching it

Listener, YOU decide!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

okey dokey I'm unsure whether us talking about the most boring television imaginable is better or worse than watching it

Listener, YOU decide!

Ogre Debate: Let Us Suffer Together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

unequivocally better listening to you talk about it.

the possibly unintentionally funny scene came immediately to mind once someone said "hand". so good

I remember the vinnick "make sure my day is fully scheduled!" line coming after some strategy talk about "should we just hide and wait for the radioactive cloud to blow over?", and that was him defiantly refusing to cower from the american people. but I can totally see how it comes across as goofy needless exposition. also even if he did "hide" it would be 12 straight hours of "photos only, no questions" events or whatever.