Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

Happy 25th birthday Everquest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egErjaxXK-c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember someone telling me that the music in EQ was bad so I turned it off before ever playing it. :smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The EverQuest official YouTube posted a 25th anniversary video and used some generic music instead of the iconic theme who's running the show over there.

I think the only older (and superior) model they show in the entire thing is Cazic-Thule at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQqeXSdOKf8

edit: it's nuts how much uglier the game got when they tried to modernize the graphics

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 17, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember someone telling me that the music in EQ was bad so I turned it off before ever playing it. :smith:

that person is a monster

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's nuts how much uglier the game got when they tried to modernize the graphics

they put them out at that weird point in video game CGI's history between "chunky set of boxes that represents what a human ought to look like" and "authentically human-looking model," so they've got incredibly strong uncanny valley energy. i believe shadows of luclin was also before inverse kinematics became a widespread industry standard, so you've got the top shelf combination of plasticine people with stiff action figure animations

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Eimi posted:

AFAIK FFXI back in the day had a max of about 4-5k people per server. I don't remember seeing more than 2k online on a server at once, but these are 20 years old memories so... But you absolutely can make an mmo server feel packed and lively with that many people if you design the game properly. Hell I don't know how you do an old school more field based mmo and make it work with more than that.
FFXI was on the PS2 and didn't have the hard drive space for too many zones so the zones tended to be multi use. Nothing was instanced either so if you were levelling in a zone there could be a group next to you hunting a notorious monster.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I said come in! posted:

that person is a monster

It wasn't until years later playing EQ2 I was like 'hey some of these themes are catchy' and somebody was like 'yeah it's just remixes of the EQ themes'.

Truth is I turned them off the day I first installed it and forgot they were even a thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was looking at what Everquest 1 & 2 currently offers for expansions, and they are too expensive, and come across to me as very pay to win at first glance. But the people still left playing are probably all shelling out for the most expensive editions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Yep

I got a friend that wants to go to their rebranded sony convention where you meet the devs and lol

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fippy-fest-2024-tickets-846467957447

https://www.darkpawgames.com/fippy-fest#eq2

It is only pay piggies left

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Also eq2 keeps doing progression servers which is cool

but then they do pvp servers and add in an exclusive preorder mount with stats that if you don't have, you are basically fodder for the first 30 or 40 levels

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish I could find more of these pics from EQ conventions back in the day.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Riot MMO Reset

https://twitter.com/MarcMerrill/status/1770479141600874553

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

They really are making a mmo in the year post 2015 or whatever. Now all they need to do is let you donate big wads of cash for ingame poo poo that is never going to exist.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

It really didn't look like we were going to see anything for several years yet anyway.

Quite funny that it's ignited a bunch of debate on the social medias cause a bunch of people are saying that wow with a riot coat of paint is exactly what they DID want actually.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

The initial vision just wasn’t different enough from what you can play today.

We don’t believe you all want an MMO that you’ve played before with a Runeterra coat of paint

Your cash cow is casualized Dota of course they want that. Why would you poach a top WoW guy if you didn't want your own WoW.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Your cash cow is casualized Dota of course they want that. Why would you poach a top WoW guy if you didn't want your own WoW.

Not just LoL, but Valorant, TFT, and Legends of Runeterra are all essentially other games with some twists to the formula and extreme levels of polish. What's more, basically all of the successful AAA MMOs of the last twenty years have all been "WoW, but with <setting> coat of paint." What an incredible misread of the market.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm glad they fired the wow guy for making wow. Now I can finally see what an MMO from the creators of Star Wars: Squadrons and Mass Effect: Andromeda looks like.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Well I see why ghostcrawler left, let's see how many more years they can throw money down the money hole of making a mmo and redesigning it from scratch because they can't figure out a direction.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd actually bet this is more that their internal alphas and playtests weren't lighting fires under anyone, so they'd rather go back to the drawing board instead of spending several more years trying to build off of a flawed design

it's certainly possible they're being moronic and convincing themselves that they can come up with some incredibly new never before seen iteration on the MMO genre, but i think it's likely this is more for investors as a way of softening the blow of having to throw out several years of work to start from scratch

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vermain posted:

i'd actually bet this is more that their internal alphas and playtests weren't lighting fires under anyone, so they'd rather go back to the drawing board instead of spending several more years trying to build off of a flawed design

it's certainly possible they're being moronic and convincing themselves that they can come up with some incredibly new never before seen iteration on the MMO genre, but i think it's likely this is more for investors as a way of softening the blow of having to throw out several years of work to start from scratch

idk, this reminds of that one poster in the LoL thread talking about how Riot kept pushing back LoR over and over again because it wasn't ~*up to their standards*~. The end result of which is Hearthstone beat them to market and LoR has never been profitable.

Game development is hard and MMO development even more so. But it really seems like there's a perfectionist streak somewhere in Riot's process that does more harm than good.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Which it ridiculous because their most successful game was like, fine at launch. It was all right.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We were never going to see any information about that game this decade but it is nice of them to confirm.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Reminded me of that too, a world where runeterra took the hearthstone market before it came out and all the hearthstone players were too deep into sunkcost to consider anything else and blizzard would of had to make their virtual cards less profitable or get compared unfavorably to runeterra's generous model.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This new person they have leading the MMO, his only experience is working on the least popular Bioware games that are attributed to being Biowares downfall. So yeah.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

This new person they have leading the MMO, his only experience is working on the least popular Bioware games that are attributed to being Biowares downfall. So yeah.

anthem mmo confirmed

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vermain posted:

Just copy everything from Age of Wushu and slap a LoL coat of paint over it. There, what was so hard about it, jeez.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

man this game isnt going to be made

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Personally i just wanted Puzzle Pirates but i got to be Teemo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I wanted was World of Warcraft with Runeterra coat of paint, and Riots experience for live service and world building.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Riot's world building spills into the MMO scene with the same tenacity that it spills into League of Legends - both taxed to contain it

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s so bizarre to hear people praise riot games’ worldbuilding. There has to be something wrong with you to think that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

an iksar marauder posted:

It’s so bizarre to hear people praise riot games’ worldbuilding. There has to be something wrong with you to think that.

It was fun when it was goofy and got stupid when they wanted to make it cohesive and serious. rip chucat

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I always thought their worldbuilding was just throwing every trope at the wall and seeing what sticks and once all the bases were covered just expanding from there?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Netflix show came out and suddenly tons of people all needed to pretend to be insanely invested in The Deep Lore.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I always thought their worldbuilding was just throwing every trope at the wall and seeing what sticks and once all the bases were covered just expanding from there?

Basically, yeah. The first few years after release, they were whipping out new champions so fast there wasn't time to put any thought into a coherent setting. Its was just Knight Man, Evil Knight Man, Evil Knight Ghost, Ninja, Ronin, Sexy Pirate Lady, etc. with the barest threads of a world around them.

It wasn't till 2014 that they slowed down and started trying to build the IP out.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

1stGear posted:

Basically, yeah. The first few years after release, they were whipping out new champions so fast there wasn't time to put any thought into a coherent setting. Its was just Knight Man, Evil Knight Man, Evil Knight Ghost, Ninja, Ronin, Sexy Pirate Lady, etc. with the barest threads of a world around them.

It wasn't till 2014 that they slowed down and started trying to build the IP out.

the early champions were "guy from dota", "other guy from dota", "a character that appears in the warcraft 3 custom map entitled 'dota'"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can't wait for the release in 2034 and the "what went wrong?" retrospective videos in 2035.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The mmorpg curse continues.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I did like the Netflix show and would be down for some magitech mmo shenanigans but this is like one step above pantheon on the “likely to actually launch” scale from what I’ve seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Predicting people will trash talk brighter shores all year but it will be the only new MMO to come out in 2024 and everyone with MMO brain will play it for two months anyways lmao