Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

That is yet another in a long line of Korean pay to win garbage, no?

No, this isn't one of those games. Does that mean its good though? Korean reception would point to no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hra Mormo posted:

The most sublime MMO experience is immediately at launch, or preferably earlier during beta, when nobody knows what the gently caress is up and the game is at it's absolute jankiest.

Absolutely this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

The most sublime MMO experience is immediately at launch, or preferably earlier during beta, when nobody knows what the gently caress is up and the game is at it's absolute jankiest.

I am kinda sad that Lost Ark in the west didn't get to have this moment. Many players already played the game on Korea or Russian servers, and how to best optimize through the game was already out there on day 1 with guides because of it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

That is yet another in a long line of Korean pay to win garbage, no?

Even the animation looks like poo poo

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Sounds like a bunch of mad beta-keyless beta manlets :kermit sippin his tea:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn't get a beta key, after all of the support (through the cash shop) I gave Lost Ark, Amazon is gonna do me dirty like this????

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Reign of Guilds has gone into early access as of today, anyone planning on dipping their toes in the water?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I didn't get a beta key, after all of the support (through the cash shop) I gave Lost Ark, Amazon is gonna do me dirty like this????

Did you check your spam folder

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

kedo posted:

Reign of Guilds has gone into early access as of today, anyone planning on dipping their toes in the water?

a mortal online clone is not something i thought i would ever see

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

kedo posted:

Maybe if the price dropped to $20 or less.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

go back to original Guild Wars style "take any 8 skills available to you" and I will love it forever

Based on what we've seen of new mmo releases in the past decade it will either be a gacha game, a survival game, or it will never actually come out.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
The youtube algo blessed me with this guy who dropped a whole Ultima Online lofi album. I didn't know how badly I needed this in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Tb4RlcUtE

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

No Britain fellowship? Left out the best song
(Yes it's from Ultima 7 but was in UO too)

https://youtu.be/ufwoVqH5T7Q

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Kevin Bacon posted:

ill probably buy and play that game even though it looks like dogshit

I was sorting through old stuff and found the Tabula Rasa Collector's Edition box the other day. gently caress.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Strotski posted:

No Britain fellowship? Left out the best song
(Yes it's from Ultima 7 but was in UO too)

https://youtu.be/ufwoVqH5T7Q

Isn't it in there?

He posted an hour loop of the Britain music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGPhVsBjryI

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Which one is the one worth playing, Aion Classic, or regular Aion?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Neither lol. That game was terrible even at launch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I decided on Classic, I just wanted to play something ultra grindy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Aion was a beautiful game but hampered by horrible design decisions, like trusting your system clock to determine how long you could fly.

I also don't recall it being terrible grindy? It did lack enough quests at certain levels, but the cheating in pvp drove me away.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Was Aion the one with horrible faction balance due to everyone wanting to play on the evil side versus the good side?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I think that was World of Warcraft

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

Was Aion the one with horrible faction balance due to everyone wanting to play on the evil side versus the good side?

it was on the server my friend chose, but the main content was in being the good side anyway because there were random portal spawns in leveling areas that led to same level areas of the other side, and they had a very limited number of players that could pass through before they closed

so you'd easily find portals, and then go there and just slaughter everyone, because you were 3-5 levels higher because they had grind problems due to population, it was absolutely amazing lol

i dunno how it played after the first week i think numbers fell of real fast because there was no "endgame" but i never even got there, but that first week was so stupid lmao

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i played rf online briefly and like 90% of players wanted to be in the cool imperial robot faction. the alternatives were so uninspired i couldn't blame them - catholic space elves and tech-savvy space gnomes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hi just popping in here to say Aion was a loving awful game. I played it at launch and thought it was trash. Then many years passed and I thought to myself, "Perhaps young kedo was too harsh on the game, or maybe it has improved with time, let's give it another shot?"

But no, it's still trash.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

rift was supposedly pretty good in some ways and im a little sad i missed the boat on that before it got totally butchered

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
aion was the first and the last mmo i actually bought at launch. never again. i might try a mmo at launch if it's f2p and getting really good reviews now lol

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i played rf online briefly and like 90% of players wanted to be in the cool imperial robot faction. the alternatives were so uninspired i couldn't blame them - catholic space elves and tech-savvy space gnomes.
Hey bellato was the coolest race, all I ever wanted was to pilot a mech in mmo and they sorta had that. Too bad it cost a fortune to repair the mech and it sucked and the real tryhards were on the elven side cause magic nuked everything.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

rift was supposedly pretty good in some ways and im a little sad i missed the boat on that before it got totally butchered

Rift was great at launch and I had a ton of fun with the game, though I admittedly only played for a few months and never got to the endgame. They took all the good parts of WoW and then added in open world events. Combat was satisfying if I recall correctly, and the events were a fun challenge.

It has aged pretty well last I checked (a few years ago), but there's practically no one playing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the best part of rift was the goon drama

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rift had an incredible endgame, leading a raiding guild in 2010-11 or so was easily the best MMO experience I’ve ever had. It wasn’t terribly unique but it was the zenith of the tab target genre. Fantastic classes too, stuff like Chloromancer and the Bard classes really added a lot to the trinity by integrating different types of support and healing into big groups

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Rift launch and the first expansion were some S tier MMO experiences. Don't recall any goon drama and I raided a bit with the goon guild.

The builds were also very unique and a lot of fun. I especially liked being a healer as a mage with the chloromancer build. The expansion added in a melee mage which was also a ton of fun.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mustang posted:

Rift launch and the first expansion were some S tier MMO experiences. Don't recall any goon drama and I raided a bit with the goon guild.

The builds were also very unique and a lot of fun. I especially liked being a healer as a mage with the chloromancer build. The expansion added in a melee mage which was also a ton of fun.

The server selection was the goon drama

I made a guild, which was the guild of 'we don't want to wait 4-8 hours in que to play'

the self declared main goon guild was very upset with us about this and kept lashing out in the thread

then they imploded and the 'splinter guild' i had made became the official one and did raiding

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am also gonna go out on a limb, although it has been years, that my friends and I that made the other guild also didn't want to play with certain people like bobfrommarketing who were in the main goon guild

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kevin Bacon posted:

I think that was World of Warcraft

also Warhammer: Age of Reckoning
also SWTOR I think?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

also SWTOR I think?

Pure Light Side Imperial Agent was the best story. And the best space ship.

Cardboard Fox posted:

The general thinking is that "hardcore" gamers prefer monstrous/inhuman/evil characters while "casual" players prefer human looking/good ones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

throne and liberty beta starts tomorrow. a goon hooked me up with a code. Will share feelings about it here. There is an NDA but lmao you can literally just watch the korean version on twitch and its the exact same game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've heard on the internet that it's bombing p. hard in korea so it's probably getting shut down relatively soon unless it does insanely well abroad lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon is running the international version, so it's going to face plant into a pile of poo poo.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I assume the guilds they invited in (again) will just do the same thing as before and take over any of the events. The main story quest takes you around and even the early zones will have pvp events where every one is hostile so when I did it I was getting one shot by some beta max level people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I said come in! posted:

throne and liberty beta starts tomorrow. a goon hooked me up with a code. Will share feelings about it here. There is an NDA but lmao you can literally just watch the korean version on twitch and its the exact same game.

I weirdly want to try this but really just on console because I could use another controller mmo