Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That did get me to look up how far along Shards of Britannia is and apparently they released some time ago, but with an incomplete map. What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Well, I bounced off of Throne and Liberty beta so hard that I'm wondering if I'm just over MMOs in general?
Maybe it is because it is just the En version of an already well established game but I just felt overwhelmed and rushed (even bearing in mind it was just a beta). Maybe I'm just getting old idk

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just stopped playing WoW:SOD because of guild drama and time requirements to keep up with raiding. I'm almost 40 and the thought of being in discord with people arguing about loot makes me want to jump out a window.

I'm back to FF14 where I can log in and play however much I want with a small group of friends. It feels nice.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I'm in this boat too after playing every MMO under the sun for the last 20 years. Most recently, sticking with New World until the community finally admitted to itself it's circling the drain. I've accepted that the kinds of MMOs I like (subscription based, no cash shop) don't really exist anymore and the ones that do exist are basically just second jobs for people with enough time to do that for fun. I don't begrudge the folks who still enjoy those at all but the loop there just feels like a huge waste of my increasingly limited gaming time. I'm aware of and have played GW2 and other "horizontal progression" games but cash shops make the time wasting components of those games glaringly obvious too.

I've also realized that all the while I've been using my limited vidya game time playing games that aren't really MMOs, but are really just the good parts of MMOs, namely The Division 2 and surprisingly, Fortnite. So I can just stick with those and get the same happy chemicals without mindlessly collecting bear asses.

I guess what I'm getting at is, for all of the faults of "live service gaming", when it's done right it can provide the same sense of progression that MMOs used to but with core gameplay that's actually fun of it's own merit. This might be why people largely don't care about the genre anymore.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

EverCraft Online is having a full-weekend alpha test starting in a few hours.

There's a thread over this way: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018831

I've enjoyed the few community alphas they've run so far, and I'll probably be dropping in for some of this weekend's event. Game is heavily inspired by EQ, and IMO is in a much better state than Monsters & Memories. It's also much much more approachable for new players / those without overwhelming nostalgia for EQ. The voxel (minecraft-y) art is definitely a love-it or hate-it thing, but even if you don't like it in screenshots, you might very well be surprised by how decent it looks in-game - don't let that put you off.

Also, shoutout to Bognar, who is a fellow goon and is on their dev team.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pandaal posted:

I'm in this boat too after playing every MMO under the sun for the last 20 years. Most recently, sticking with New World until the community finally admitted to itself it's circling the drain. I've accepted that the kinds of MMOs I like (subscription based, no cash shop) don't really exist anymore and the ones that do exist are basically just second jobs for people with enough time to do that for fun. I don't begrudge the folks who still enjoy those at all but the loop there just feels like a huge waste of my increasingly limited gaming time. I'm aware of and have played GW2 and other "horizontal progression" games but cash shops make the time wasting components of those games glaringly obvious too.

I've also realized that all the while I've been using my limited vidya game time playing games that aren't really MMOs, but are really just the good parts of MMOs, namely The Division 2 and surprisingly, Fortnite. So I can just stick with those and get the same happy chemicals without mindlessly collecting bear asses.

I guess what I'm getting at is, for all of the faults of "live service gaming", when it's done right it can provide the same sense of progression that MMOs used to but with core gameplay that's actually fun of it's own merit. This might be why people largely don't care about the genre anymore.

When monsters and memories comes out I really think I might just sub, and stay subbed, regardless of how much I actually play, because it's like we're just going to have to use the patronage model to will a traditional MMO into existence. I'd have to find out they're all scamming us or vile racists for me not to just end in "look, just keep working away on what is essentially a historical recreation of what a MMO used to be".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YerDa Zabam posted:

Well, I bounced off of Throne and Liberty beta so hard that I'm wondering if I'm just over MMOs in general?
Maybe it is because it is just the En version of an already well established game but I just felt overwhelmed and rushed (even bearing in mind it was just a beta). Maybe I'm just getting old idk

Throne and Liberty just isn't a good game. It flopped in Korea pretty quickly, so I don't know why Amazon thinks bringing it over here is a good idea.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

When monsters and memories comes out I really think I might just sub, and stay subbed, regardless of how much I actually play, because it's like we're just going to have to use the patronage model to will a traditional MMO into existence. I'd have to find out they're all scamming us or vile racists for me not to just end in "look, just keep working away on what is essentially a historical recreation of what a MMO used to be".

Same. That’s the only game on the horizon that seems likely to really feel like a proper MMO without all the stuff that makes modern games so miserable. I don’t even care if they launch in a threadbare EA, I just want to subscribe and slowly level a shaman over the course of years instead of the breakneck rush to the end pace that characterizes everything now, and the devs seem to genuinely understand how important the journey to cap was in EQOA and other similar titles

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ehud posted:

I just stopped playing WoW:SOD because of guild drama and time requirements to keep up with raiding. I'm almost 40 and the thought of being in discord with people arguing about loot makes me want to jump out a window.

That's why my FF14 raid group is a bunch of casual players who struggle to find 90 minutes a week we're all available. I'd rather wipe with these chucklefucks than succeed with competent strangers. Most of the time, anyway. Sometimes it gets frustrating and I need to remind myself I actually like these people.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

YerDa Zabam posted:

It was a half assed attempt at an mmo that demonstrated scaling in theory. That's it. Everything else about it was basically on par with "look at our shiny unreal engine animations!" mobile games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like gw2 raids existing primarily as a solid way to get gold and gear in a game that has like one billion solid ways to get gold and gear, it's more laid-back than any other raid environment I've played in including even FFXIV's. too bad there haven't been any new ones since path of fire, they started making strikes instead (similar to trials in FFXIV) which are OK but have noticeably less resources and care put into them than raids did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anyone still playing Mechwarrior Online? Does that even really count as an MMO? It just came up in a talk with some friends about old MMOs that are still trundling along and I was like oh yeah, I played the crap out of that beta and then like 2 hours of live before the lovely balance changes killed my interest. GHOST HEAT, lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I post in the MWO thread some times but don't know too many people that still play it.

MW5 is what most people moved to, but their latest DLC and their plans to make MW5: clans is just lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Both MW5, and MWO ended up being pretty disappointing.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Anyone still playing Mechwarrior Online? Does that even really count as an MMO? It just came up in a talk with some friends about old MMOs that are still trundling along and I was like oh yeah, I played the crap out of that beta and then like 2 hours of live before the lovely balance changes killed my interest. GHOST HEAT, lol

yes we play like everyday lol

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone playing the Evercraft alpha this weekend? I’m sadly out of town (like the one weekend I’m out of town in the last 6 months :doh:), so if anyone has a trip report to share I’d love to hear it!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

kedo posted:

Anyone playing the Evercraft alpha this weekend? I’m sadly out of town (like the one weekend I’m out of town in the last 6 months :doh:), so if anyone has a trip report to share I’d love to hear it!

quick trip report.

this is my 2nd time playing the alpha as a super casual player. The first time around, I put in about 45mins total after struggling to find my guild trainer as a human wizard and dying to spiders trained onto me, then I lost my corpse. they've definitely nailed that aspect of EQ.

this time around I made an ogre warrior. Really liked their town. Sort of a hybrid between Oggok and Halas. killed some gnolls, got a nice dull 2h sword upgrade to my starter weapon, bought some bags, etc. was fun.

still ambivalent about the visual design. just not a fan of the minecraft-esque characters although the voxel world is pretty charming and obviously has had a ton of love put into it.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
my project 1999 guild uses dkp but they're just treated like general effort coins. you level a shared character for other people to use, you get dkp. you mentor a new recruit, you get dkp. you do X role in a fight, you get dkp. it's all automated and incredibly chill, you can just do stuff you like, not do stuff you don't like, and get loot which took the combined effort of 50-100 people to obtain

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I just gave the alpha a very quick try as an Ogre Shaman. It looks and feels good. I enjoyed scribing and memorizing my first two spells, which I didn’t get until I handed the relevant class guild leader a note. The city feels very layered and deep but is fairly intuitive to navigate - really reminds me of, like above, EQOA’s Halas mixed with Oggok, dug into a icy hill but full of warm, comfy rooms and spacious Ogre feast halls. I’m just sad that neither Evercraft nor Monsters and Memories have a Barbarian race, Barbarian/Generic Tall Northman Race shaman is my favorite class in these

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I just gave the alpha a very quick try as an Ogre Shaman. It looks and feels good. I enjoyed scribing and memorizing my first two spells, which I didn’t get until I handed the relevant class guild leader a note. The city feels very layered and deep but is fairly intuitive to navigate - really reminds me of, like above, EQOA’s Halas mixed with Oggok, dug into a icy hill but full of warm, comfy rooms and spacious Ogre feast halls. I’m just sad that neither Evercraft nor Monsters and Memories have a Barbarian race, Barbarian/Generic Tall Northman Race shaman is my favorite class in these

Looks like they do, just hasn't been added yet:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh dope I totally missed that, must just be monsters and memories. Either way I was mostly ignoring Evercraft for Monsters and Memories but after tooling around a tiny bit it’s definitely on my radar. Seems like they’ve got a robust and efficient system for building areas and implementing systems and thus might actually release in a sane time frame. Very curious to find out if the class structure honors the older system and Shaman focuses on offheals and powerful buffs/debuffs, Enchanters have weird utility and abilities that don’t quite fit into the modern trinity, etc. I’m assuming it does and interested to see how they make that feel both good and modern, which they seem to have done well with the starting experience

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I worry about these eq remakes

every year more and more people that like eq die from old age

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

we are all old as hell lol

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My Evercraft Online trip report:

Good:
It's literally EverQuest

Bad:
It's literally EverQuest

If/when this game goes to charge money, I wonder if Daybreak will come after them, for the name if nothing else.

I'm a huge EQ nerd. I have serious brain worms with EQ. But even I know that not all its design choices were good ones. There are some things the MMO landscape has learned, that you can still have without turning it into a themepark. "Baby's first MMO" mistakes like "send everyone to kill 4 bears, but there's only 4 bear spawn points, and they only drop the thing you need 10% of the time" nonsense.

There's also some UI annoyances, that can all be chalked up to "it's pre-alpha dude". But hopefully stuff like searching and sorting in merchants. Also trying to sort through vendor spells is annoying (if they got the trainer UI, that'd be so much better, just have it poop out scrolls instead), as well as things to let you know if you've learned them or not already. All minor crap though.

Seems stable enough, and the answer to any "how does X work?" is "however EverQuest did it". I'd hope that get away from the boring trope that ever single MMO starts with of "hey you're in a forest, there's a snow zone and a desert zone too". Put in the high fantasy stuff from the start, instead of just dogs / rats / skeletons. It's just boring. But meh, that's just one of pet peeves - but it does stop me from even bothering with a lot MMOs.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think one thing I miss about EQ was the slower pace and just hanging out with a group in the same place for a while. The slower pace meant you could actually chat with your group, whereas modern MMOs need you doing your max DPS rotation and you don't have the chance to chat much.

Instances are pretty boring too because you just go in the same straight line to the end. Miss the open-ended public dungeons of EQ as well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pax dei trip report

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

pax dei trip report

lmao

lol not at all surprised. I know another goon who is in the current test and I will have to check in with them and see what they thought. Or they can post in this thread.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, it's still a long long way from cooked, even though it looks pretty nice.

I guess it is an alpha (whatever that means) but I've no idea what the MMO angle is since it just drops you into a typical survival type of scenario. They have underlined the multi player MMO angle so I should really investigate. Gonna have a dig through the discord and see how to join up as the single player life wasn't much fun today. Here's what I discovered as a lone player..

Crafting is not explained, some stuff unlocks other stuff, but no indication what. Even just chopping some trees is a loving pain as you often end up just flailing at it.
The few things I've unlocked have taken a lot of time and haven't really given me much. No armor, no building stuff other that the basic benches etc. Just unlocked a bow, but to build it needs stuff that I've no idea how to get. That's a general frustration tbh. Again, I guess because it is an alpha.
Oh, no crafting from storage. Some games release fully in the same state, either way it is unforgivable imo (looking at you Nightingale)
Crafting can fail! gently caress this bullshit forever, either unlock it, or not, I don't want to gamble.
Unless I'm missing it, you either craft 1 item, or the whole stack. I can see no way to do only a few, it is 1 or all.
You have to sit and wait for the stuff to complete (or not). lmao

I may be doing it wrong, but my plot that I have put down isn't the re-spawn. The re-spawn isn't that far away, but it is annoying. You drop your stuff if you die (I loving hate that) and even though you don't have to go back to the exact spot to get it all back, it is close enough to your grave that while you try and grab you poo poo, the same pack of wolves will kill you again. Ugh.
Only combat I've done is stabbing rabbits with a pointy stick. Stabbing an old boar with a pointy stick, and being murdered by 3 wolves. Repeatedly.

Plays smoothly and looks pretty but I've got a high end system, I think it might not be the same for lower rigs maybe.

I'll post back again once I join a guild since a few of these things (and the grind) will be improved I hope.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 23, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I recently upgraded my system and just lol

motion blur default on

to turn it off you check 'show motion blur'

and it looks horrible with it on

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Really? Huh, that's weird. It looked fine once I deselected it. Definitely a smeary woozy-fest before though.
Oh frame generation was causing small things like butterfly's and those pesky rabbits to have trails following them like I'd just dropped some shrooms irl

So, I thought I'd try joining a guild since single player is a chore.
The in game guild finder doesn't say if the ones listed are on a any particular server. The advertisements have no info at all other than the name and player count. Most are 1 or 2 players, max I've seen is 9. Looks like I'm teaming up with some random Gamers. gently caress me

--edit--

Just remembered that I have lots of good games I can be playing instead, gently caress this poo poo.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 23, 2024

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So is it just like nightingale but worse, is it more like lif?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nightingale is far far better.
Or this is far far worse depending on how you see it I guess.

I managed about 8-10 hours in Nightingale until the crafting just killed it for me. I can imagine giving it another go at some point. It had some good ponts and some of it was fun.In fact it had it's second update today I thing, and fixes a fair few things that needed fixing.
Pax Dei needs much more work imo. Maybe in a year or so, idk, it is just very under cooked at the moment. Maybe the fact that they have a 100,000 player test going skewing expectations. I've tested out games that are in a worse state, but it is usually very low key and small scale. IIRC they are supposedly releasing within this year? That'd surprise me, even if it was only into early access.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
EA was supposed to be within a quarter. Honestly I thought pax dei was an actual MMO not asurvivalcraft with an service component so I'm not even sure what's going on

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
The Discord Community basicly ignores me because they all drink the coolaid but the game needs some things:

• Claims need to be square, idealy attached to a global grid (Thanks Satasfactory)
  • Claims need to stop blocking resources, or resources need to block claims. I was watching the entire playerbase ask "Where is clay" as its A) to hard to see, or B) not spawning, or c) not enough is spawning
  • Claims are to small in general, I see people teaming up to build forts and other stuff, global grid + larger claims mean we could make cities
  • Animal Populations are just tiny
  • Resources are very uneven for a game about them
  • The world is actully to small OR to many players per map, this could be just the noob areas.

With only the building system and some other limited stuff in play right now things could change, but right now everyone wants to claim next to water, to get limited clay, to build walls and forts that turn out to be circles and they start blocking resource spawns.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I was discussing this with other people

but small claim games make me have not good feelings when it comes to what the area will look like

it will be suburbia, a hellscape of individual castle owners, and never looking like a town

unless you allow for larger spaces for groups, then it has a chance to

What I am saying is all the games with individual claims tend to look just as bad as UO did, with a persons castle every 5 feet and the only towns being ones made by devs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
you know it's really annoying when some mmo site has a "this week's mmo releases" article pop up somewhere and it's all fuckin tree punching games

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

To be fair it's not like there are any actual mmos coming out anymore

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

inventing a bold new kind of mmo where you punch slimes

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What if the TREE punched YOU?!

Hire me already, geez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

LOTRO already did this.

Get out of here with that derivative poo poo.