Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
...dammit, you're right! And I've played a *ton* of LOTRO.

I am ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

kedo posted:

LOTRO already did this.

Get out of here with that derivative poo poo.

I want hands to come out of walls and punch you

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

I want hands to come out of walls and punch you

XIV did it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kedo posted:

LOTRO already did this.

Get out of here with that derivative poo poo.

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!
Poor old Willow-man, you tuck your roots away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again water-lilies bringing.
Hey! Come derry dol! Can you hear me singing?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you could punch jwilsons in UO in the 90s, it's been derivative for decades

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Ruggan posted:

EverCraft Online is having a full-weekend alpha test starting in a few hours.

There's a thread over this way: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018831

I've enjoyed the few community alphas they've run so far, and I'll probably be dropping in for some of this weekend's event. Game is heavily inspired by EQ, and IMO is in a much better state than Monsters & Memories. It's also much much more approachable for new players / those without overwhelming nostalgia for EQ. The voxel (minecraft-y) art is definitely a love-it or hate-it thing, but even if you don't like it in screenshots, you might very well be surprised by how decent it looks in-game - don't let that put you off.

Also, shoutout to Bognar, who is a fellow goon and is on their dev team.

Thanks for taking over advertising! I had to miss this alpha test unfortunately due to some prior plans, but I made sure to help load test before disappearing. We only load tested 500 concurrent players but we ended up with 600 during the alpha so I'm glad everything mostly turned out okay. The dev team had internal bets going on concurrent player count and I think the highest was 420.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!
Poor old Willow-man, you tuck your roots away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again water-lilies bringing.
Hey! Come derry dol! Can you hear me singing?

With how hosed up I got wandering around the Old Forest in release LOTRO, I can tell you I was loving relieved to find Tom's house.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Played a bit of the bitcraft closed alpha, since I lucked into an invite. Would it surprise you to know that it is an open world survival craft?

The advertisement said it was going to be one giant open world but maybe that comes later because the world was very tiny, had a couple dozen player outposts, and one online player.

The game is overhead camera and click to move, although the camera is very repositionable. The crafting is fine but no crafting from storage and it really poshes into the idea of encouraging collaboration by making everything a huge pain in the rear end.

There like 16 different crafting tables with different cross dependencies. You unlock a recipe when you retrieve any of its ingredients, but it won't tell you how to get the other ingredients until you unlock one of their ingredients so stuff can be kind of confusing. There's a codex but it's very poorly organized.

The big thing is that you require so much work to do so much stuff, most of that work is staring at progress bars. The game kind of tells you to join with other players but there's no real nudge into teaming up, just "hey wouldn't this be less of a pain in the rear end with another person here".

Which isn't that good of a nudge because the biggest premium in the game is space. The map has plenty of room but claiming it requires rent and they really make you work for it. Easily half your time playing the game is spent obtaining supplies for rent for one reason or another. As you tier up paying rent gets more efficient but everything also uses more space and rent payments scale linearly with claimed space (despite the fact that you have to tier up to raise your claimed space cap. Oh yeah! You tier up by paying extra rent). So if you team up with somebody else you need more space which means more rent. You're sharing some common space but having two people isn't even twice as good as having one but I'm supposed to go pester strangers about joining their team?

That's another thing: all the marketing shows these glorious walled cities with open plazas and stuff. Absolutely not. Like 90% of the rent those settlements are paying is for nothing. Everyone has a ton of crafting tables laying around in a puddle, packed as tightly as possible.

The game does have levels for each of its dozen progressions but it's not clear whether they do anything or not. So there's not really any concept of specialization which is both good and bad. It is good that is you play with your friends you can contribute just as much as they can on day 1 and it's not like forcing specialization has ever successfully created cooperation.

Lastly there's literally nothing to do. Eco, which is the closest equivalent I've played, has the meteor and weird government stuff. New World, back when it was a sandbox, had war and crime. This doesn't really seem to have anything at all.

Overall I wish they charged you a one time fee for claiming land and made rent scale with tier. At least that way there wouldn't be so much pressure to cram everything into the smallest ugliest spot possible which is what everyone is doing. I wish two players were more than twice as good as one instead of less than twice as good. I wish there was something approaching a point. More than anything I wish this was an MMO of some sort.

If you like eco maybe this will change into a better version of that someday. It was kind of meditative with all its progress bars.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
My friend got banned from the bitcraft discord for saying the trailer is misleading.

Not sure why anyone would make old-school Runescape without all the stuff in the year of our Lord 2024

I lasted five minutes including putting in my invite sign-up

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ah yes, exactly the feature I need when want to escape from our capitalist hellscape and into a game... paying rent.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mmos should present you with the option of PKing your landlord

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait, do the rents go to another player or is that money or whatever just disappearing?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wait, do the rents go to another player or is that money or whatever just disappearing?

The rent is the traditional feature of protecting the stuff on your claim from griefing, theft, and decay in return for payment. UO, SWG, etc all had this, it's just cranked up to 11 here.

You actually CAN set up subclaims where players can rent part of your claim from you and the rent on their totem goes to you instead of being destroyed, but it didn't seem especially well thought out because why would anyone agree to that? You can just have a normal guild sharing a claim setup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

The rent is the traditional feature of protecting the stuff on your claim from griefing, theft, and decay in return for payment. UO, SWG, etc all had this, it's just cranked up to 11 here.

If I recall correctly, old school UO didn't charge rent. You had to buy a deed for a house (and find a spot to place it, which was the real cost), and then as long as you visited the house once every month (I think?) or so it would refresh. If you didn't visit in that time frame, the house would just "collapse" and disappear.

But yeah, rent is not necessarily new, but "spending 50% of my game time to make rent" is a little too real world for me right now.