Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rad Russian posted:

Shadowbane was a good sandbox PvP MMO at its prime (super buggy but the concept was great). Except when designed specifically to be truly player driven the MMO automatically has a few month end state, which I'm not sure can be solved. Yes the whole game world is player built and player controlled, except eventually 80% of the guilds on my server decided to form an alliance against the many objections of sane people saying that will ruin the server. They promptly defeated the small alliance that was fighting them, and those people moved on and either quit or moved servers. Fighting 10 on 1 every time wasn't fun. Then this 80% of the server alliance (now 100% of the server) sat on the now boring server with 0 conflict for several months somehow, after which everyone of course quit out of boredom and the server shut down. GG.

This is basically exactly why true sandbox PvP MMOs can't exist. No sane developer is gonna spend millions on a game that will last several months at best before the end state is reached. They need to theme park PvE content, or gate PvP behind pre-set alliances without a win condition (fight over some keeps here without affecting any starting cities or any of the game world). Meh.

What? No. Just because people can form mega-alliances doesn't mean a sandbox "cannot work", that's way way way too reductive. That's just a design challenge. There's lots of ways to discourage mega-alliances through gameplay mechanics.

Or you can just find ways to make it not matter, like EVE. There's huge alliances... so you just go somewhere else. Either you attack them at times and you're too small for them to really care because they've got bigger fish to fry, or you fight other small corps in some far off corner while the big mega-alliances smash each other for the large swaths of territory.

The whole "no sane developer is going to spend millions on content that players will blast through in a few months" is if anything more of a criticism of theme park mmos, so this really makes zero sense. Every theme park mmo the devs hope the game will last for long enough to make the next content and they're always wrong because people poop-sock it in weeks, not even months. So they have to end up intentionally gating off content and delaying release of things, which in a way works and prevents the game from becoming completely stagnant for months, but also means people are constantly hitting caps every week where they've done all there is to do.

Like, sorry but that just doesn't really follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Rad Russian posted:

Shadowbane was a good sandbox PvP MMO at its prime (super buggy but the concept was great). Except when designed specifically to be truly player driven the MMO automatically has a few month end state, which I'm not sure can be solved. Yes the whole game world is player built and player controlled, except eventually 80% of the guilds on my server decided to form an alliance against the many objections of sane people saying that will ruin the server. They promptly defeated the small alliance that was fighting them, and those people moved on and either quit or moved servers. Fighting 10 on 1 every time wasn't fun. Then this 80% of the server alliance (now 100% of the server) sat on the now boring server with 0 conflict for several months somehow, after which everyone of course quit out of boredom and the server shut down. GG.

This is basically exactly why true sandbox PvP MMOs can't exist. No sane developer is gonna spend millions on a game that will last several months at best before the end state is reached. They need to theme park PvE content, or gate PvP behind pre-set alliances without a win condition (fight over some keeps here without affecting any starting cities or any of the game world). Meh.

Eve did somewhat solve that issue by literally putting the WHOLE player base onto one server instead of smaller shards, but I don't think that's achievable in a normal MMORPG where people are not going to tolerate a powerpoint style sub single digit FPS battles.

that's probably why all the former shadowbane devs now working on crowfall decided that servers would get wiped periodically :v:

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Rad Russian posted:

[...] sat on the now boring server with 0 conflict for several months somehow, after which everyone of course quit out of boredom and the server shut down. GG [...]

It's part of the players responsibility to initiate conflict. Every good pvp experience I've had there have been at least 2 "arch enemies" which were largely just LARPing to keep players engaged. SWG, EVE, even Vanilla WoW pre-honor had player leadership to keep the atmosphere on the servers I was playing on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WebDO posted:

Torn between calling to ban the OP because there was never a good MMO or trolling the thread by saying Fallout 76 will be the answer, please advise

why not both

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

just play bdo if you want a sandbox that has things to do other than ganking op sorry that's as good as it gets

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Percelus posted:

just play bdo if you want a sandbox that has things to do other than ganking op sorry that's as good as it gets

What sorts of things are there to do in BDO, out of curiosity? I want to try it mostly because the Wizard class looks crazy fun

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

What sorts of things are there to do in BDO, out of curiosity? I want to try it mostly because the Wizard class looks crazy fun

It will seem like your dream MMO because it has everything. Trade goods runs, guild wars over tax nodes, ganking, open world bosses, grinding, boats, underwater diving, hunting deer with a rifle in FPS mode, fishing, horse taming, etc etc.

After a while you'll discover the upgrade system and how it's tied to RNG. Not the nice sort of RNG. You get more rolls on the roulette wheel or rather have an easier time of it with cash shop consumables.

It's not too obnoxious but don't be misled by the B2P model - to be effective in end game you're looking at fifty dollars worth of pets to pick up all the loot, a thirty dollar costume and maybe another 30-50 dollars in inventory and weight boosts.

The pets are account wide, the rest is per character. Does that seem rather expensive? It is.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah I recently looked into playing that again but after finding out that subscribing was pretty much mandatory if you ever wanted to get anything done and the price of costumes and everything I just bought a game for less and played that instead. These guys are shittier than Nexon about their cash shop and it's really drat hard to out-Nexon Nexon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DancingShade posted:

It will seem like your dream MMO because it has everything. Trade goods runs, guild wars over tax nodes, ganking, open world bosses, grinding, boats, underwater diving, hunting deer with a rifle in FPS mode, fishing, horse taming, etc etc.

After a while you'll discover the upgrade system and how it's tied to RNG. Not the nice sort of RNG. You get more rolls on the roulette wheel or rather have an easier time of it with cash shop consumables.

It's not too obnoxious but don't be misled by the B2P model - to be effective in end game you're looking at fifty dollars worth of pets to pick up all the loot, a thirty dollar costume and maybe another 30-50 dollars in inventory and weight boosts.

The pets are account wide, the rest is per character. Does that seem rather expensive? It is.

Yeah, that's sort of what I thought. It seems like every MMO with really good combat is either really grindy and lacking features beyond that combat, or really grindy and an astoundingly nasty RNG-fest. Obviously I don't mind doing activities repeatedly for more rewards or I wouldn't be interested in MMOs in the first place, but there's a point at which it just becomes unsatisfying to even engage with the systems anymore.

I wonder if Dragon's Dogma Online ends up suffering from the same problems.

Also wait, what does the costume have to do with endgame effectiveness?

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
my dream MMO is whatever the one is that makes me look the coolest possible ever and/or prettiest possible ever

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
very silly (maybe not possibly ever) and very flamboyantly gay are also highly preferential qualities

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

These are good and important criteria

An MMO with poor fashion is not an MMO worth playing at all :hai:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I want vanilla WoW, but with new content and a heavy focus on difficult 5man dungeons as the endgame. No raids. Add in transmog, easier respecs, and world quests too. Maybe take those jumping puzzles from GW2. Those are cool.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I just want them to release Dragon Quest X here, I don't even care if it's good.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Good MMORPGs come out all the time. The real question is if MMORPG developers will find a way to get around the "I play the MMO that my friends play" problem that strangles them all.

Also I want a sci-fi MMORPG that doesn't crash and burn like Wildstar / Tabula Rasa.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Guild Wars 2 would be perfect if it had more...explore-type poo poo to do instead of more dungeon-type poo poo to do...I guess?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want more MMOs to do something that GW2 and ESO do: never raising the level cap. Both games manage to keep a sense of progression and encourage players to play new content without raising the level cap by shifting character progression in another direction.

In ESO, a new DLC or chapter coming out is a little bit like new cards coming out in a TCG. Your level isn't going to go up and your base stats aren't going to increase, but there's new gear out there with new properties, and (in some cases) a new skill line to unlock. These new gear sets and skills might not necessarily be stronger than the ones that exist, but they're different, and in some builds they might be better, or they might enable new ways of playing certain types of characters. And they come with new cosmetics, too. So each time a new content drop comes out, you want to do the new content to get the new gear, even though it's not a higher item level. The challenge here is that it's inevitable that eventually they're going to run out of ideas for interesting set bonuses, but for now, I think it's working out well.

In GW2, they sort of do the "new, not necessarily stronger, equipment set" thing by releasing new stat combinations on gear, though Path of Fire (expansion 2) didn't shake things up nearly as much as Heart of Thorns (expansion 1) did. The bigger progression thing comes from the mastery system. Masteries are basically like extra skill lines that you unlock by gaining EXP and by exploring to find Mastery Points. Unlocking new masteries gives you new movement or environmental abilities that let you navigate the new zones, like gliding and bouncing on mushrooms in Heart of Thorns, or mounts and their special abilities in Path of Fire. Unlocking all of my mounts and their movement abilities in Path of Fire was a lot more satisfying than gaining another 10 levels in WoW with no actual changes to my abilities.

I will say that there's something to be said for the way an increasing level cap hits the reset button with each expansion. While it does mean that people stop running old content for any reason other than getting armor skins in something like WoW, it also means that you don't have to run that old content to stay relevant, and there's no chance that, say, a set from three expansions ago is still the best possible set for your spec and things stagnate. To be fair, it's not like everyone starts on a level playing field with each new expansion--after all, if you have a mountain of gold, you can give yourself a pretty big leg up by buying crafted/bind-on-equip gear once you're max level--but at least everyone hits the starting line at the same time.

A static level cap is something that I think works for some games and not others, but at least for a while it seemed to be considered something that was mandatory in an MMO and not a specific design decision.

MoaM posted:

Guild Wars 2 would be perfect if it had more...explore-type poo poo to do instead of more dungeon-type poo poo to do...I guess?

This depends on what you mean by "explore" and what you mean by "dungeon," I think. GW2's whole thing now is adding new open world zones with each major content patch, each with its own new mastery (the newest one came with an entirely new mount type to unlock) and stuff to find for map completion, not to mention events. They don't add new instanced dungeon stuff with nearly as much frequency--probably two new fractals and one new raid wing a year, at this pace?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 28, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Of the MMORPGs in development, I am most excited for City of Titans but that is still like 100 years away.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MoaM posted:

I want an mmo that looks like GW2 but plays like Everquest 1

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

nothing is going to change until they stop hiring garbage devs that made a good MMO two decades ago but haven't been successful since or in any way improved the genre beyond simply using better graphics

If someone kickstarted a MMO and the entire selling point was that literally none of their employees had ever touched an MMO I might be interested. Its like they get hired and immediately get to work by renaming EQ/WoW spells and classes.

This is especially frustrating because there have been a lot of non MMOs the last 10 years they could draw inspiration from. How you interact with the environment in zelda, the invasion elements of dark souls, the multiplayer of destiny where you run across other players in other zones etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is unjust that Capcom won't bring Dragon's Dogma Online to the west because holy poo poo look at this class

just loving look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7rRNIOHYI&t=193s

oh and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxqtAVRUmE&t=42s

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 29, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hello

good to meet you

How do you do

Let us go play dragons dogma online

Here are things you need

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xIB_oSBkVg2i_sADxUBsf5B_e-RDh0jZ

https://discord.gg/MezsqmJ

maybe this

https://github.com/riftcrystal/DDON-Translation/releases/tag/03030004.a-PR

also VPN information

You need one for account creation and logging in, after that you can turn the vpn off and use a mask

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonsdogmaonline/comments/3lhqt4/vpn_workaround/

quote:

Hey everyone,

As you know, you're now forced to use a VPN to play the game (unless you use the proxy workaround). To work around this:

Run command prompt as an administrator

Enter the following: route add 106.185.74.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 <default gateway>

Replace <default gateway> with your router's default gateway without the <> (just look up on google how to find this and make sure that your VPN is turned off when getting this information)

Log into the game with the VPN turned on then simply disconnect the VPN once you're in the character select screen or in-game!

See edit if you want to make this route persistent over reboots

Can't be certain if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me. Also, we don't know if DDO is now watching IP addresses so just play with it on if you're worried!

PS. If you need to remove the route just enter: "route delete 106.185.74.0". Be careful not to do anything else to your route table as this can potentially make it so that you are unable to connect to the internet.

EDIT: If you want to make it persistent, just add the flag -p in the route add command as follows: route -p add 106.185.74.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 <default gateway>

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

Hello

good to meet you

How do you do

Let us go play dragons dogma online

Here are things you need

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xIB_oSBkVg2i_sADxUBsf5B_e-RDh0jZ

https://discord.gg/MezsqmJ

maybe this

https://github.com/riftcrystal/DDON-Translation/releases/tag/03030004.a-PR

also VPN information

You need one for account creation and logging in, after that you can turn the vpn off and use a mask

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonsdogmaonline/comments/3lhqt4/vpn_workaround/

nope

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeahhhhhh.....The crew that did the translations put alot of effort into it but even then its still a hassle to keep everything up to date/still a ton of stuff that isn't translated.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

drag dog tutorial

So I tried this out a few days ago and ended up giving up cause the launcher was totally blacked out every time I opened it. Nothing on reddit seemed to solve my issue. you ever seen this problem before?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah MMOs are enough of a chore to play as is

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Jimlit posted:

So I tried this out a few days ago and ended up giving up cause the launcher was totally blacked out every time I opened it. Nothing on reddit seemed to solve my issue. you ever seen this problem before?

lol I am attempting to navigate this poo poo right now and holy crap is using reddit and discord a loving mess as far as organization on what you need to do

I'll update it later if I get it working

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I hope Riot Games can make a good MMO. It'll just be a few years before we hear anything about it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I downloaded dragons dogma and english patch, the loving discord and reddit is not very good so I ended up patching 6 gigs over a vpn. Thank you mudfish vpn for being cheap.

I can put a torrent up of the game, 32 gigs, but I don't know a good open torrent tracker.

It would come patched to what ever you need today and include english patch. So to play you would just need to make an account and use vpn to log into the game and get to the character screen. After that a VPN can be turned off if you have the mask set up.

This is more work than most people want to do, and I don't even know if the game is fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sudbina posted:

I hope Riot Games can make a good MMO. It'll just be a few years before we hear anything about it.

considering their version of dota is inferior i kinda doubt this'll turn out well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Current status

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 4, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

aint that the truth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Good MMORPGs come out all the time. The real question is if MMORPG developers will find a way to get around the "I play the MMO that my friends play" problem that strangles them all.

Also I want a sci-fi MMORPG that doesn't crash and burn like Wildstar / Tabula Rasa.

I think simply getting away from monthly fees really helps beat that "well I'm just gonna play the 1 MMO my friends do"

There's still the leveling and time investment, but having a sub really locks you in for good and makes you feel like you need to play that game to get your money's worth.

And games like Destiny and The Division, as much as they're highly flawed, really demonstrate that you can do an MMO-esque experience without full MMO stuff, which allows you to easier avoid a monthly fee.
Alternatively there's games like Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 which are basically straight up MMOs and also don't have monthly subs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I want more MMOs to do something that GW2 and ESO do: never raising the level cap. Both games manage to keep a sense of progression and encourage players to play new content without raising the level cap by shifting character progression in another direction.

Same. My favorite part of MMOs is the "end game" and while leveling can be fun, its often just work that prevents you from playing the thing you want. There should be a leveling process to learn how to play your class effectively but then once you're max just add more quests that give cosmetics or unlock abilities or give loot while letting people do pvp or raid or whatever without having to stop and level again before they re-unlock the same game modes they were playing a few months ago.

Harrow posted:

I will say that there's something to be said for the way an increasing level cap hits the reset button with each expansion. While it does mean that people stop running old content for any reason other than getting armor skins in something like WoW, it also means that you don't have to run that old content to stay relevant, and there's no chance that, say, a set from three expansions ago is still the best possible set for your spec and things stagnate. To be fair, it's not like everyone starts on a level playing field with each new expansion--after all, if you have a mountain of gold, you can give yourself a pretty big leg up by buying crafted/bind-on-equip gear once you're max level--but at least everyone hits the starting line at the same time.

I made this suggestion in the wow thread and some people hated it lol, but I was suggesting that MMO Expansions could be more parallel than sequential.

Imagine if each expansion had its own stat like, expansion 1 all the gear has fire resistance. Expansion 2 all the gear has ice resistance. You can wear your ilevel 200 gear in the ice expansion but if it has fire resist it won't be quite as good. It still gives you a little bit of a leg up over people going into the ice expansion with ilevel 180 gear, but before long you both replace your gear with ilevel 180 ice gear that has ice resistance.

That way after you got all the expansion 2 ice stuff done, you could go back to expansion 1, and you wouldn't simply "outlevel" all the content. You could pick up right where you stopped, doing more of those quests.

There's other ways you could accomplish the same without resistance, also getting rid of levels makes it easier to make expansions parallel and let people continue to play content they've paid for before without making it trivial and obsolete.

(Course, some people apparently like being able to god-mode through old content, but I think that gets old real fast)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

It is unjust that Capcom won't bring Dragon's Dogma Online to the west because holy poo poo look at this class

just loving look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7rRNIOHYI&t=193s

oh and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxqtAVRUmE&t=42s

Its not far from the "dark souls mmo" that is my dream, and god I would kill for dragon's dogma online. BRING IT HERE CAPCOM DO IT.

Also there's that Monster Hunter Online game in China, MH:World is so good and if you could build a full MMO out of that Its another game that I'd play for a billion hours.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
been chasing that dragon since late 90s Ultima Online

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Playing dragons dogma online right now with a few friends

Even made a torrent to get the game client over to them via a not vpn

But you have to launch the game with a vpn, select your character, and then you can kill the vpn no longer requiring it.

NordVPN is a lowtax sponsored thing but I still have mudfish, a lovely korean one that I put 5 bucks into about 8 years ago and haven't run out of money yet.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Playing dragons dogma online right now with a few friends

Even made a torrent to get the game client over to them via a not vpn

But you have to launch the game with a vpn, select your character, and then you can kill the vpn no longer requiring it.

NordVPN is a lowtax sponsored thing but I still have mudfish, a lovely korean one that I put 5 bucks into about 8 years ago and haven't run out of money yet.

Do you feel like it's worth the trouble to get it set up?

I watched some videos and it looks like a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I've set it up for about 5 people now and it is fun. But there are currently some newbie traps.

If you never played dragons dogma, each class you level up can unlock passives that any class can equip.

The trick to this is to level up one class, probably a red dps class, then level your pawn up as well, and if you want to level something else afterwards, use your pawn to power level you.

But so far it isn't that bad of a game, you just won't read any of the plot ever.