Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

wtf that's the coolest thing i've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Dragon Dogma looks like dumb flashy lights.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is.

Also alchemist is one of the two "blue" classes which means mostly a tank.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Third World Reggin posted:

I've set it up for about 5 people now and it is fun. But there are currently some newbie traps.

If you never played dragons dogma, each class you level up can unlock passives that any class can equip.

The trick to this is to level up one class, probably a red dps class, then level your pawn up as well, and if you want to level something else afterwards, use your pawn to power level you.

But so far it isn't that bad of a game, you just won't read any of the plot ever.

Is it like the original in that class level and character level are separate things and whatever class you are when you increase your character level will permanently affect your stat development?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I do not think so. I would have to ask the reddit discord about that, but this looks a lot more like a mmo without that stupid class stat gain poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

wtf that's the coolest thing i've ever seen

Yeah it's cool as gently caress. It's this super-mobile tank class that's all about launching yourself all over the place and using your alchemy gauntlet to punch things and also do these crystal-burst attacks.

The High Scepter class looks insanely fun, too. Contrary to its name, it's a spellsword class--the class wields a one-handed sword and mixes really acrobatic swordfighting with casted spells. I think you build up some kind of resource through your sword strikes, then dump it into big, powerful nukes (almost like an inverse of FFXIV's Red Mage). Both the Alchemist and the High Scepter are mobile, but in different ways--the Alchemist seems really good at getting into the air, while the High Scepter just flips all over the place on the ground.

Both classes are extremely my kind of thing. "Highly mobile melee fighter who sometimes does flashy magic" is my favorite kind of class to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fufvS5B_dQ

Hello Sailor posted:

Is it like the original in that class level and character level are separate things and whatever class you are when you increase your character level will permanently affect your stat development?

I do not think so. I would have to ask the reddit discord about that, but this looks a lot more like a mmo without that stupid class stat gain poo poo.

From what I can tell it's basically like FFXIV, where you only have a class level. So on the one hand, that means that you don't have to do the whole "level in the right classes for the right permanent stat gains" thing, but it also means that you have to level each new class from level 1.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 2, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I really hate everyone who shows me DD Online. High Scepter is the exact thing I like to play.

I don't suppose you can respec appearance like in DD itself?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

It is unjust that Capcom won't bring Dragon's Dogma Online to the west because holy poo poo look at this class

just loving look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7rRNIOHYI&t=193s

oh and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBxqtAVRUmE&t=42s

This is another thing... give me more mobility. Flying feels great. Running on walls feels great. Double jumping feels great. Dashing feels great.

They added demon hunter to wow and I find every other class to be extremely boring now by comparison. If you're not making a clunky dark souls fighter then gently caress reality and physics lets do crazy cool anime poo poo.

Gimme a devil may cry mmo :allears:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Play Warframe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

redgubbinz posted:

Play Warframe.

I don't like 3rd person shooting so much. I guess I should try it more and try to find a class built around melee.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

I really hate everyone who shows me DD Online. High Scepter is the exact thing I like to play.

I don't suppose you can respec appearance like in DD itself?

Armor has fashion slots for you and your pawn that you unlock via questing. Not sure about characters.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Armor has fashion slots for you and your pawn that you unlock via questing. Not sure about characters.

You are making me extremely unhappy that it hasn't come out here.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

You are making me extremely unhappy that it hasn't come out here.

https://vine.co/v/iPzawtdue6x

Also

I have never been afraid of fan translated japanese f2p games but I am a fan of bad games. A little bit of wiggle wag writing has never stopped me from a good time.

And right now they are throwing items and experience at new players as a catch up thing. I got one vocation to level 40 within about 10 minutes of play, then did a dumb thing and got another one up. There is more free money and experience coming in a few days.

And chat on server 13 is mostly english.

EDIT: about to get my third pawn.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 2, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's the cash shop situation like?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

http://ddon.wikidot.com/cashshop:home

We used the third anniversary gashapon with the free stuff they gave us and got some nice things from it.

It looks like it is 2-5 dollars a roll, but lol if you pay real money for any gashapon.

http://ddon.wikidot.com/treasurelots:home

Their premium stuff is chest expansion, some small benefits, or a combination of for 5, 15, or 17 usd a month and eh, it isn't really needed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Dragon's Dogma Online have PvP? I'm trying to think about the amount of like freedom of movement and how big and flashy spells are and I suspect that the reason they can do that is because they don't have to care about PvP balance with those skills. I'll gladly give up PvP in an MMO if it means that players can do crazier poo poo (the kind of thing that is fun to do to an enemy but very frustrating to have done to you, or things that would never work on a human player like big Sorcerer spells with super long cast times).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You both answered your own question and told us that you don't really care what the answer is anyway, but yes, you're correct.

It's basically Guild Wars 1 with a max party size of 4, but it trades in PvP for the stuff you mentioned, the ability to climb monsters, and more grinding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

You both answered your own question and told us that you don't really care what the answer is anyway, but yes, you're correct.

It's basically Guild Wars 1 with a max party size of 4, but it trades in PvP for the stuff you mentioned, the ability to climb monsters, and more grinding.

I didn't mean that I don't care what the answer is, just that I suspect the reason Dragon's Dogma Online can have the kind of combat it does is specifically because it lacks PvP, and if that's the case, I'm glad not to have it. If it had PvP, that PvP would either be garbage, or it would necessitate a very different combat design that wouldn't allow for all of the kinds of movement its classes have (or classes that rely on super-long cast time nukes).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No pvp that I know of. MMO is a lose term here. As much as vindictus is a mmo, so is dragons dogma online.

You have a hub you can see people in, an open world you can travel in and bring 3 pawns / friends but that is instanced to you. There are also some extreme missions that you can take 8 people in and so far that has been great for power leveling new players.

The first one is level 40 or 45 and then every 5 levels after that. But if you are below that level, you get a flat amount of exp. If you are above it, you get reduced. Group size doesn't seem to change experience in the extreme missions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Speaking of pvp, I still wish more games took everquest 2s approach of skills where your skills has a pvp effect and pve effect. Some skills change completely in what it did since CC for 30 seconds is great for pve but awful for pvp.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Thank you mudfish vpn for being cheap.

Tried using the free VPN listed in the 2 year old reddit guide, SoftVPN. While it worked great for (slowly) downloading the patch, it's servers are too slow to allow me to connect to the game, based on what google says about the error message I've been getting.

So, I dropped a few bucks on mudfish and turned on the DDON item. However, the game launcher is giving me what I assume (from experimenting with turning SoftVPN on and off at various times) is the "wrong region" message where it won't even get to the "enter your login info" screen.

How did you get mudfish to work?

e: Finally got it working. Had to set it to full VPN mode and make sure the selected server for full VPN and the selected server for DDON matched, then turn mudfish off and back on again. However, still running into the same slow connection problem as the free VPN. Is there a particular one of mudfish's Japanese servers that you use which consistently works?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 4, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Full vpn mode is what we use for the login screen.

Been using jp linode whatever most of the time. turn on mudfish, turn on full vpn if it isn't on, if it isn't on relog on mudfish, once it is loaded and 100%, turn on launcher (the launcher goes slow), load game, get to character select, turn off mudfish.

That works for us. Green latency.

Make sure you do the reddit ip mask as well if you want to turn mudfish off.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

No luck. Tried about 10 different servers, including some of the Linode servers and everything times out after I hit "start game" on the main menu, then closes the game and restarts the launcher.

e: Figured it out. Had to turn the VPN workaround off. Once I did that, I could use the free VPN to connect just fine. Can't seem to go without it, though, even if I turn the workaround back on.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 4, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No pvp that I know of. MMO is a lose term here. As much as vindictus is a mmo, so is dragons dogma online.

You have a hub you can see people in, an open world you can travel in and bring 3 pawns / friends but that is instanced to you. There are also some extreme missions that you can take 8 people in and so far that has been great for power leveling new players.

That actually explains more than the lack of PvP, really. When you don't have to worry about potentially having dozens of players fighting in the same area, you can go a lot crazier with what each player can do. Imagine what having like 16 Sorcerers all casting meteor showers at the same time while 12 Alchemists bounce around and a Seeker whirls through the screen while on fire would do to your frame rate.

And really, I love those kinds of games, so that's fine by me. Same for Phantasy Star Online, Guild Wars 1, Vindictus, hell even Destiny. The people you intentionally group with are the ones who really matter, anyway. When I play Guild Wars 2 and join in a big event with a bunch of other players, like 95% of them might as well be NPCs for as much as we actually interact, y'know? So if going for a totally instanced game is the way you let people play as a Sorcerer that's true to Dragon's Dogma, raining meteors down from the sky after casting for like a minute straight, then go for that instanced game.

Maybe this weekend I'll try to set up a VPN and give it a go.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

eonwe posted:

no, is the answer

what do you want in your dream MMO?

i want a sandbox MMO that isn't just a gankbox and has some other poo poo to do in it too

I want a spacegame with all the sandbox elements of EVE online, but where the gameplay is actually fun. Shooting other ships in EVE is a question of locking target and then pressing F1 to fire your weapons. The maneuvering and decisions are very tactical, and they're mostly made by whoever is leading the fleet.

If combat actually involved actively piloting your ship, airming weapons, trying to get broadsides in etc, it would be pretty amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philonius posted:

I want a spacegame with all the sandbox elements of EVE online, but where the gameplay is actually fun. Shooting other ships in EVE is a question of locking target and then pressing F1 to fire your weapons. The maneuvering and decisions are very tactical, and they're mostly made by whoever is leading the fleet.

If combat actually involved actively piloting your ship, airming weapons, trying to get broadsides in etc, it would be pretty amazing.

Elite dangerous

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh boy new event for costumes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since there's no MMORPG general chat thread and the Wildstar thread is archived, this thread will have to suffice.

RIP noted bad game Wildstar

https://kotaku.com/wildstar-developer-carbine-studios-shuts-down-1828862729

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't like how instanced MMOs are and a lack of a decent metagame.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Oh also terrible gameplay loops / mechanics etc

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Harrow posted:

Since there's no MMORPG general chat thread and the Wildstar thread is archived, this thread will have to suffice.

I honestly didn't expect it to go down so soon. Then again, it's NC Soft. I actually had fun with it, though not enough to keep me playing and paying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dungeon Fighter Online is a good mmo and remains a good mmo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

you guys can talk about whatever in this thread

hopefully it would be vaguely mmo related but i dont really care that much

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Once the Kickstarter MMOs inevitablly fail, that's pretty much it for the genre, yes? Basically just waiting for WoW, FFXIV, Lineage 1(?), and a small handful of F2P failures to die off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't like how instanced MMOs are and a lack of a decent metagame.

Instancing was the beginning of the anti-mmo, which wow is now the king of.

I get why they did it, but you now spend 80% of the game in instances, may as well be co-op instead of mmo.

EQ was the best mmo because you met strangers and came to rely on them. You'd get a sense of the server and see some guy you grouped with 10 levels ago on the other side of the world, and that meant something.

In wow, people who aren't in your guild or friend's list may as well not exist. Even worse, they exist only as obstacles, stealing items or mobs you need for your quest.

Eq was designed to be oppressive so people had to band together to survive. Abilities were scattered between classes and you only had a fraction available to yourself without others help.

Wow you can do everything solo except raids and dungeons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Dungeon Fighter Online is a good mmo and remains a good mmo

I also don't really consider DFO a mmo but it is a bitchin fun co-op beat em up.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Zaphod42 posted:

Instancing was the beginning of the anti-mmo, which wow is now the king of.

I get why they did it, but you now spend 80% of the game in instances, may as well be co-op instead of mmo.

EQ was the best mmo because you met strangers and came to rely on them. You'd get a sense of the server and see some guy you grouped with 10 levels ago on the other side of the world, and that meant something.

In wow, people who aren't in your guild or friend's list may as well not exist. Even worse, they exist only as obstacles, stealing items or mobs you need for your quest.

Eq was designed to be oppressive so people had to band together to survive. Abilities were scattered between classes and you only had a fraction available to yourself without others help.

Wow you can do everything solo except raids and dungeons.

PvE elements need to he more challenging and prevalent rather than trash you have to snooze through.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Once the Kickstarter MMOs inevitablly fail, that's pretty much it for the genre, yes? Basically just waiting for WoW, FFXIV, Lineage 1(?), and a small handful of F2P failures to die off.

Depending on how you define "success," there's a surprising number of sustainable MMOs kicking around. WoW is clearly the big boy, but FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, and even kinda Elder Scrolls Online aren't doing so bad. FFXI is still kicking. EverQuest still gets content updates somehow. That's not even counting the handful of Korean games that have at least some global appeal, like Black Desert appears to.

I think we're seeing much more of a shift to more instanced games like Destiny and Anthem, which sort of follow in Phantasy Star Online/GW1's footsteps more than anything, but I wouldn't expect actual MMOs to completely die off as a genre, either.

Zaphod42 posted:

In WoW's defense, they've eased off on this a lot recently, with shared kill credit and per-player instanced quest objects meaning that other players are no longer a hindrance to solo questing.

As for EverQuest, really, I just don't think that kind of MMO is going to take off again. Most of the players who loved EverQuest back then just don't have the time or patience for the pace that a game like EverQuest requires. People generally want to log in and get right to actively doing something these days, for better or for worse. I don't think that's necessarily an inherently bad thing, either.

What I hope we see from MMOs in the future is to further break away from the WoW/EverQuest structure and just start doing weirder and less structured poo poo. I have no idea what I'm even really looking for here, either, but I just want to see more experimentation one day instead of every MMO either being WoW with another coat of paint, or some sort of wrongheaded attempt to recapture Ultima Online.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 6, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Graal was a good mmo, the freeware one, at least for a while until its server was taken down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

PvE elements need to he more challenging and prevalent rather than trash you have to snooze through.

I agree, EQ's combat is pretty dogshit and easily the weakest part of the package. But there's a way you could do something more like the world bosses in modern WoW, or the FATEs of FFXIV or the events of GW2, while still having that open sandbox non-instanced virtual world feel that old MMOs had and modern ones don't.

I mean, the answer is basically FATEs. FFXIV and GW2 got that poo poo working pretty drat well. You do some solo quests, you meet up with randoms, you punk a huge boss, you go off and do your own stuff for awhile again. Works pretty great.

You do still tend to solo FFXIV otherwise though, like WoW. Something between FFXIV and EQ would be perfect I think. But the devil's in the details.