Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

has anyone said "there has never been a good mmo" yet itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

FFXIV does none of the good things that FFXI did. FFXI sucked in a shitload of ways but you still got to explore the world while FFXIV was just queuing up for the same dungeons over and over and over.

Everything is so loving cookie cutter because its all instanced. I miss farming pop items during the week with two close friends then trying to get people to fight the big NM on the weekend.

FFXIV is really well polished but I miss doing weird poo poo with my friends like trying to get joyeuse, farming o-hat items, assault jerkin etc.

look deep into your heart for this.

do you really miss camping ullikummi for seven hours? do you really miss running around ve'lugannon palace waiting for a goddamn detector to spawn steam cleaner? do you really miss finding out the ToD and hauling your rear end out to sea serpent grotto at some ungodly hour just to watch some bot voke charybdis before it even appears on your screen? or do you just miss having enough free time to use these things as excuses to hang out with your friends?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there's also a bingo game called Wondrous Tails where you get assigned sixteen semi-random old duties each week, and completing one gives you a pip in a random spot on a 4x4 grid, up to 9, with minor rewards for doing all 9 and increasingly better ones for getting lines of 4, with the reward for the maximum of 3 lines including basically the best gear in the game, and if you don't care for tryhard content it's not bound to you so you can sell it for a bazillion gil to someone who does

the clever bit is "second chance points" which you can spend, either 1 to re-enable an already completed duty, or 2 to reshuffle your grid pips (so long as you have 7 or less). you get a second chance point for completing any duty with someone who hasn't completed it before, so helping out some rando almost always grants a material benefit

I played XI for many years, NA release to halfway through ToAU, and I do not understand people who are nostalgic for that era of MMOs, but the "helping out randos" bit is very much still there

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Stalins Moustache posted:

I want to suffer. It's why I play mmos

this guy gets it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this argument is so weird. like of course numerical differences affect things, ceteris paribus. that doesn't mean skill isn't a factor. you can argue the degree to which skill and gear matter, but to flat out deny that gear has an effect would be bizarre. is that what's happening because I feel like I must be misunderstanding

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hellioning posted:

The only way the argument makes sense if it TLD considers obtaining gear part of being skilled and therefore the person with better gear is by default more skilled.

I mean you can imagine two identical mages in some raiding guild on some wow classic server. both at, idk, 15 days /played and 25 hours spent clearing molten core, which is like 10-15 runs, probably. hell, call it 25 runs, I know the modern speed records are crazy. you can expect a talisman of ephemeral power to drop, what, every four or five runs? so the odds are pretty good that one of those mages has a ToEP and one doesn't, despite being equal in all other ways. and clearly the ToEP has a measurable effect for like presence of mind pyroblast kills and so on - fond memories of watching joink pvp videos circa 2006. all else being equal, the player with one will do better than the person without, because the only difference between them is the loot roll. and if nothing else, of course the gear has an effect because otherwise people wouldn't be putting in the effort to get it in the first place. so I must be misunderstanding what the argument is

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

spent several hours helping a friend get disseverment off of one particular dagger-wielding aern spawn in al'taieu like fifteen years ago

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"I don't care about the main story": cool

"there should be no main story": um

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the fourth enormous goon made his house out of goblin asses. the big bad mod said "let me in! let me in!" but the fourth enormous goon said "no! no! not by the hairs on my necky neck neck!"