Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw
The primary issue with themeparks for me is how you progress. In themeparks you have have to do a shitload of “this” before you can do a “that”. You have to quest before you can do dungeons, or pvp. You have to do dungeons before you can raid. In sandboxes if you want to get good at cutting trees you just have to start, and continue to cut some god damned trees. The rush to level cap so you can start doing “this” so you can eventually do “that” completely relegates any content that falls in between to tedium. Regardless of how much you want to check out the stories, you’re rushing to cap and prioritizing speed over fun. Before it’s mentioned, alts really feel like a waste of time to me though they are the proposed solution.

It’d be great to get into a game that had the storylines, and optional gear progression of a themepark without all the gating to do content. I’m p sure the level sync (pvp especially) features that are becoming more and more common are an attempt to address this.

or, you know, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Rad Russian posted:

[...] sat on the now boring server with 0 conflict for several months somehow, after which everyone of course quit out of boredom and the server shut down. GG [...]

It's part of the players responsibility to initiate conflict. Every good pvp experience I've had there have been at least 2 "arch enemies" which were largely just LARPing to keep players engaged. SWG, EVE, even Vanilla WoW pre-honor had player leadership to keep the atmosphere on the servers I was playing on.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw
I’m depressed because MMOs are stale as gently caress, but it’d be easy to confuse it as being the other way around.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

ragedx posted:

People who are begging for vanilla WoW honestly don't remember what a poo poo show it was.

This is one of those really popular opinions that is demonstrably incorrect. I’m sure there’s one person begging that will think it’s a shitshow, but many of in the community remember specifically what it was and are stoked for it. Whether or not Blizzard will get them to pay for it over going to free private servers is another question entirely.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

For a moment I was there again.