Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of UO, had anyone played official UO recently? I know there’s a handful of goons that love private shards, but I’m curious what the current state of the game is on retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

It's been 17 years since I've played Star Wars Galaxies, and I have yet to have any of those experiences in an MMO that I have played. I am not sure if this is simply due to me getting older, or that developers are not interested in making these types of game anymore.

It's mostly the latter. Most MMOs these days (let alone most video games in general), simply aren't made with mechanisms that accommodate that sort of emergent gameplay. SWG and UO are the only ones I can think of that were open-ended enough to allow players to do the sort of thing you're talking about. The introduction of instancing and the elimination of player housing and non-combat styles of gameplay took a lot of the heart and soul out of the genre, but they also widened its appeal to pull in a hell of a lot more players.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

What do you guys want to see in the next gen MMO?

An alternative to combat that isn't a dumb, mindless grind that involves interacting with dialogue boxes 99% of the time. Fun combat is nice and I wouldn't say no, but one of the great things about the best MMOs is that you didn't have to engage in it if you didn't want to.

Also a game that returns to this:

Jazerus posted:

basically the pre-WoW mindset was different. a MMO was a world you inhabited and optimization wasn't really the name of the game.

Gear scores, group finders, unnecessary min/maxing, groups running dungeons absolutely as quickly as they can to get to the level cap quickest... all this stuff is the opposite of what I want to see in a MMO. I want to experience and explore a unique and interesting world, I don't want to take a seat on a carnival ride that's designed for someone with the attention span of a toddler.

The most recent Zelda proves that there's an incredible appetite for games that break the mold and go back to their roots when those roots are strong. There are plenty of influential MMOs that studios could emulate.

Also get rid of layering/instanced overworlds, and just make the world bigger to accommodate more people.

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 15, 2020

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can remember the exact moment when I realized I wasn't having fun with WoW anymore. It was during Wrath, about a month after I hit level cap and after doing a couple of middling raids. I was flying across northrend right near the big arena on my drake going for my fifth daily and just had a midair realization that I just wasn't into it anymore and hadn't been for a while and had to stop.

Skinner boxes are a hell of a drug

This is the funny thing about WoW to me. Blizzard and all the players are in such a rush to get to the endgame, and the endgame is boring.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That’s cool, I had no idea that was a thing. They made some odd decisions with the modern version (like doing away with looting ...?)

My major qualm with the game is that even though it can support 4K resolutions you can only scale parts of the UI, so unit plates are nice and big but your bags are impossibly small.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pirates of the burning sea

I had a ton of fun in PotBS at launch with goons. Rolling around in a pack of four plus sloops attacking anything that moved was great fun. PvP was somewhat slow, but it really rewarded strategic, coordinated play. But you're totally right, the melee system just awful. Out-of-boat quests were all nightmares, and I remember I eventually stopped doing them altogether unless the rewards were spectacular. Last time I logged in (several years ago), I think they had made that sort of combat slightly less cumbersome, but they should have just removed it entirely. Given the half-assed attempt at melee, the game should have been designed to be played in ships a la EVE and nothing would have been lost.

Mr. Pickles posted:

If it doesn't have wave and storm mechanics I'm not playing it. I never understood all those numbskulls making ship games where the sea is still and there's no waves or rocking boats. Like wtf?

Voyage century online was an okay-ish krpg mmo which was quite successful even though the sea was still

When PotBS came out, wave physics barely existed in ANY games, let alone a mmo. It certainly would have made the game more exciting, but since sailing wasn't first person, it didn't play like an Assassin's Creed or Sea of Thieves.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tell me more about this...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

LLSix posted:

The last time I tried it, players were speed-running content so fast that I never got a chance to understand either the plot or mechanics of boss encounters before pubbies had finished them and started the next one.

This was the case with WoW prior to the most recent expansion as well (and it's probably the case again since folks have had long enough to poopsock their way through all the new content). I recall running one dungeon where some guy playing a demon hunter blazed through it so quickly that all the rest of us just ran behind looting stuff. I could hardly get a hit in on a mob before it evaporated. I suppose that's "fun" if all you care about is grinding out new gear as quickly as possible, but jesus does it make the game boring. It feels a lot like a junkie selling their mom's TV to get their fix – why slow down and actually enjoy the content and a little companionship when you can just snag that new piece of gear and the associated dopamine rush as quickly as possible?

So many modern MMORPGs aren't really RPGs anymore, they're action games with RPG window dressing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hot take: APB may have been the most fun I’ve had in any mmo for the month it lasted.

Edit: oh poo poo it’s still a thing apparently?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed, AO had a great community and that's a big reason why I sunk thousands of hours into the game. In fact I was so into it that I applied to be an Advisor of Rubi-Ka (basically an unpaid, volunteer mod) waaaaay back in probably 2004 or so, and spent many hours "helping" newbies in the training areas. If I recall correctly, I sat through a 2-3 hour training session in IRC after which I was released into the wild with a modified game client and account that allowed me to teleport to individual players and follow them around while invisible to see if they looked like they were running into any problems. If they seemed confused, I would pop out of invisibility right in front of them (usually doing a ridiculous emote), and would channel Clippy: "WELCOME TO RUBI-KA, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE HAVING SOME TROUBLE KILLING LEETS, DO YOU NEED ANY ASSISTANCE?!"

90% of people ignored me, 9% asked for money and were immediately annoyed when I said I didn't actually have any to give them (I really didn't!), and 1% asked for help. When I wasn't "helping" newbs, I spent my time chilling in the secret advisor zone chatting with random folks. It was awesome.

Unrelated: are there any modern MMOs out there that have solo content that's actually difficult?

kedo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 27, 2021

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jazerus posted:

conversely the guilds that took classic raiding super seriously and still were very bad at it are funny to look back on now

Wow I am triggered. Lucifron was easy and all, so we only wiped on him for a few weeks. :colbert:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I bit the bullet and registered a free FFXIV account a few days ago. It's been ages since I touched a game in that franchise (I think the last was FFXI around launch), but I'm enjoying it so far. My only qualm is that combat feels incredibly slow after coming from WoW and single player games. I'm currently leveling a rogue which feels more mobile and fun than the casters I tried, but without any form of AoE and only two real attacks (still, at level 20) every fight is the same. Hopefully it picks up soon.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well all that's a bummer. So far I'm enjoying the story and I might be able to stick with it until level 50... we'll see. If nothing else it's nice to be have a new world and completely new and different systems to explore.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Call me crazy, but doing homework outside of the game just so I can play a mmo the “right” or most efficient way is... not fun?!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How dare you speak that way about our Lord British! Also I totally forgot Tabula Rasa was even a thing even though I played it. NCSoft sure made a wide and weird array of mmos... who here played Auto Assault besides me? There's another game I totally forgot about until literally this moment.

e: As I posted this I received an email from Amazon about New World being delayed until August 31, 2021 – no surprise there.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That’s a real unfortunate (or intentional) misspelling right there...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is anyone playing the Mortal Online 2 beta? If I'm not mistaken it looks like you have to make a mandatory "donation" to be in the closed beta...?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How is it? Or are you NDA'd?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If only I could publish each and every goblin kill to my FB feed...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It’d be fun to goonrush a sandbox pvp mmo again. I had endless fun in Darkfall with goons way back in the day, and that game sucked.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Also a bunch of keys available here: https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2151704

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

WoW Classic was great for pickup dungeon groups at launch. Now it's absolutely awful for everything except measuring your e-peen against other 40-50 year old shut-ins.

Honestly I had more fun in the first four months of WoW Classic than I've had in any MMO since original WoW.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I dig LOTRO because it has that nice older mmo feel to it, but man do they need to do something about the UI for 4K monitors.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I mean, in The Hobbit Gandalf straight up drops some AOE lightning on a group of goblins and kills them. His magic is subtle most of the time, but he definitely wrecks dudes with it occasionally. He also talks to animals and cures Theoden by basically just talking at him, so he clearly packed some points into his charisma stat and is a hybrid dps/heals class.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Man I really wish I had given SWG more of a go back in its heyday, everything I ever read or hear about it makes me think it was right up my alley and I was just oblivious.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhh pretty sure he does not do AOE lightning. He *does* throw some fire around, but like I said that could be directly because he possesses the ring of fire, not because of his own "spellcasting" ability.

The Hobbit posted:

(From the scene where the group is taking shelter in a cave and goblins spring out of nowhere to capture them)

"When the goblins came to grab him, there was a terrific flash like lightning in a cave, a smell like gunpowder, and several of them fell dead."
:goonsay:

In general I agree with you, but arguing about Gandalf's powers is a custom as old as the internet and I must partake! This was indeed most likely from his ring of power, but it still sounds an awful lot like AOE lightning to me. ;)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Gort posted:

I mean that kinda sounds like he just shot them

I would absolutely read the LOTRO fanfic where Gandalf's true power is that he's the only dude in all of Middle Earth who has a gun.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

See this is where you're all mistaken – Star Citizen is out. It's current state is all it will ever be. Why go to the trouble to make an full video game when you can just release a new ship every once in awhile and sell the thing for $3000 a pop to a bunch of sweaty nerds?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Some people like fishing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

This is peak video game talk. There's all this concern out there in the world about video games causing violence, and here we are desperately washing our hands.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

We're thinking about the wrong types of brands. I, for one, am looking forward to playing World of Ronald McDonald's Playplace Online, the action-combat-survival MMO where you face off against the evil forces of the Hamburglar.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Man I would play the crap out of Anarchy Online 2. I LOVED that game.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I played current Aion for all of about 20 minutes recently and it was potentially the blandest, most boring mmo I’ve ever touched.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm convinced original UO was the best MMO ever made because it actually succeeded in creating a living world where players had a real impact in 1997. T2A was also good, but everything past that was trash.

UO Outlands is a nice re-imagining, but everyone seems so intent on min-maxing and grinding out rare drops and/or PKing for the sake of PKing that it doesn't have the same charm for me.

e: In other news, I'm back in WoW Classic for TBC. I need New World to come out so I can get my fix. :350:

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2021

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I bet you right click something fierce, but maybe I’m thinking too big.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Just bring back the mid/late 2000s where a new doomed mmo was released every week and you could spend hundreds of dollars jumping into each of them for a month and a half

I also want to go back to this era because companies were just throwing ideas against the wall to see what would stick. Every game wasn't Just Another WoW Clone; there were some genuinely interesting and different attempts at creating games with truly unique settings and gameplay.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My first UO character was an archer/provoker which was great for farming dungeons but terrible at PVP, but I was in high school and didn’t know jack poo poo. A guild near my buddy’s flop house where I lived held an event where they created a huge chessboard on the ground made out of dropped clothing, with players for pieces. There was security stationed all around the board to ensure no reds PKd anyone during the event, and there must have been a few dozen spectators making bets. I was a pawn and got absolutely wrecked about ten minutes into the game, but it was a blast and I still keep in touch with some of the people I met that day.

I once ran across a house way up a mountain pass, wedged in between two cliffs where a house definitely shouldn’t have fit but somehow did, named The Last Homely House, where a husband and wife RPd elves that patrolled the nearby woods hunting orcs and rescuing waylaid travelers. They gave me food and quoted various things to me in elvish when I wandered by.

My pc could barely run the game, but my school’s computer lab had poo poo security, so a buddy and I installed the game on every computer and would spend lunch breaks taming wild horses and llamas and selling them at Brit bank to save up enough money to buy our own house. We never did, but it was a blast.

For a brief stint before I quit playing (WoW happened), I joined an orc RP guild and had a lot of fun running around attacking random players killing orcs and shouting random jibberish about them being “bad hummies, no hurt orc!” I was terribly ineffective.

Man I miss that game.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have dreams about a UO-like MMO set in the old west, and I can't get it out of my head. Please, someone make this game so I can stop dreaming about it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like a hard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If a button were to exist that, if pressed, automatically charged you a dollar and allowed you to stand in the red so you could top the dps meters, it would break the global economy.