Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My dream MMO is vanilla Dark Age of Camelot, but also I'm 17 again and have zero real responsibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

While FFXIV is definitely a "theme park" (I hate that term), there are definitely still strong aspects of player interactions and cooperation if you are willing to look for it. Things such as Blue Mage Quests, Hunting Logs, scouting players for unsynced content, etc. It certainly isn't a two hour trek across the wilderness like in Final Fantasy XI, but it's still entertaining.

There's lots of non-gameplay stuff to do as well, like bard performance and player housing. Lots of community-driven events like theatre plays, blitzball tournaments, and fashion shows. Lots of people making their own fun.

XIV is definitely a themepark MMO, but it has a very robust sandbox side to it as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't initial XIV a disaster? I have no clue what it was like but I do remember it having to relaunch and it is heartening to see it rise from the grave even if I don't care for the design.

It was so bad it nearly sank the company. Yoship and everyone who worked on ARR are legitimately miracle workers for turning it around.