Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress yes I love DDON, I need to dust off my old character from a year or two back and jump in with you guys when the thread/download is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a goon in one of the wow subforum threads toxxed that WoW Classic would be more popular and have a higher player number than WoW Current lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can see how many people are playing one vs. the other though, but still lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it looks bad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

same but put that exact music over Puzzle Pirates gameplay

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a sax

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Carmant posted:

Yeah you'll go from 50-60 once Shadowlands is released. I kind of have some faith in Blizz still because I loved Legion.

ever since wrath/cata they've been on a Good Expansion/Bad Expansion pendulum and BfA has been an extremely loving terrible expansion so here's hoping Shadowlands keeps the pattern going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYG7bjitn4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the only good mmo was Toon Town

fun Toon Town fact: jamie christopherson was one of the composers who wrote its OST, and he would later go on to compose for the pirates of the carribean mmo and metal gear rising: revengeance

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the armory system is great and it + GW2 making almost everything from currencies to achievements to cosmetics account-wide are so, so good, but I prefer GW2's system largely because I like having alts of different races and classes, and getting an alt up and going in FF14 is the loving worst.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you just gotta power through it, I just recently started killing time by starting up LotRO and there's a lot of poo poo to worry about but I'm just ignoring half of it so I can focus on murdering goblins with violin solos.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

to be fair "guy who reads books" can have a pet bear I believe, and also you can be a guy who turns into a bear which is pretty sweet.

They're adding a punch-ey monk-ey brawler type guy apparently in the new expansion and there's a few very vocal people on the forums who are NOT happy lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the story behind what the Jedi were REALLY supposed to be is a wild one. This is a good read:

A Jedi Saga

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah if I had to give any advice as someone leveling for the first time, from experience, always keep your main quests current because they WILL send you to the rear end end of that monster nest you just cleared out for those 7 other quests and hey look everything's respawned lol

I'm dealing with Radaghast right now and he's sent me into the same ruin 3 times already, back to back

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

the 'you shall not pass' scene but instead of his staff slamming down it's just a shotgun cocking sound effect

he cocks his staff like anthony anderson in scary movie 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOL5UF5WSX4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll ask them to tone it down

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They said no

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I played the Dragons Dogma MMO and it was worth the hassle. I remember using the google translate app on my phone to read a bunch of tue stuff the dialogue patch didn’t hit lol

the assassin in the mmo had dope rear end grappling hook moves you could use to slingshot around giant enemies

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 15, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah for real, my money was on them at least giving us access to it after slowing down/dropping support or whatever, to wring some more cash out of a new market, but it straight up came and went before it left Japan.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dackel posted:

What you are saying is: the downfall of MMOs happened, after /pizza was introduced

of course it did, since /pizza was when it peaked. It was all down hill from there

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIu56TusFjk

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Part of me says to never buy NMS just for how much of a lying rear end the head of the studio was (still is?).

Sean's a good guy and an extremely shy person who was put in front of a lot of cameras and important people in his sphere of the entertainment industry (he was being grilled by Colbert at one point) because his tiny studio couldn't afford a PR guy during development. I'm sure having their office destroyed in the christmas floods of 2013 didn't help either lol.

He lied about a lot of things but it was clearly a lot of "we're trying/we'd love to make this happen oh god how do I tell the international daytime news talking head how game development works if I tell them no and hurt the brand Sony is going to dissolve our studio" and less of the Molyneux "just making poo poo up for no reason" style of lying. I'd say they've more than made up for being pressured into hyping up a bunch of stuff they might have been trying to do but didn't have ready or wouldn't have enough time to get around to by now. They sat down, shut up, ignored social media and the stalkers and the industry/local news trying to harass them and developed the poo poo out of NMS and with all of the free content updates it's ten times the game the original concept was.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 10, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a lot of stuff to do in the open world zones. I don't understand what you mean, is it a problem that the story doesn't take you to every single fate/chained fate/world boss, lookout point, aether current, hunt mark, gathering node or treasure map? Hell they even go back and make older open world zones relevant every once in a while via Beast Tribes or expanding the inventory of the fate vendors.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 13, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

revive the dragon's dogma MMO and give it to us filthy westerners. I had a great time playing Dragons Dogma Online, even if I had to use google translate on my phone by taking pictures of the text on my screen to find out what my abilities did lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

runescape VR would kick a ton of rear end

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only good MMO that was ever going to exist was True Fantasy Live Online for the original xbox, but alas....

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the music as well. especially the music.

as mentioned, this is not a bad thing. but it is accurate.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"take no feedback and stay true to his vision" is basically what he did, though. it just seems that his vision kinda sucked?

the update added a bunch of insane poo poo I can't imagine anyone was asking for, like the world now being a bunch of tiny biomes/zones but all of your gear, items, and stats except for tiny 0.1% permanent upgrades you have to grind for is tied to the biome/zone and you have to redo everything every time you step into the forest 20 feet away (which led to things like immediately losing your new boat in the middle of the ocean or glider while coming down from a mountain, because it's an item and therefor tied to the previous biome). And at the same time, a bunch of stuff was removed, like levels and skill trees and XP altogether, those cool fortress dungeons, the ability to even fight something a couple levels higher than you (level gap too big = invincible enemy), etc. It was a step down in basically every way. It even looked worse.

Like yeah taking on too much feedback is a danger, but I don't know if that's what happened here lol. The rumors of the beta being so drastically different and worse from the alpha because of spite are, of course, nonsense, but you can kind of see where someone dumb could get the idea.

I feel for him though, if he was the kind of person who hated being the center of attention, the blowup from your passion project would have been a nightmare. Whoever advised him to sell the alpha did not do him any favors, either. It's much harder to tell people to kick rocks when you're taking their money.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 28, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gimme a Way of the Samurai-style Conan game

Just show up, spend a week loving poo poo up, game ends, now find one of the other 14 paths and side stories. Conan doing little poo poo and beating up nerds is great

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Disc Priest kicks rear end, and they basically made Fistweaving the default monk healer build and it also kicks rear end

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it gets to be a little too much. Shadowlands, which it sounds like you're in the intro to, is pretty derided for just how lovely that simple story actually gets, even compared to how bad WoW's writing normally gets, to the point where the writers start reaching back into WC3 and Arthas' story again to try and gently caress it up too lol. It's nice that it's simple for the most part, but even if it was as barebones as they could possible make it, Blizzard can't write a third act to save their goddamn lives. They really should have gotten whoever was in charge of the initial story and especially Revendreth/Daddy Denarius/Castle Nathria to run the whole thing because the expansion as a whole nosedived the moment they started focusing on Zovaal himself.

Dragonflight, the new one, has been pretty good, and remains as simple as ever. The major viewpoints this time around are the dragon aspects who never know poo poo and the new race of demi-dragons who also don't know poo poo so the simplicity is kind of charming. Gameplay-wise, it's the best WoW's been in years. Interested to see how they gently caress it up this time.

I think the FF14 story is fantastic and I much prefer it to wow's jangling keys and flashing colors, but there's room for both imo. Sometimes I just want to see some jangling keys. I don't think I'd be nearly as invested as I am in FF14's story if I wasn't there from the beginning. Along the same lines, I don't think I'd hate WoW's writing nearly as much as I wasn't there from the beginning......

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 12, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A big part of what makes WoW's characters not really feel like real characters is that for years now, Blizzard has constantly either churned through or reassigned authors who all have vastly different ideas of what a character should be, even in the middle of expansions, in the middle of their defining story archs. Like 10 people wrote Sylvanas in the past 3 expansions, and it shows.

A really funny (and annoying lol) example of this was during Cataclysm, when they were building Garrosh up to be Big Bad Warchief and planting all the seeds of him being too big of an ego to control (which imo actually payed off in a fun way in Shadowlands, one of the few story beats I like a lot but that may be my bias towards Garrosh in general) so that he could be the villain of Mists, they would have different writers handling the storylines of different zones. A lot of these zones would have important character moments for Garrosh, such as Silverpine showing how he's not interested in alternative methods of conquest like resurrecting the dead and all that. One of these zones was Stonetalon, which had him show up, dress down, and execute one of the zone's main story characters for having you murder civilians and non-combatants and generally doing dishonorable terrorist poo poo. Which was odd, because you're generally doing dishonorable terrorist poo poo in his name everywhere else.

People generally seemed to like this sort of thing since it made him seem like less of a one-dimension villain and waste of a potentially fun character that had risen to prominence in Burning Crusade two expansions prior. But this was quickly deemed "non-canon" by the Blizzard writing team because what actually happened was this character moment in Stonetalon somehow made it to live on accident; because of the way Blizzard writes characters and stories, it was possible for whoever was supposed to be in charge of reverse-engineering these dozens of short stories into one hodge-podge of a narrative to simply just... miss it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hellioning posted:

I love WoW lore in spite of the storyline, which is kind of sad.

this is pretty much I feel, yeah. When it's good, it's real good, but it's not often.

the biggest lol of sylvanas' whole deal was that one cutscene (spoiler since someone's going through it right now) where, after giving zovaal exactly what he wants, she triumphantly tells him that she "will never serve" and he's just like "alright cool" and restores the part of her soul that makes her feel bad about all the stupid poo poo she's been doing and bounces

She seems to have a problem with grey dudes that glow blue.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ny'alotha being a single patch was a joke

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's the bridge game between Space Marine and Space Marine 2 apparently too, which is cool.

It involves that weird battery you get in Space Marine and the servo skull that's accompanying you belongs to the inquisitor at the end of the first game. You're not playing as titus tho.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 22, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NFT's Breeding

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

was he an awful New World shill?

he was an everything shill. he's been desperate for Goon Approval since he joined as a j4g to sell tshirts. he was the kind of guy who's immediately jump into every single new game and immediately set up The Official Goon Guild so he could be in charge of it lol

he wormed his way into an admin role in the former Goon Discord Network bot and his lovely creep behavior and his racist friends are largely what brought it down

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah he was never a leadership role kind of guy, he just wanted the credit for getting everything going. he was actually pretty bad at directing people and getting stuff done and interacting with other groups but he ran the discord/ventrilo/mumble/whatever so your options were limited.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 4, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a shot or a dialogue reference could have been cute but just lifting the whole thing is tacky lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I think it was confirmed by a LinkedIn post that it's a 40k game (but now I can't find any reference to that post, so maybe not)

I don't know if I'd be in on a 40k mmo, despite liking 40k and mmos a lot. It's in that weird area for me like trying to make a 40k Total War, despite how successful the fantasy one has been: it's the wrong genre. 40k doesn't need an MMO, it needs a Battlefield (or someday if technology allows for it, a Battlebit) or Squad or Hell Let Loose clone that is actually good and not Eternal Crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it shut down last year pending a cool ground-up redesign that will absolutely, surely happen. They were bought out by some other company who are likely stripping them for parts. Also the official discord went read-only a few weeks ago lol