Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I want project 1999 but with better graphics and some modern UI

Sandbox mmos were great but too niche for most people, the golden age of mmos is gone and dead

Games like Destiny/Division could give a similar experience at least, if they'd stop sucking

I played sea of thieves and the game is loving awful while at the same time it did a few things really well. The actual quests were the most boring poo poo of all time but stalking other players and waiting for them to lay anchor to pull up beside their boat and sink it was loving magical and it reminded me of the same kinda feel as your first MMO.

There is still potential for a good MMO but literally everyone involved in the scene is too loving stupid to do anything other than dogshit EQ/WoW clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

It's like every time a FFA PvP server opens, the population explodes, then dies off just as rapidly, because everybody thinks they're going to be the wolves. They spend all their time screaming for free for all PvP thinking they're going to be on top. But then they get on the server and get rolled by actual "wolves" and log off in a huff.

pvp in eve online worked so well because there was a lot of stuff to do other than hunt people. At its core its really a resource gathering/crafting game with pvp tacked on. Not an mmo but the same thing with dark souls. It was a game with a great single player aspect that allowed invasions, so there was a reason for people not interested in pvp to play the game.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

nothing is going to change until they stop hiring garbage devs that made a good MMO two decades ago but haven't been successful since or in any way improved the genre beyond simply using better graphics

If someone kickstarted a MMO and the entire selling point was that literally none of their employees had ever touched an MMO I might be interested. Its like they get hired and immediately get to work by renaming EQ/WoW spells and classes.

This is especially frustrating because there have been a lot of non MMOs the last 10 years they could draw inspiration from. How you interact with the environment in zelda, the invasion elements of dark souls, the multiplayer of destiny where you run across other players in other zones etc.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah MMOs are enough of a chore to play as is

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm honestly fine with hotkey style MMOs, what really annoys me is having to press a button constantly for 30 minutes straight. In FFXI the challenge was more in coming up with tactics to cheese a monster fight and also simply navigating there through zones of monsters that would destroy you if you had to fight more than two at a time.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mantees posted:

People seems to forget that EVE Online exists

so do game devs which is sad since fun game play using some of eve's balancing would own

The highsec>lowsec element means there are a lot of entry points to the open pvp areas so you can't just camp outside a city and club seals all day

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 25, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FFXIV does none of the good things that FFXI did. FFXI sucked in a shitload of ways but you still got to explore the world while FFXIV was just queuing up for the same dungeons over and over and over.

Everything is so loving cookie cutter because its all instanced. I miss farming pop items during the week with two close friends then trying to get people to fight the big NM on the weekend.

FFXIV is really well polished but I miss doing weird poo poo with my friends like trying to get joyeuse, farming o-hat items, assault jerkin etc.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 10, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think if we just make yet another open world full loot sandbox mmo where youc an craft base that gets destroyed unless you're online constantly and then throw it up on kickstarter we'll have a hit!!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Pve MMOs with non instanced housing is the dumbest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Eimi posted:

AFAIK FFXI back in the day had a max of about 4-5k people per server. I don't remember seeing more than 2k online on a server at once, but these are 20 years old memories so... But you absolutely can make an mmo server feel packed and lively with that many people if you design the game properly. Hell I don't know how you do an old school more field based mmo and make it work with more than that.
FFXI was on the PS2 and didn't have the hard drive space for too many zones so the zones tended to be multi use. Nothing was instanced either so if you were levelling in a zone there could be a group next to you hunting a notorious monster.