Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Oddly been thinking about this a lot lately.

I want a game that combines EVE, DayZ, Rust, and Left for Dead. I love EVE, it's a great game, but the combat is and has never been anything to write home about. I love the hardcore PVP and consequences, and I love the massive world with loads of people in it fighting over resources, but the combat just blows. It's unsatisfying.

I love Rust, it's a great game but for the last few years every server has just been 'play until the 12 year old zerg conquers the server, then reroll.' Which means you play for 2 or 3 days per wipe. Meh.

So what would love to see is a game that combines the better qualities of the two games. The building and pvp of Rust mixed with the massive world of EVE. The issue with Rust is that there's not much differentiation in zones and the world is too small. If someone big comes in there's nowhere to run. Additionally there's no lower-value zones to build up in before moving into the more dangerous and contentious areas.

So Rust on huge servers (able to hold 1000 people at a time) on a map that's 100km by 100km with a central, safer, less valuable area with NPC patrols and a store/economy town, with the majority of the map being lawless territory. Lots of points of interest, like old military bases, national guard and police stations, towns with busted up gunstores, etc. with a more DayZ style weapons/vehicle gathering system (but rustesque base building) and all of these points of interest are guarded by Left for Dead style zombie hordes/special zombies/bosses to make the looting more interesting. Add two elements from Conan exiles: Thralls, for repairing weapons, bases, vehicles, making ammunition, guarding your base, gating different base defense systems/weapon attachments etc, and then the Purge (or at least what the purge was supposed to be). Have bases have timers to attack so that you aren't just getting assraped at 5:30am on Tuesday morning and have weekly NPC hordes attack at a time chosen by the clan. Have the NPC attack scale exponentially with clan size so that by the time you have 100 people there just isn't any way to stop the horde (as kind of a soft cap on clan size).

That's the basic idea. It'll never happen. No company that actually has the resources to do this would touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Ah well.

quote:

Ark/Rust/DayZ/etc. definitely suck balls, so yeah, its not that simple.

That said, the fact that I still play project1999 and tons of people love EVE does mean something, and its more than just pure nostalgia.

Modern WoW may as well be a single player or co-op game for how social it is. MMORPGs in the "theme park" mentality end up not being MMO at all, but just rather RPGs. In order to truly embrace the "MMO" you kinda have to be a sandbox.

I would argue that if you put them on a contiuum, the perfect MMOs would be like Everquest which as much as it is "sandbox" compared to WoW, is honestly kinda "theme park" compared to say, DayZ.

Its like

Pure Sandbox - DayZ/Rust/Conan/ARK
Perfect Hybrid - Everquest/Eve
Pure Theme Park - WoW/ESO/GW2

E: I tried to draw a number line but SA just removes the extra spaces so the formatting was all wrong

I don't really know that EVE is less of a sandbox than those other games. There's more to do, far more choices for how to play, a much larger world and you can have a greater impact on a larger number of people. Everquest was basically just a Theme Park, too.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU