Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kedo posted:

Yet vast swaths of the community, desperate to rush through content so they can obtain their BiS items and then log off and never touch their character again, thinks that in order to do Y damage they actually need Y^3 damage in their raid with everyone parsing 99, and anyone who doesn't agree with them is trash.

But it's a loving game. I understand that people play the same game differently, and just because I want to play it one way doesn't mean that everyone should agree with me, but the current meta in endgame raiding focused games like WoW is incredibly toxic and just plain lovely to interact with unless you also have a very specific type of brain worms.

Having actually been a successful DPS in a top 10 raiding guild at the original peak of wow (nax/T3) during a time where I actually kept up, to call those people lovely or toxic is an understatement. I enjoyed the challenge while I kept it up, however:

These people are often bad for existence. I had a blast with certain parts of wow but I never looked back shortly after TBC because of how lovely it was. It's also borderline impossible for anyone else to keep up with the speed grinders and it's unfair to everyone else. I remember we were so far ahead in T3 that we would speedrun the rest. so fast that it changes how the game operates vs everyone, as you start farming obscene gold quickly. World raids in 8-10 minutes, T2 in 25-30 minutes. (normally 1-2hrs). It was absolutely trolling on every level.

So you get ego boost + advantage + lording over everyone = breeds the worst kind of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

the MMORPG subreddit is insanely stoked for it. I don't think there's any genre community that sucks down slop as enthusiastically as MMO players starved for a decent game

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/1be6y6s/runescape_creator_andrew_cower_unveils_new_mmo/

That's a pretty dead subreddit with next to no comments about the game..100-170 upvotes is pretty much nobody gives a poo poo, but yes we could all use a non-poo poo mmo but maybe that golden age has passed.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What does anyone think about Camelot Unchained (new DAOC) if it ever comes out? Practically up there with Star citizen in development timeframes.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

That is yet another in a long line of Korean pay to win garbage, no?

Even the animation looks like poo poo

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Tried the throne & blade / blade & throne, whatever it's called. Wow, does that thing have the worst forced animations continually that I have ever seen - from "transform into travel mode for (activity)" to "open a door" to "Rappel from object to object". Everything feels janky and I think I can understand why overseas responses were they hate it. Oh and the motion blur is turned to an extreme level and is absolutely hilarious until turned off.

It also defaults to max graphics settings at the start and you can't change it for a while (part wau through the intro) which means the intro isn't just awful but doesn't run the best. Meanwhile even lowering to minimum graphics on AMD hardware doesn't help either.

Skills are like a guild wars clone which sounds nicer than it deserves.

I'm sorry, I thought this would be interesting and it's like an attempt at making an assassin's creed MMO without any effort whatsoever.

Even as a free game I'd consider Neverwinter before this.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kedo posted:

Oh goody, do I get to watch a company commit suicide in real time due to fragile male software developer ego?

This is one of my favorite pastimes!

Too anime. You're not our target audience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

YerDa Zabam posted:

Well, I bounced off of Throne and Liberty beta so hard that I'm wondering if I'm just over MMOs in general?
Maybe it is because it is just the En version of an already well established game but I just felt overwhelmed and rushed (even bearing in mind it was just a beta). Maybe I'm just getting old idk

It was a half assed attempt at an mmo that demonstrated scaling in theory. That's it. Everything else about it was basically on par with "look at our shiny unreal engine animations!" mobile games.