Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Third World Reagan posted:

The dokev trailer is out

nothing really great just a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtcQl41oFQI

I have no interest in a Pokemon game but this trailer is heckin' cute.

Pearl Abyss released a few other trailers today. One for a MMOFPS from the guy who made Counter-Strike and apparently hasn't made a good game since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQTlb-tsEo

And one for a Game of Thrones MMO something that started out as a Black Desert spin-off and is now its own thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNvaWXijoO4

No gameplay videos and zero real information on either of them. The answer to the OP is still no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pull up the rope. There's nothing more we can do for them.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I feel like the current OP is an excellent summation of the ennui that permeates this thread and indeed, this entire subforum.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's cool that one of the big selling points of a lot of Kickstarter MMOs has been "We'll be free from evil publishers!" and they've all been object lessons in why 95% of developers need a publisher cracking the whip.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I haven't heard of that, I wonder what it-

quote:

Korean MMO

see y'all in 2023 when the LoL MMO comes out i guess

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm guessing there's some obscure, relatively simple 2D Korean game out there that isn't a particularly good game, but is what I'm looking for.

Welcome to the path, friend. Someday we'll catch up with that dragon.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You can build a world without a plot, but its ultimately just the difference between a sandbox and a theme park. The latter needs a plot to advance the world. The former does not (because the players will provide the plot).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Riot is basically the new Blizzard in that they take an existing genre, give it some tweaks, put a poo poo-load of polish, and come out with a pretty good game. Both Legends of Runeterra and Valorant are both quite good for what they are, even if what they are isn't revolutionary.

Which is to say that their MMO is absolutely going to be "WoW, but" and if you're hoping for a modern MMO in the style of Everquest or Ultima Online, keep throwing money at Kickstarters.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Morhaime's excuse is that Blizzard was focused on WoW and they just wanted to let the community do their thing with DOTA. By the time they realized their mistake, it was too late.

I do wish we lived in the timeline where Heroes of the Storm came out before LoL and the MOBA genre wasn't defined by having a bunch of dumb, fiddly mechanics.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's a fantasy, much like believing that I'm not going to die in the climate famines of 2040 or that MMOs are good.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ambaire posted:

Which one? Google's turning up nothing.

I'm guessing its this one? Chinese action MMO with super-high production values. Very notably subscription-based with no P2W elements. Steam says there's a Western release in the summer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Some day Jason Schreier is going to write his magnum opus on Star Citizen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

30.5 Days posted:

then spend 10-20 min hitting the END key so your guy goes to the next green diamond, kill green diamond guys, press END again to go to the next green diamond.

Wait, so it auto-battles like some loving mobile RPG?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

doomisland posted:

Me on steam pre ordering generic chinese mmo

Its this basically. The most exciting release in the MMO genre in the last two years was...a re-release of a fifteen-year old game. We're dying out here, grasping for any mirage even if its a Chinagame or made by Jeff Bezos.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like how every article I've seen on Palia has said "Made by former Riot/Blizzard/Zynga devs!" and then immediately qualified that with "These studios are so large that this is basically meaningless."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Blizz already tried a Starcraft shooter and canceled it. That it was apparently going well but got axed in favor of Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 definitely sounds like the actions of a studio with an eye towards the future, and not one just desperately turtling around their safer IPs.

It sucks cause I've been watching some pro SC2 and fiddling with the multiplayer myself lately, and I constantly catch myself thinking "This would be an incredible Battlefield style game".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its very obviously a janky PvE theme park hastily bolted on to a PvP sandbox. But its only 40 bucks. If you can get some pals to tool around it in, it'll probably be fun for the first month or two. Its long term success will depend on if Amazon is willing to keep putting money into it and if the devs can actually refine it into something more functional.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Third World Reagan posted:

There were never any good mmos

Yeah, but the one that's about to come out, that's gonna be the good one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Probably Riot's own culture issues and also because the guy in charge of the Riot MMO has now been very directly implicated in all the Cosby Suite stuff. So yeah, they're keeping their heads down.

Its also guaranteed to be one of the biggest releases of whatever year it comes out in, so there's not real benefit to joining in on kicking Blizzard while they're down.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was planning on trying it out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pragmatica posted:

there is some more info about the game here in a good "spoiler-free" summary guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16JzZd2N1DMYkJYTZz5OUAf3Vw4ZaH9nKNLPTzmIw2e8/edit

I had a suspicion permadeath was going to be a thing. All the more reason to be a lazy bum who fishes and drinks tea all day.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm assuming that's more about accessibility for people with mobility issues, but I cannot rule out the possibility that some might be seduced by the sensuous curves of papercraft graphics.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The servers appear to be down right now and the devs haven't posted many updates beyond "The servers are down." Presumably because that sounds better than "oh god oh god oh gently caress"

Link to the game's Discord

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
p sure most of those games went to the medium place

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

30.5 Days posted:

Some people liked it, but most did not, and everyone stopped talking about it pretty quick. Some issues encountered at launch:

* They wanted a tutorial that would take your first character from 1 to cap while teaching you the game, but they didn't want to limit it to once per account (probably reasonable, if you decide halfway through you want to try a different class, they didn't want you to be hosed over) and so it couldn't be much faster/easier than leveling the regular way. As a result, your first interaction with the game is a 6-10 hour slog of the most loving boring half-assed questline ever conceived. Just how loving unpleasant the game was when you first logged in was terrible.

why can't the tutorial be faster. why can't the leveling process for your PvP focused MMO just be a couple of hours of introducing mechanics and systems before letting you do the thing you bought the game to do

why why why why

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm really curious as to what the final price tag for the LoL MMO is going to be, because I'm fairly confident it's going to be equivalent to the GDP of a small country.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is it an issue with technology? We can make skin appear as real as our own, but can't explain to a computer how to create an interesting world?

There is a drastic difference between teaching a computer more efficient ways to render graphics and teaching a computer to behave in a way that is both realistic and, more importantly, enjoyable for the player. For what it's worth, the things you describe have actually been attempted before. Ultima Online had a whole ecology that got annihilated the moment servers launched. The issue is not so much what is technology capable of it, its how players interact with your world. And inevitably, MMO players play like locusts.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I said come in! posted:

Whoa, is there more about the late stage cancer thing he mentioned? I didn't know about that about Kira, and that is really heartbreaking if he is seriously sick. Kira is a super positive contributor and influence on the MMO community. His Youtube content is really good.

He's mentioned in earlier videos that he has a chronic health issue that keeps him from having a regular job. I hadn't heard it was cancer though. :(

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A dying man in the desert will grasp at any mirage of water.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah its too bad WoW went so bad mechanically because the setting and story is a lot better than FFXIV.

I feel like this is one of those new sentences that has never been said before.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kedo posted:

Yes thread, yesssss. Workshop this game until a goon dev feels a burning need to create it...

I'll get the wiki started

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Goddammit, now I actually want a Weird West MMO, gently caress all of you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hra Mormo posted:

It's like they almost cracked the code that stupid grinds are dumb and need to get the axe, but didn't quite finish the train of thought.

But if you don't have a hellacious grind for everything, then how will you feel like you earned it???

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's been rumors about the Riot MMO for ages which indicates that some level of work was being done, and I don't think they poached Ghostcrawler from Blizzard or did the big lore revamp years ago just for the sake of League itself. That said, they only picked a guy for Game Director a few months ago and last I checked, they still had openings for stuff like Senior Combat Designer and Senior AI Designer. Optimistically 2024, realistically 2025.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I do not trust a Riot MMO helmed by a WoW dev to end up being good.

I think it'll be good. But its also 100% going to be a theme park MMO that refines on FF14 and WoW, so yeah, those of you want a new EQ-style MMO still have about thirty years of wandering in the desert left.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ghostcrawler never had any specific allegations aimed at him in either the Blizzard or Riot cases beyond being associated with the whole Cosby Suite thing at Blizzard. Of course, being a lead guy at one studio accused of rampant sexual misconduct and then becoming an executive at another studio accused of rampant sexual misconduct is Not a Good Look.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
While the near future of the genre is a wasteland, Palia still exists and isn't massively overpromising or run by an MLM scammer. They havent officially announced a release date, but it'll probably by mid-late 2023.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 21, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Diablo Immortal has made $100 million despite the massive negative press. Whether they're made in China or the US, there is no future for big-budget mobile games except microtransaction hellscapes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I actually don't think the Riot MMO is going to cause a revitalization of AAA MMO's. A lot of studios got burned trying to chase WoW money and have since realized that live service games like Destiny or Fortnite are way easier and more profitable. It won't help that Riot is a juggernaut that can afford to dump a tremendous amount of money and resources into this game, more so than even other top-tier studios. Its just going to be too much of a outlier for executives to consider worth copying, imo.

On the other hand, a lot of executives are enormous loving idiots so who knows.

I said come in! posted:

Supposedly the new Riot MMORPG, the progress on development so far is that the entire gameworld terrain, dungeons, cities, etc. is finished now. Which I mean probably doesn't mean much. I don't think its populated with quests, items, mobs, etc. game still has a few years to go, but it sounds like development is moving along well.

Where are you hearing this out of curiosity? AFAIK, Ghostcrawler is the only who's been saying stuff about the MMO and he has said nothing definitive about the game's progress other than its going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

frajaq posted:

How's the Riot MMO going everyone?

The only people who know are the people working on it. Ghostcrawler has said they want to release some solid information about it this year and my guess for that would be around the big League championship game in November. He talks about it decently often on his Twitter, but never in specifics so its just reading entrails for the most part.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 18, 2022